Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

No More Dishes at Florean Fortescue

"I hate cones, but please just put the scoops in my cupped hands."

-my kid, in a week

:O

I wonder if that would trigger an automatic "okay, here's a cup".

I'd say ask for a cup of water, drink the water, and then put your cone right in, but as far as I can recall the ice cream shop doesn't have the free plastic water cups. I'm sure one could be obtained from Leaky Cauldron, though, for those who are desperate.

Really bad move here. Will be no ice cream for me when I'm there this year. I don't like cones and won't pay for the fancy cup. Thanks, Universal!

This is 100% not a change due to environmentalism. Companies only make those kinds of changes when they are able to announce them in a press release. They are usually large / company wide policies (did they ban paper cups elsewhere?), companies do not do small changes to save the planet.

This is to increase profit.

This is 100% not a change due to environmentalism. Companies only make those kinds of changes when they are able to announce them in a press release. They are usually large / company wide policies (did they ban paper cups elsewhere?), companies do not do small changes to save the planet.

This is to increase profit.

Well, they've made other changes without any fanfare so that's not exactly true...

Regardless, I've found cups elsewhere around the resort so IDK the deal.

Well, they've made other changes without any fanfare so that's not exactly true...

Regardless, I've found cups elsewhere around the resort so IDK the deal.
Do you mean, other environmental related changes? Curious about these other changes. :) I do think I could have said more things like "usually", because you are right, it's not for sure that an environment change is made and has a related announcement... It's just so close to 100% it's crazy. Numerous times I've seen things like, "TEAM MEMBERS - We are giving you your own coffee cups to reuse, instead of using disposable cups."

Also... I may have missed this but, are they still giving out spoons? That would be a much bigger environmental win.

Side notes on this, there's a few extra possibilities (mostly related to profit)...
1) Universal will be looking at the impact of this (if it effects sales/profits). It's possible they could revert back if it does impact sales.
2) it's possible they are using this location to test if removing these cups "works," and may expand this to other locations
3) it's possible they are only doing this for summer/busy season, for demand/price related reasons... They can't do "demand related prices" for food (like they do for tickets), but they can quietly limit guest's ability to purchase cheaper options and bring them back during slower times

Last edited:
According to the menu on Universal's website, soft-serve ice cream served in a waffle cone is now $5.99. And it's $7.49 to have it served in a souvenir cup.

Was the paper cup option really less than $5.99?

Weird.

Soft serve and hard pack in a paper cup were, I believe, $4.99, and were $5.99 in a waffle cone for both.

The souvenir glass option has dramatically come down in price, however. Used to be $10.99 for both soft and hard. So I wonder if the design has changed to something more overtly "cheap"-looking, or if the portion size has gone down.

Weird.

Soft serve and hard pack in a paper cup were, I believe, $4.99, and were $5.99 in a waffle cone for both.

The souvenir glass option has dramatically come down in price, however. Used to be $10.99 for both soft and hard. So I wonder if the design has changed to something more overtly "cheap"-looking, or if the portion size has gone down.
It's possible the souvenir cup wasn't that costly to make, but maybe it didn't get purchased often at the higher price. It's possible that reducing the top end price but elimination of the low end price is going to lead to higher profit.

Say the souvenir cup costs 20 cents, paper cup costs 1 cent, but the price difference is $2.50... that's $2.31 more per sale they're making. It's really rough numbers but you get the idea

Last edited:
It's possible the souvenir cup wasn't that costly to make, but maybe it didn't get purchased often at the higher price. It's possible that reducing the top end price but elimination of the low end price is going to lead to higher profit.

Say the souvenir cup costs 20 cents, paper cup costs 1 cent, but the price difference is $2.50... that's $2.31 more per sale they're making. It's really rough numbers but you get the idea
Just gonna lead to more waste, with plastic souvenir cups being tossed in garbage. But hey, profit.

It looks nice - kind of like an oversized martini glass. I didn't pick it up, although I'm pretty confident it's just plastic.

Just gonna lead to more waste, with plastic souvenir cups being tossed in garbage. But hey, profit.
The amount of souvenir cups and stuff that people just throw away most would never believe. So yeah, you’re right. People don’t like carrying extra things around if they don’t have to.

It looks nice - kind of like an oversized martini glass. I didn't pick it up, although I'm pretty confident it's just plastic.
When was the last time F&B sold something as “souvenir” and it WASNT plastic? Seriously.

The amount of souvenir cups and stuff that people just throw away most would never believe. So yeah, you’re right. People don’t like carrying extra things around if they don’t have to.
Speaking of, I saw this at The Chocolate Emporium just recently (no one came back to this table)...

upload_2019-5-24_16-42-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-24_16-42-11.png
    upload_2019-5-24_16-42-11.png
    615.7 KB · Views: 2

When was the last time F&B sold something as “souvenir” and it WASNT plastic? Seriously.
Just walked by a garbage can in CityWalk filled with the refillable all day cups. So much plastic thrown away!

Speaking of, I saw this at The Chocolate Emporium just recently (no one came back to this table)...

View attachment 9648
Because, to be blunt, those "souvenir glasses" that the ice cream comes in at Toothsome is such cheap plastic that it's not even worth saving as a keepsake. If I can't put it in the dishwasher, I have no use for said product for repeat usage.