Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

I think GAcoaster is right. When we look at projections we’re 9x out of ten beholden to school schedules. Orlando doesn’t have the shoulder seasons it used to but I think there’s some strategy behind the grand opening date being at the beginning of a downward trend in daily attendance, even though let’s be honest Disney’s always miserably busy.

Hate that Hollywood Studios Galaxy Edge opening is so far away still and Disneyland is at the end of this month. Debating if I should just give up all social media or just YouTube? So I don’t ruin the whole experience when Hollywood Studios version opens. I think if I just read the reviews on the food and beverages it won’t ruin my entire experience.

Call me crazy, but I don’t think SWL in Orlando will get the same turn out as Potter did on day 1. There are a lot of factors as to why I feel this way.

The demand for a Potter land in a theme park was much higher then there will be this. Star Wars is already represented pretty well in DHS, and has for years. Especially when Disney land is opening first, add in the lack of RotR, and the general consensus that it will be crazy busy, and fewer people may show.

Hate that Hollywood Studios Galaxy Edge opening is so far away still and Disneyland is at the end of this month. Debating if I should just give up all social media or just YouTube? So I don’t ruin the whole experience when Hollywood Studios version opens. I think if I just read the reviews on the food and beverages it won’t ruin my entire experience.

Speaking only for myself, I plan to watch shop tours and merch/food & bev reviews, but I'll be trying to avoid full land walk-throughs and anything from inside Smuggler's Run.

Hibernol also works on theme park anticipation.
Watch Saturday Night Live Highlight: Hibernol - NBC.com

We now have official pricing for the Savi's Worshop build-your-own-lightsaber experience: $199.99 plus tax. Includes the blade, no option to leave out the blade.

Ouch. That previously-rumored $109 price point sounds really good right about now. Guess I'll be passing on this, unfortunately.

I see a lot of people going "well this is the price of a high end lightsaber anyway" and I don't think that's the point here. I think Disney honestly thinks they can sell these things at a scale much larger than existing demand, especially for something huge you have to cary around the park.

So are we going to bet that if Disney figures out the problems with ROTR in Disneyland they open it in Orlando asap or they just delay it to push second visits even if it could be ready. My money is on the latter in the current climate where disneyworld is willing to intentionally limit capacity to push longer stays.

Last edited:
I see a lot of people going "well this is the price of a high end lightsaber anyway" and I don't think that's the point here. I think Disney honestly thinks they can sell these things at a scale much larger than existing demand, especially for something huge you have to cary around the park.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see if the price, potential requirement to make an appointment, and the hassle of lugging it around the park (though I'm sure there will be the usual "send it to the front of the park" option) will be impediments for some people.

In other news, the build-a-droids are going to be $99.99. A bargain, comparatively.

This video has extensive pricing for most of the Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities merchandise (and several of the other merch locations), including the so-called Legacy lightsabers...

Those are starting at $109 (not including the blade), so that must be where that figure originated from. They’re not all uniform price, however, with some also in the $129 - $149 range. Slightly more reasonable and easier to justify, but I'll still be on the fence.

Also, some of the pricing on the general merchandise is oddly schizophrenic. Some seems SUPER expensive and overpriced, while other stuff (especially items in the Toydarian Toymaker shop) seems quite fair.

We now have official pricing for the Savi's Worshop build-your-own-lightsaber experience: $199.99 plus tax. Includes the blade, no option to leave out the blade.

Ouch. That previously-rumored $109 price point sounds really good right about now. Guess I'll be passing on this, unfortunately.

Yeah, all those insiders failed pretty consistently.

I think Disney is overestimating the number of hard core Star Wars fans with money to burn who haven't already dropped it elsewhere. But assuming they can move $200 lightsabers--don't they think that will deplete the souvenir budget? A lot of $50 - $100 items on that list. Maybe they keep a handful just for show, but I can't see even the average Disney family dropping $1000s on merch here.

I think Disney is overestimating the number of hard core Star Wars fans with money to burn who haven't already dropped it elsewhere. But assuming they can move $200 lightsabers--don't they think that will deplete the souvenir budget? A lot of $50 - $100 items on that list. Maybe they keep a handful just for show, but I can't see even the average Disney family dropping $1000s on merch here.

This morning I asked a coworker who is a SW fan and owns lightsabers his thoughts. He said for the quality on its own, no, but if the experience included is good enough he’d think about it. So it seems like it depends on the show itself.

I don't want to start an entire Disney vs. Universal debate, but I find it odd that Disney would charge you (and have a capacity limit) for your experience while Uni doesn't. I would assume that if Disney replicated the Ollivanders experience it would increase sales for guests who may not know what they were selling.

$200 is an insane price for a souvenir. When you’re making a whole show based off that souvenir I find it insulting they are going to charge $200 for it. Families are going to walk in without knowing and their kid is going to be very angry when they have to say no. The wan experience is a much better price point.

$200 is an insane price for a souvenir. When you’re making a whole show based off that souvenir I find it insulting they are going to charge $200 for it. Families are going to walk in without knowing and their kid is going to be very angry when they have to say no. The wan experience is a much better price point.

I thought indications were guests will pay up front. So not an Olivanders situation where you suddenly find yourself with little choice but to buy a wand or disappoint your kid.

(Of course, all bets are off the next time the economy dips and attendance/spending doesn't live up to projections.)

I thought indications were guests will pay up front. So not an Olivanders situation where you suddenly find yourself with little choice but to buy a wand or disappoint your kid.

(Of course, all bets are off the next time the economy dips and attendance/spending doesn't live up to projections.)
Ahhh gotcha. Still believe it’s far too much for the experience.