Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Kings Island General Discussion

*Mystic Timbers opens* KI Fanboys: “BOOOOO! WE WANT A GIGA!”

*Plans leak fit a new giga* KI Fanboys: “BOOOOO! The giga sucks!”

Serious note: it looks fun. Of course they’re not going to have it top Millennium or Vengeance coaster as they don’t want to cannibalize Cedar Point too much. If this was going to SFMM I almost guarantee SFMM fanboys would eat this up.

Yeah so many people had convinced themselves that it would be a record breaker that they are having trouble accepting what should still be a great ride.

Yeah so many people had convinced themselves that it would be a record breaker that they are having trouble accepting what should still be a great ride.

The only coaster I wish this was instead of this is an Intamin blitz or B&M floorless with inversions. KI needs some rides with inversions that don't suck. That being said I am super pumped for this ride.

The only coaster I wish this was instead of this is an Intamin blitz or B&M floorless with inversions. KI needs some rides with inversions that don't suck. That being said I am super pumped for this ride.

I'd love a strat, but I don't know we'll ever see another one of those. I'm probably in the minority there though. After that, a blitz or giga, or an El Toro type woodie, would be my top choices. I think a floorless would go just fine where Vortex sits, so two birds with one stone.

The layout is short and it proooobably won’t be a top 10 for me....but it looks really fun. Give me some good airtime and I’m good.

I'd love a strat, but I don't know we'll ever see another one of those. I'm probably in the minority there though. After that, a blitz or giga, or an El Toro type woodie, would be my top choices. I think a floorless would go just fine where Vortex sits, so two birds with one stone.

A floorless would be a much better ride than Vortex. However, I'd prefer an Intamin Megalite or Blitz in that space. I really like Mystic Timbers but just wish that it were longer. It seems to leave a lot of speed unused at the end. So, a longer ride would be great.

I was hoping that the new giga would be a little longer or have a more twisting layout than what seems to be not much more than an out and back. Still, I'm still excited about it. Speed? Good. Hills? Good. New coaster? All good.

One additional thing. I think that one area that KI could use some more help is in the dark ride space. It would be interesting if they could build either a Flying Theater or boat ride. In the area of The Bat and Banshee, they could focus on a haunted river/fantasy styled ride that would be in keeping with those themes. Rename Action Zone, maybe, to rebrand to a fantasy theme. Sometimes, as much as I love coasters, I also like a good boat ride that won't necessarily soak me. A Flying Theater is a different type of ride that we don't have much exposure to up here. I just don't know the cost to build and maintain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks short, given all the space the park has to work with. It will make the fanboys happy, but not sure it will move the needle on attendance all that much. That park always has a strong following... maybe there would be a better ROI elsewhere in the chain?

ki-orion-mg1.jpg

Orion | Kings Island's Tallest, Fastest and Longest Steel Coaster

I'm happy with this. Wouldn't have complained if it was longer but it has some nice elements. I know that some on a different site complained about it becoming value-engineered or not the tallest giga in the Cedar Fair chain but I'm good. It's probably a little hard when you have two big parks in the same state and both with giga's. Plus, Cedar Point has more visitors and thus it will get more priority. The area for the announcement was packed last night even at 8:30, which was when I left after having been there all day.

I'm happy with this. Wouldn't have complained if it was longer but it has some nice elements. I know that some on a different site complained about it becoming value-engineered or not the tallest giga in the Cedar Fair chain but I'm good. It's probably a little hard when you have two big parks in the same state and both with giga's. Plus, Cedar Point has more visitors and thus it will get more priority. The area for the announcement was packed last night even at 8:30, which was when I left after having been there all day.

I think it looks great, people are miserable. Kings Island needed this sort of coaster.

I think it looks great, people are miserable. Kings Island needed this sort of coaster.

Funny thing is that I might drive faster than the coaster goes when I first go there to ride it. For anyone on I-71, fair warning is supplied to stay out of the fast lane. Of course, the Highway Patrol is in that area frequently so maybe I'll just ensure that I leave early enough that I don't have to rush. I'm going to love the new skyline of the park with Banshee on the left, Orion in the center, and Diamondback on the right. That's a nice collection of B&M's.

Funny thing is that I might drive faster than the coaster goes when I first go there to ride it. For anyone on I-71, fair warning is supplied to stay out of the fast lane. Of course, the Highway Patrol is in that area frequently so maybe I'll just ensure that I leave early enough that I don't have to rush. I'm going to love the new skyline of the park with Banshee on the left, Orion in the center, and Diamondback on the right. That's a nice collection of B&M's.

I love Banshee so I’m an odd duck but the next addition KI needs to look at the Vortex problem. They need another inverting sit down but I don’t think it should be B&M. I wonder if one of the new Vekoma launches models would fit that bill.