Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

From George Lucas himself, "It's Star Tours on steroids at a level you can't possibly believe."

It seems so far that your very first time riding this should be on autopilot so you can take in the entire experience on the screen. Then on subsequent rides, you can start tinkering with the controls/button-pushing madness that separates it from Star Tours. This sounds like a descent ride to hold us down until RotR opens, which should make this land feel more complete.

It doesn't if your goal is to make an immersive theme park land. It does if you want to be immersed in the world of "Star Wars".

Visit the World of Harry Potter and build a wand at Gilda Twigsmith's Wand Boutique. Only $199.99.
Potter has distinct locations that were practically written to be turned into a physical environment though. When dealing with Star Wars, we're talking about things happening over the course of many different PLANETS. All of the cool things are spread throughout multiple different planets. It would've been near impossible and very awkward to create a Star Wars Land and make it truly work if they hadn't gone the route of creating their own planet, imo.

Say what you guys will, but the amount of canon they would've had to break would've been ridiculous.

Potter has distinct locations that were practically written to be turned into a physical environment though. When dealing with Star Wars, we're talking about things happening over the course of many different PLANETS. All of the cool things are spread throughout multiple different planets. It would've been near impossible and very awkward to create a Star Wars Land and make it truly work if they hadn't gone the route of creating their own planet, imo.

Say what you guys will, but the amount of canon they would've had to break would've been ridiculous.
They literally built the Mos Eisley Spaceport, Only not. What is in SW:GE that couldn't have been in Mos Eisley?

They literally built the Mos Eisley Spaceport, Only not. What is in SW:GE that couldn't have been in Mos Eisley?

If they literally built Mos Eisley, what's the point in getting upset about it? Because it doesn't have the same name you're used to? That's silly.

Star Wars isn't exactly known for its diverse worlds. There's a cloud planet, a lava planet, an ocean planet, a forest planet, a snow planet, a city planet. You notice a trend?

I think what they did was fine, as long as it's inhabited by enough familiar faces and sights, it'll be fine.

Last edited:
Star Wars isn't exactly known for its diverse worlds. There's a cloud planet, a lava planet, an ocean planet, a forest planet, a snow planet, a city planet. You notice a trend?.

and now we have over priced lightsaber planet ;)

I do get what others are saying about not feeling connected to the land but it does look amazing.

Please tell me all the people in those videos were actors because if I get people that fake and irritating there when I visit I might have to turn to the dark side.

If they literally built Mos Eisley, what's the point in getting upset about it? Because it doesn't have the same name you're used to? That's silly.

Star Wars isn't exactly known for its diverse worlds. There's a cloud planet, a lava planet, an ocean planet, a forest planet, a snow planet, a city planet. You notice a trend?

I think what they did was fine, as long as it's inhabited by enough familiar faces and sights, it'll be fine.

Exactly. It looks like Star Wars... and I think it took far more creativity to invent a new place, and make it feel lived in and real in that universe.

Tatooine, Naboo, Coruscant?

How big of a star wars fan are you? I've created a number scale for the sake of discussion:

1 - I only watch the movies
2 - I own the movies and own some merch.
3 - I own/watch the movies and have watched the shows, maybe played a few games, read some of the novels/comics before.
4 - I own/watch everything star wars, own/played several of the games, own/read some novels
5 - I watch everything star wars, own/read a majority of EU material, own/played several of the games, I've gone out my way to find and watch the Christmas special

Let's be honest here. If you have any level of engagement with Star Wars as a franchise beyond a 1 or a 2, chances are you can name a few planets or locations that you would die to go to... Some of which were even in the movies.

The fundamental difference between Batuu, Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, and even Carsland is Batuu is using an IP to suit the needs of a Theme park, rather than actualizing a fantasy environment.

It's sad. There's a broad age range who grew up with Star Wars and a dense fandom who grew up with a varying array of experiences related to the different timelines in the franchise... There are a lot of 3,4's and 5's who are making valid observations about certain choices Disney makes with the franchise... and it's like you can't criticize any move they make... but you can criticize "how" they do whatever they do.

Disney has treated Star Wars in such a way that just sheds light away from any and everything to do with the original trilogy and everything that came up until the point where they acquired it.

Instead of building an original star wars location, they built some new place that would cater more to the image they want to present in their theme parks, and their current vision for the franchise. Instead of the gritty vibe you got from Mos Eisley... You know the wretched hive of scum and villainy... you have... The very "disneyfied" Batuu.

What's the point of building an IP land if you aren't going to drop guest in the middle of the IP?

I mean... "Go Disney". The land looks cool. The rides look cool. The movies make a billion dollars. You can't say their treatment of the franchise hasn't been successful.

But man, I really do scratch my head on quite a few moves they've made with the franchise.

I mean, let me say it as simply as I can say it... In the grand scheme of things, Kylo Ren is not Darth Vader... Not in Star Wars, Not on Earth...

^^This is the same problem they have with pandora, they get an A for creativity but you gotta adhere to certain points that make huge franchises what they are, or you're gonna loose people. Call it copy and pasting but it works. Im sure the money will be great still.

Last edited:
^^This is the same problem they have with pandora, they get an A for creativity but you gotta adhere to certain points that make huge franchises what they are, or you're gonna loose people. Call it copy and pasting but it works.
Damn. Your short comment sure makes a lot of sense. :thumbsup:

The idea is that you are creating your own Star Wars story on a new planet. Not reliving an existing movie moment, but creating a new one. The rides all tie into this general theme.
Seeing familiar characters and vehicles should be nostalgic enough for most folks

I like the entire concept of the land. I understand the issue/arguments of it not being a place seen in the films, but it feels very familiar. I'm hoping that in Rise of the Skywalker they mention/show Batuu for a few seconds just to make everyone shut up. LOL

With that said, this land is very gorgeous and immersive, the best theme park land Disney has done... and it has surpass Hogsmeade from booth appearances and immersion... but not Diagon quite yet. I believe SWL will surpass Diagon once Rise opens. The land feels like it's missing something and I am sure that Rise will add even more.

The idea is that you are creating your own Star Wars story on a new planet. Not reliving an existing movie moment, but creating a new one. The rides all tie into this general theme.
Seeing familiar characters and vehicles should be nostalgic enough for most folks
Yeah and I’m not certain why people are just now criticizing Disney for going the Batuu route. We’ve known this for an extremely long time.

Yeah and I’m not certain why people are just now criticizing Disney for going the Batuu route. We’ve known this for an extremely long time.

I think seeing the final product has changed my opinion on the matter. I don't think it's a *huge* deal, and don't want to come off thinking it's a disaster they came up with a new planet...but I think it robs the land of a little bit of nostalgia that things like Potter and Cars Land have. I think that's also added to by having the Falcon ride based around a niche/unknown character to the masses, and watching the lightsaber "experience" where they painfully name a bunch of Jedis to add the familiarity factor in.

I don't think making a new planet is a deal breaker by any stretch, but after seeing the finished product, I think the land would have been better served being based on something we'e seen multiple times before like Endor, Tattooine, or Yavin or something.

I think seeing the final product has changed my opinion on the matter. I don't think it's a *huge* deal, and don't want to come off thinking it's a disaster they came up with a new planet...but I think it robs the land of a little bit of nostalgia that things like Potter and Cars Land have. I think that's also added to by having the Falcon ride based around a niche/unknown character to the masses, and watching the lightsaber "experience" where they painfully name a bunch of Jedis to add the familiarity factor in.

I don't think making a new planet is a deal breaker by any stretch, but after seeing the finished product, I think the land would have been better served being based on something we'e seen multiple times before like Endor, Tattooine, or Yavin or something.
I don't wanna go in on batuu too much because i wanna feel what it's like being in there first, but I will just say thank god they decided to have the falcon there in all its glory.

watching the lightsaber "experience" where they painfully name a bunch of Jedis to add the familiarity factor in.

I don't see how this is different than Potter selling wands in the names of other wizards?

I will say the land looks marvelous. It could use more music to accentuate, just hopefully with longer loops than Potter. DJ Rex looks like a riot, too bad Oga's is seemingly tiny as hell. Smuggler's Run looks like a fun, innovative attraction that most will be happy with. The graphics I've seen look fine? I'm not 100% sure what people are expecting. They do look a tad dark even in the video, however. The pilots really sound like the most challenging role, with the back ones being more passive which is a little disappointing but I'm sure they effect it.

Droid Depot also looks awesome. I'm certainly now hyped as hell to go, but I do agree that it should've opened with Resistance. There's just a huge chunk of this missing.