Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland) | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If the below is accurate then I think they really underestimated the demand for the cantina.

They should have gone the Olivanders route and had more than 1 cantina within the building so they could boost capacity and still keep it intimate/true to universe.
upload_2019-5-26_19-28-9.png

There was originally going to be a sit down restaurant attached, similar to the current Lamplight Lounge setup, but was cut.
starwarsrestaurant.0.jpg

If the below is accurate then I think they really underestimated the demand for the cantina.

They should have gone the Olivanders route and had more than 1 cantina within the building so they could boost capacity and still keep it intimate/true to universe.
View attachment 9665

Yup, I said that when the so called incorrect tweet came out about the place. I don't understand why this and the saber place don't have multiple areas.

Disney has not impressed me so far with the area, Sadly.

Again, I'm not exactly sure what people are expecting. Seems on level with Potter.

But when Potter first designed and opened in Orlando I don't think they were expecting quite the positive reception and huge crowds they ended up getting. Disney on the other hand knows full well from the get go the huge crowds that are coming.

Reactions: Jamesh22
The land undoubtedly looks incredible and I'm beyond excited to go check it out.

That said...
As @k_peek_2000 said, Disney knew this was going to be popular and they should have learn't from Potter.

It looks like they learn't the lessons re space as the land is huge, but they didn't learn the lessons about food and merch, which is surprising considering it's an opportunity to rake in a tonne of cash.

Not everything can be bigger and I'm sure Disney was aware of the popularity. The land wouldn't be as immersive if half of it was comprised of food service windows, tables, and queue switchbacks for the food. Then there's the rare slow days where most of that stuff wouldn't be in use.

I don't have any firsthand experience of the land, but I know two family members who have. My brother, who is part of the Play Disney app team, has been there daily for the past two weeks making sure all of the 20 or so interactive features work properly. He did mention that you can control droids through the app. He says it's just absolutely amazing and immersive. He had a plus one for CM previews and took his wife this past Friday and she was utterly amazed at the attention to details of the new land (note: she's not a Star Wars fan and has only seen a few of the films). Both said it was more immersive than Potter, so take that FWIW...

Crowds aside, I think we really can't judge how this land's quality and space will be until RotR opens and all of the originally planned entertainment is implemented.

Haven't posted in a long time but want to give some first hand experience. I was a +1 for the CM previews and got to enjoy the area from 5-9 PM, so I saw what the area looked like during the day and the night. I'm going to run through the pros and the cons also obviously ********** this is just my opinion*********

Pros:
-very large footprint that is very secluded from the rest of Disneyland. No outside scenery can be seen from ground level of SWL.
-The line of Smuggler's Run was very well done with DisneySea level authenticity.
-The bazaar was very immersive with Potter level theming.
-I loved the droid and simple animatronics scattered throughout the land and shops
-Seeing the millennium falcon in person was really amazing. That plaza with the ship was probably my favorite area
-It was cool feeling so far from the hub and detached from main Disneyland. Felt like I was at the edge of Disneyland. lol.

Cons:
-The land has no main water features. It felt very dry and not somewhere I'd like to spend a lot of time in... this issue was less noticeable at night.
-Surprisingly undetailed for the scale. I'm a Star Wars fan(seen all of the movies have a Star Wars Locations book), but felt pretty underwhelmed by the village area. Most of the area felt vacuous and sterile.
-Few things are immediately recognizable from the movies. Where Potter and Carsland look identical to their film counterparts, this land by design is more of a homage to the films. So it was hard to be nostalgic and emotional about an environment I have never directly seen in the Star Wars movies.
-Sound design was strange. Only heard sounds of spaceships and stuff with generic background music, but no John Williams score blasting. This could be corrected and make a big difference.
-Lack of color. Everything was mostly gray and brown. Concept art showed more vegetation and color.
-Actual ride for Smuggler's run had really poor graphics and no practical cabin effects. Everything besides the actual ride is A+ though
-Cantina line was really frustrating. I got in and the theming inside is nice, but really bad planning on Disney's part. Cramped inside and the line was spilling out everywhere even in previews.
-The land looks better from the air than the ground. I've seen arial photos and the Rockwork/scale looks mind-blowing. In the land at ground level, there really isn't that same wow factor.
-Carland IMO has way more impressive rockwork and sightlines. Not even a comparison between the two in terms of "Wow" factor

Overall impressions:
As of now(with no ROTR), this isn't one of my favorite lands in Disneyland. I think New Orleans Square, Frontierland, Adventureland and maybe even Critter Country have better atmosphere. That whole section of the park feels more detailed and impressive. In contrast, Star Wars land feels empty and sterile. In just the states, Diagon and Hogsmeade(in my opinion) are a really large step up from Star Wars land. I was in the world of Harry Potter in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, I never had that moment in Star Wars land(maybe because they didn't try to recreate Hoth or Endor or any specific, recognizable planet). I think Universal can feel pretty relieved that they still have the best lands in the states in terms of theming and rides. When ROTR opens that might change things a lot. But as of now, visiting Star Wars land made me realize how breathtaking Universal's execution of WWoHP was and continues to be. Not even comparing it to Potter, the land is kind of head-scratching that they took such an ehh IP(Cars) and made such a cool land in DCA. While Star Wars(one of the best IPs) has a lot less impressive land. Anyway, I feel terribly lucky to be able to see it early, and maybe things will change in the future with ROTR

Last edited:
-Surprisingly undetailed for the scale. I'm a Star Wars fan(seen all of the movies have a Star Wars Locations book), but felt pretty underwhelmed by the village area. Most of the area felt vacuous and sterile.
-Few things are immediately recognizable from the movies. Where Potter and Carsland look identical to their film counterparts, this land by design is more of a homage to the films. So it was hard to be nostalgic and emotional about an environment I have never directly seen in the Star Wars movies.

Interesting to hear. These things were something I've been predicting since the location was announced to be a "new" world that there would be a disconnect with some fans.

Reactions: Rideguy70
Interesting to hear. These things were something I've been predicting since the location was announced to be a "new" world that there would be a disconnect with some fans.

Completely failed on the choice of location, it makes zero sense. I don't care what the Disney apologists say, Carsland and HP are both amazing because they put you directly in a movie.

Galaxy's Edge, outside of the Falcon, could theoretically be in any park in the world.

Thing is, it will still be INSANELY successfully, so imagineering will learn nothing from their mistakes.

Completely failed on the choice of location, it makes zero sense. I don't care what the Disney apologists say, Carsland and HP are both amazing because they put you directly in a movie.

Galaxy's Edge, outside of the Falcon, could theoretically be in any park in the world.

Thing is, it will still be INSANELY successfully, so imagineering will learn nothing from their mistakes.

It looks straight out of Star Wars, as you say it will be popular... the location really does not matter. Its the essence, and theming that tells you its Star Wars. The only thing I see some getting mad about is lack of OT, which I could care less about but I'm not a stan...