Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Aladdin

59% RT Score
58 Metacritic
When Disney waits until day before to release their reviews, you know things aren’t good.

Basically, from what I’ve heard, it’s better than most expected, but also, hearing that it’s “not terrible” doesn’t instill confidence.

I probably won’t. I have to go tonight though because this is when everyone else I know is going and I don’t like going to movies alone. I’ve done it once and it felt weird.

Hang in there! I'm going tonight too and I also hated going to the movies alone until I got moviepass (I use A-List now). Now to me, if there's a movie no one else wants to see, I go there relaxing and kinda treat it as a personal spa day seeing what I want, when I want and seated wherever I want.

That being said, the second trailer looked good for this, so hopefully it's a fun time. I think Disney is trying to keep the brands fresh and cash in a nostalgia but they should've done something more a la Malificent and did it with some sort of twist or different perspective.

That being said, the second trailer looked good for this, so hopefully it's a fun time. I think Disney is trying to keep the brands fresh and cash in a nostalgia but they should've done something more a la Malificent and did it with some sort of twist or different perspective.

The initial plan was for Disney to do a live action prequel focusing on Genie that would later lead to the Aladdin remake. Then, the former got shelved for some reason.

I thought it was fun and the world itself was a great design. Jasmine stole the show singing talent wise.

Will Smith was fun when they let him work the material to his style but I wish they did more with him because his charisma carries the entire thing. When he wasn't on screen, it dragged a bit.

This movie sounds like it had a lot of the right pieces, but they couldn’t figure out how to put them together in the right way.

$90M 3-day/$112M 4-day opening. Poor RT score, but an ‘A’ CinemaScore, which means audiences enjoyed it.

I think nostalgia is mostly working in the movie’s favor right now. Mena Moussaud was a weak Aladdin imo, but Will Smith and Naomi Scott were fantastic. Will Smith truly carried the movie as Genie.

$90M 3-day/$112M 4-day opening. Poor RT score, but an ‘A’ CinemaScore, which means audiences enjoyed it.

I think nostalgia is mostly working in the movie’s favor right now. Mena Moussaud was a weak Aladdin imo, but Will Smith and Naomi Scott we’re fantastic. Will Smith truly carried the movie as Genie.
The whole movie pales in comparison to the original. So much was changed and not for the better in most cases. Compare this to Jungle Book which was great and I actually think was an improvement on the original.

I saw Aladdin this weekend and was thoroughly enchanted. The original is in my top 3 of Disney movies (ranking below only Mulan and The Lion King), so I went in pretty unsure. Overall Mena Moussaud wasn't as good of a singer as Naomi Scott, but it was a really fun movie. I actually preferred this live action Jasmine to the animated version. I do think Marwan Kenzari was not a great Jafar - just didn't have that menacing, creepy evil man tone like the original. Will Smith for me was the standout though. I really enjoyed his take on The Genie. Overall I was really happy with the movie and would gladly see it again.

This movie has been a real sleeper hit. I feel like I haven't heard much buzz around the movie, but even into it's fifth weekend, it hasn't fallen out of the Top 3 yet, will soon pass $300M domestically (currently sitting at $287M) and is over $810M WW. I think this movies continued success has a lot to due with the failures of other big tentpoles since Aladdin's release though - Godzilla 2, Dark Phoenix, MIB International, SLoP 2, etc. With so many disappointments, it's provided a window for this movies continued success.

Also, I think Aladdin had the widest reach so far this Summer. It had a built-in audience, sure, as It's Disney and the only other movie geared to kids was SLOP2. But other than genre sequels or horror, general audiences were pretty much left with only Aladdin or Rocketman.

I am honestly not shocked of Return of Jafar being adapted. The film's been a real sleeper hit in the box office, and it's strangely one of those that Disney's done that makes a lot of sense to jump to a franchise, because there's material to use as it stands.

Along with that, there's also the potential to use more of the Arabian Nights story than just Aladdin, and I hope that's somewhat of a case with Jafar; even if it's something that I think doesn't need a sequel.