Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Remy's Ratatouille Adventure

Given the amount of 3D used in the parks, I'm amazed that Universal haven't developed something like this:

2936645_1.jpg

Understandably, some rides use different types of 3D but it would be more comfortable for people like you who wear glasses and if you have the option of using the same lense for both eyes, you can also eliminate the 3D effect.

The added bonus for Universal and Disney is that they have something new to sell and profit from plus tiny saving in not having to clean and sterilise the 3D glasses and eventually replace them.
That would cost them more to develop than would be worth and wouldn't even be able to be sure they would sell until it hit the shelves. Especially since they use a specific 3D glasses brand. Also, it wouldn't save them any money as they can't just expect everyone would have purchased something like that... they would still have to provide 3D glasses to the masses.

Also, little known fact... Universal literally throws away all of their glasses into a compactor at Shrek and gets new shipments roughly every three months as they are the lower quality glasses.

That would cost them more to develop than would be worth and wouldn't even be able to be sure they would sell until it hit the shelves. Especially since they use a specific 3D glasses brand. Also, it wouldn't save them any money as they can't just expect everyone would have purchased something like that... they would still have to provide 3D glasses to the masses.

Also, little known fact... Universal literally throws away all of their glasses into a compactor at Shrek and gets new shipments roughly every three months as they are the lower quality glasses.

If they would work with every 3D attraction, development cost would be tiny. It’s nothing more than a clip and some film. I don’t know how much people would be willing to pay but $10 would be a bargain to a lot of people and they would cost pennies to manufacture.

Like I said though, having it work with every 3D attraction is the issue.

Either way, this is the Ratatouille thread (and there's actually been rumors that Rat may run as a 2D ride). Let's try to get back on topic. If anyone wishes to continue the conversation, take it over to the screenz thread.

That's kind of impossible
As Scott posted this has been a thing for a while. The vocal minority that complains about 3D can deal with some decreased brightness and enjoy their 2d glasses. The fact that parks are willing to look into downgrading attractions to satisfy these people is insane. I don't know why they just don't upgrade fast and furious to proper 3d since people don't care about skipping it anyway.

If they release this ride downgraded I'll be pissed.

As Scott posted this has been a thing for a while. The vocal minority that complains about 3D can deal with some decreased brightness and enjoy their 2d glasses. The fact that parks are willing to look into downgrading attractions to satisfy these people is insane. I don't know why they just don't upgrade fast and furious to proper 3d since people don't care about skipping it anyway.

If they release this ride downgraded I'll be pissed.
It’s not like Epcot is overrun with 3D rides though so I’m not exactly sure on what their reasoning would be if the ultimately did decide to not include it.

It’s not like Epcot is overrun with 3D rides though so I’m not exactly sure on what their reasoning would be if the ultimately did decide to not include it.
Even if they did have a lot of 3d that has nothing to do with the merits of 3d on this particular ride.

Given the amount of 3D used in the parks, I'm amazed that Universal haven't developed something like this:

2936645_1.jpg

Understandably, some rides use different types of 3D but it would be more comfortable for people like you who wear glasses and if you have the option of using the same lense for both eyes, you can also eliminate the 3D effect.

The added bonus for Universal and Disney is that they have something new to sell and profit from plus tiny saving in not having to clean and sterilise the 3D glasses and eventually replace them.
Wouldn't;t work in 90% of the rides. Those are polarized (cheap) glasses, but everything except Shrek uses dichroic filters (alters wavelength) - those glasses are much more expensive which is why they have RFD in them.

I haven't been to the International Gateway in years (2014 or 2015) so it's going to be weird seeing it after the Skyliner and Remy.

So I went on Ratitoulle this morning (Yes, I’m actually at DLP), and they were still doing 3D.

As for the ride itself: it’s nice, but after being subjected to Spidey, Transformers, and Potter, it’s slightly underwhelming. During the “simulator” portions of the ride, there’s hardly any movement. I would like to hope they will fix that on this version, but I seriously doubt it.

Overall, it will be a nice ride for Epcot, but it will be far from being one of the best rides in Orlando.

Last edited:
So I went on Ratitoulle this morning (Yes, I’m actually at DLP), and they were still doing 3D.

As for the ride itself: it’s nice, but after being suspected to Spidey, Transformers, and Potter, it’s slightly underwhelming. During the “simulator” portions of the ride, there’s hardly any movement. I would like to hope they will fix that on this version, but I seriously doubt it.

Overall, it will be a nice ride for Epcot, but it will be far from being one of the best rides in Orlando.
It will be a nice ride to have as an option is the way I think of it. A nice C+/D- ride.

Depends on what a person's tastes are.

Neither of those rides will come close to jeopardizing Spaceship Earth as the best ride in Epcot... for me. Thrill lovers will no doubt rate Guardians highly (unless it's universally bad), and families might see Ratatouille contending with Soarin' and Frozen for their top spot.

In theory, Epcot will have something for everyone. In theory. And setting aside the actual stated theme of the theme park.