Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Stranger Things

I love this show but I’m kinda getting fatigued on nostalgia as a selling point. It was a nice bonus of the first season but seemed like a crutch in the second season and now in season 3 it feels like a gimmick.

Agreed. They've earned enough store credit that I'll give it a chance, but the nostalgia felt more organic in the first. They played D&D because that's what we did in those days--this trailer feels more like Ready Player 1. Throwing as many 'memberberries on screen as they can fit.

Mad Max's d-bag brother as a lifeguard is a stroke of genius, tho.

The Duffers said THE THING and the films of David Cronenberg were a major influence on their approach to this season. After seeing that creature at the end, I now know why!

There's a theory out there that the bite Billy has in the trailer turns him into the monster at the end, which would definitely fit the mold of The Thing/The Fly.

Agreed. They've earned enough store credit that I'll give it a chance, but the nostalgia felt more organic in the first. They played D&D because that's what we did in those days--this trailer feels more like Ready Player 1. Throwing as many 'memberberries on screen as they can fit.

Mad Max's d-bag brother as a lifeguard is a stroke of genius, tho.

I don't think ST could be anywhere near as cringey as RPO if it tried. I know that this is a stupid thing to care about, but dear god the avatar characters in that movie were really ugly.

Got to check out the season 3 premiere at the Ford Amphitheater in Hollywood. David Harbour was there for a Q&A before the episode premiered.

Not going to say anything to spoil it, but it’s great! Everyone really enjoyed it. I think you will too! Again, I won’t spoil it, but I’m going to be vague in the spoiler tag. If you don’t want to know anything and want to watch it cold blind you probably don’t want to read it.

I saw talk about there being “two villains” in the story. You can see who they will be at the very beginning and at the end of the episode....that is, if that theory I read on this thread is true (and it looks like it will).

Reviews for the season are solid so far.

I'm pleased that it sounds like Will - after being absent most of a season and possessed for much of the next - gets a chance to have his psychology explored after those experiences.

Just to clarify my post in case people thought I watched the whole season....it was just the first episode I watched. It should be a great season.

David Harbour did say that his favorite episode in the season was 8.

Its time....

Nice little cut of BTTF and quite a large use of Woody the Woodpecker

I get they tried to inject more humor to cover how dark this season is but a lot of it was a miss.

Last edited:
Halfway through but I already love it more than 1&2. The neon of the mall is amazing whenever it comes on and the soundtrack is my favorite of the 3 seasons. Love the fact that they finally incorporated elements of The Thing into the show and the new monster is disgusting.

Binged it throughout the day. Unusual for me, so who knows, may affect my opinion? Overall liked it much better than 2, not as much as 1. Some pacing issues in the final few episodes, but music choices strong throughout.

That said, absolutely ready for ST to be over. Felt like a decent ending to a trilogy, and running out of 80s culture to reference. (Tho they absolutely the nailed the "feel" of Starcourt Mall and also a communal pool in 1985, even as it was an homage to Caddyshack and Fast Times.) Also, I'll say it because they're old enough now, as the kid cast ages, none of them turning into a great actor. No Harry Potter-like casting here.

As @OhHaiInternet95 says, the mid-credits stinger screams the main plot of the inevitable ST 4, and I just groaned. MCU problem of characters not staying dead.