Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

None of the merch looks all that great so far.

The lightsaber looks plastic. For $200, I would expect metal. The droid is hilarious and a great theme park fan gift, but it doesn’t move at all! I’m not expecting much movement, but it has to have a motor in it somewhere.

Edit: should’ve watched the whole video. The droid is great merch! A tad overpriced, but I’d buy one of those over a lightsaber in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
To be fair, everyone’s biggest critique of Pandora is that it feels lifeless.

I think entertainment in Galaxy’s Edge is important. And it should be there day one (as should ROTR, but I digress).

I think SW:GE is going to be great. I also think Disney is potentially fumbling something that’s decades in the making.

None of the merch looks all that great so far.

The lightsaber looks plastic. For $200, I would expect metal. The droid is hilarious and a great theme park fan gift, but it doesn’t move at all! I’m not expecting much movement, but it has to have a motor in it somewhere.

Watch the vid again. It had multiple axises of movement.

Lots of great reviews up on the magic boards.

One member mentioned certain walk around characters will be “working on” ships, and doing more then just taking photos. So while it’s not “entertainment”, at least there will be something in place to make the area feel more alive.

Cantina appeared to have the longest wait of all the attractions. Most had to skip it.

I will complain about them overpricing the lightsaber (as that does look hella cheap), as it really does look cheap.

The droids are going to be knockouts though, I am going to bet on that.

After watching the video, the droids do look pretty good. I do wonder how much movement it has. It moves back and forth, and spins. Does it turn, etc?

Well, read the first review from a CM/guest on SR. Short answer, Star Tours on steroids. Long answer, very detailed and very cool recreation of the Falcon and enough randomness in the ride experience to drive rerideability. One interesting note, which I have not heard before, is an Autopilot button to forgo having to participate in the interactive function and just enjoy the ride experience.

Interesting about the button, and lack of any mention before. I wonder if it's newly activated. If the hyperspace throttle is still active, I'd do autopilot in a heartbeat probably. You only get to control HALF of the steering anyway.

It's NOT Star Tours on steroids, it has a lower height restriction.

Rerideability for a ride that will have 2-3 hour waits for years is rather meaningless to most.

Can you use the lightsabers in the land? The huge draw of buying a HP wand is the ability to actually use it throughout the land and it’s small enough to bring back on repeat visits. The lightsaber is neat but not something I’d want to carry around the park, it will end up sitting on a shelf or in a closet for most people I imagine.

"This is your cap- uh, DJ" is a brilliant line for the Rex droid. Love that!

I've never got the thing about buying lightsabers, much less $200 ones...

Here is another lightsaber video....I still think $200 is way too much. I’d prefer a droid instead.

Weak. If it doesn't function like it does in the movies where when turned off there's only the hilt, then $200 is definitely a lot for a glorified plastic light up toy with sound effects.

I was originally gonna buy a lightsaber just to be that guy who dropped $200 on one, but after those videos I'm gonna have to look and see how they feel in person before I even consider it. Definitely gonna get a droid though.

Based on what I'm hearing (and there's plenty of firsthand reports on Magic), the strategy seems to be avoid the urge to go right to Falcon, which can handle the masses. Instead, hit the lightsaber experience or Oga's Cantina first, as those... can't.

Sounds like they emergency juiced up some atmosphere entertainment, too. Nothing crazy, but enough to make the world feel lived in.