Godzilla 2 (2019) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Godzilla 2 (2019)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Critical reception is pretty bad with a 55% score on RT.

I've seen half of the film but from what I saw the sequences were flipping amazing however the story was a bit weak.

When it comes to reviews, this is a film where I'm not taking most reviews into account. Since when it comes to Kaiju/giant monster films, stuff like story and whatever the human characters are doing take a backseat to the Money which is giant monsters fighting and whatnot. That's the visual spectacle I'm here for, the humans could be playing tiddlywinks, as long as I'm getting good action scenes with the big creatures, all is well.

An from what I'm reading, this film totally delivers in spades the big Kaiju action.

The last thing when I see this film, will be wanting a story.

If you want a film with a story, there's other great films coming out in the span of the next few weeks. Not even mentioning other films from the past few weeks..

Reactions: SkiBum
The last thing when I see this film, will be wanting a story.

If you want a film with a story, there's other great films coming out in the span of the next few weeks. Not even mentioning other films from the past few weeks..

Plus, the first Godzilla didn't have nearly enough Godzilla. That was annoying. I'm paying money to watch big monsters fight each other with a total lack of abandon. I don't care about the humans. Give me Godzilla.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
As a Godzilla fanboy, most of the negative reviews seem to be harping on things that are pretty normal Godzilla movie fare, ie a goofy human story. So I'm still expecting to love this.

Have tickets for IMAX tomorrow night

Reactions: SkiBum
So this was definitely a monster movie. The story was complete ass, and some of the dialogue was hilariously bad, but the monster visuals and action were great, and there was lot of it, so if you’re into that go see it.

Saw this movie tonight.
Overall I enjoyed it for what it was. However knowing there is a Godzilla Vs Kong coming out next year I was at points wishing this would have been that, Especially how they went of their way to mention skull island multiple times. (The end credit visuals was just over the top with it as well) I did think that Godzilla surprisingly seemed pretty weak until he exploded or became overheated with the radiation and won the fight. But I am excited for the next one and will be Team Kong. (Please have there actually be a winner in the next movie)

Last edited:
Saw this movie tonight.
Overall I enjoyed it for what it was. However knowing there is a Godzilla Vs Kong coming out next year I was at points wishing this would have been that, Especially how they went of their way to mention skull island multiple times. (The end credit visuals was just over the top with it as well) I did think that Godzilla surprisingly seemed pretty weak until he exploded or became overheated with the radiation and won the fight. But I am excited for the next one and will be Team Kong. (Please have there actually be a winner in the next movie)

The good:
Amazing visuals and fight sequences throughout
Further exploration of the whole hollow earth story
The CGI of Godzilla in this is outstanding

The Bad
The story - one example being - you decided to wakeup some titans to destroy half the earth - fine, but you decided to wakeup the biggest who may be another alpha and without doing any investigation into the history of that titan? Even for a giant monster movie where you suspend your intelect and common sense this was stupid.

Incredible. If it wasn’t for Endgame this would far and away be my favorite movie of the year. Just pitch perfect in every regard for what they were going for

Dang it. I'm not seeing it until 3:00 today and seeing all these spoiler lines is killing me. I am trying to ignore them.

So according to Deadline, it massively underperformed WB, Toho, and Legendary's expectations worldwide with the exception of SE Asia. With the huge number of releases coming up, I think this not bode well at least for the Monsterverse Godzilla series....especially with Toho looking very much at the reception of this film in regards to the contract extension...one more chance with Godzilla vs Kong in 2020.

Last edited:
I liked it a lot. The human parts weren’t terrible, but the monster parts made up for it. It’s now obvious it’s not Kong Vs Godzilla in the next one really. They will join together to fight the new monstrosity Tywin makes.

Man does this just increase my want for a Godzilla ride.

Last edited: