Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

I'm going on June 8th and will have a full report the next day. My impressions based on what I'm seeing online/my conversations with friends who have spent time...

• Smugglers Run is not gonna be for everyone. While there's currently only one mission (unclear what happened to the rumor of up to three), there are branching sequences within that mission dependent on performance. In other words, it's possible to see completely different things depending on how well or poorly you do.
  • Echoing everyone else, Cantina is way too small, but drinks are surprisingly strong (and thank god given the price).
  • Den of Antiquities appears to be the early highlight in terms of shopping.
  • There definitely is a weird feeling of "genericness" outside the Falcon. I think we wouldn't be seeing the same criticisms about the "generic" planet if we were opening with Rise... which includes franchise staples like a Star Destroyer, AT-AT, Stormtroopers galore, and various Empire/First Order aesthetic machinery. It also includes Kylo Ren and (AFAIK) cameos from the new trio, so there's more of a clear character connection that isn't just "Hondo," "brief Chewie cameo," and "Lightsaber Gatherer."

I CAN'T WAIT! I have been waiting to visit Batuu since 1977.

556138a49b939.jpg

I know. I remember looking at dad, and saying, "I want to visit Batuu, pleeeeeeeeeeaase!"

It doesn't if your goal is to make an immersive theme park land. It does if you want to be immersed in the world of "Star Wars".

Visit the World of Harry Potter and build a wand at Gilda Twigsmith's Wand Boutique. Only $199.99.

Dude, you're on a roll!

Potter has distinct locations that were practically written to be turned into a physical environment though. When dealing with Star Wars, we're talking about things happening over the course of many different PLANETS. All of the cool things are spread throughout multiple different planets. It would've been near impossible and very awkward to create a Star Wars Land and make it truly work if they hadn't gone the route of creating their own planet, imo.

Say what you guys will, but the amount of canon they would've had to break would've been ridiculous.

Tatooine is visited in Episodes I, II, III, IV, and VI. I think that sorta counts as a distinct location in the Star Wars Universe.

I think seeing the final product has changed my opinion on the matter. I don't think it's a *huge* deal, and don't want to come off thinking it's a disaster they came up with a new planet...but I think it robs the land of a little bit of nostalgia that things like Potter and Cars Land have. I think that's also added to by having the Falcon ride based around a niche/unknown character to the masses, and watching the lightsaber "experience" where they painfully name a bunch of Jedis to add the familiarity factor in.

I don't think making a new planet is a deal breaker by any stretch, but after seeing the finished product, I think the land would have been better served being based on something we'e seen multiple times before like Endor, Tattooine, or Yavin or something.

Endor and Yavin were only in one Episode.

Would folks still love Carsland if it was one stop further down Route 66 at Muffler Ravine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Disney takes back the crown. Just by looking at these latest videos, the land looks amazing. It almost seems like you can get lost in it. It’s not like the other lands that you can literally walk down a straight path and you’re at the end of it.

Here’s a walk through using a 360 camera.

Disney takes back the crown. Just by looking at these latest videos, the land looks amazing. It almost seems like you can get lost in it. It’s not like the other lands that you can literally walk down a straight path and you’re at the end of it.

That's been one of the consistent notes I've noticed from people, that you get lost walking around. And when you think you've seen it all you turn a corner and it's a new section. I love that they didn't design it like one big street.

Tatooine is visited in Episodes I, II, III, IV, and VI. I think that sorta counts as a distinct location in the Star Wars Universe.
I mean, sure. And The Falcon went there as well. But then what's the second ride? Also, it's extremely restricting to hold the land to a time period that is before so many crucial parts in the franchise (the Falcon only went to Tatooine in A New Hope, I believe). While many want to say that Batuu is based in the "Disney trilogy", it's more of a living trader planet in my eyes. I feel like this was the best route for a theme park land. With the land being original too, it allows them to pretty much do whatever they want.

Sure, I get that some want the nostalgic feel or to walk through Endor or Tatooine or whatever, but if they built Tatooine we would've had a bunch of people crying over why didn't they build Endor or whatever planet. Disney chose a path and I can't blame them for it.

Just for comparison sake. GESWL is apx. 14 1/2 acres..... Hogsmeade Potter (Village, FJ, Hippogriff, HE station and front entrance area that was previously LC games, Hagrid's Coaster) is apx. 14 1/2 acres.

Why does there have to be a “crown” in the first place? I know people like to endlessly compare Disney and UOR , but I don’t think there is any “clear winner” here. The only real winners are theme park fans.

I appreciate Quin's video and he does good stuff but the land looks dead in this "preview" state, I need to see it with crowds, shows, CMs, etc.

I mean, sure. And The Falcon went there as well. But then what's the second ride? Also, it's extremely restricting to hold the land to a time period that is before so many crucial parts in the franchise (the Falcon only went to Tatooine in A New Hope, I believe). While many want to say that Batuu is based in the "Disney trilogy", it's more of a living trader planet in my eyes. I feel like this was the best route for a theme park land. With the land being original too, it allows them to pretty much do whatever they want.

Sure, I get that some want the nostalgic feel or to walk through Endor or Tatooine or whatever, but if they built Tatooine we would've had a bunch of people crying over why didn't they build Endor or whatever planet. Disney chose a path and I can't blame them for it.

THey alread built Endor at DHS :grin:

Yeah and I’m not certain why people are just now criticizing Disney for going the Batuu route. We’ve known this for an extremely long time.

You mean telling people to "wait until it opens to judge it" results in people not liking it when it opens? Shocking.

And to follow the previous quote, I've said since day one that they should have used movie locations. Tatooine was an absolute no brainer. They could have easily done a Pod Racer ride next to the Falcon ride. They could have also done basically the RotR ride system except base it in Tatooine and have them jump on a space ship before returning to the planet. It's not hard to come up with rides. By doing Taooine they also have avenues to do other planets later. Now it' s "hey remember that planet you never heard of, now come visit another one you've never heard of.." It was a bad idea then, and it's a bad idea now.

And not to confuse things, I'm still planning a trip to go after everything is open at DHS regardless how the reviews are.

Just for comparison sake. GESWL is apx. 14 1/2 acres..... Hogsmeade Potter (Village, FJ, Hippogriff, HE station and front entrance area that was previously LC games, Hagrid's Coaster) is apx. 14 1/2 acres.
For another comparison, here's the size of guest accessible areas, excluding rides, overlaid with Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, and Pandora.
SWGE-Land-Comparison-Attractions-Magazine.gif

That's such a bad comparison for so many reasons. Oh boy can't wait to access the berm and trees!
It's not perfect, but you can exclude those areas from your mind if you like. It's not that hard.

Also the overlaid images include some not so exciting areas in the other lands as well.
Walkable-Area-768x682.jpg

For another comparison, here's the size of guest accessible areas, excluding rides, overlaid with Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, and Pandora.
SWGE-Land-Comparison-Attractions-Magazine.gif
Bottom line 14 1/2 acres vs. 14 1/2 acres....most of those visualizations are theme park propaganda playing games with what they refer to.:lol: Heh, I think the GESWL are going to be awesome. I just don't buy the storyline that tries to depict them as such huge lands, over and above everything else. . Sure, they're big. But there's lands at various Disney resorts that are larger, and have more in the way of attractions/shows/entertainment. Heck, take away the berm & trees from GESWL and the little land of Suess Landing, is pretty close to that.

Last edited:
Watched all the videos I could. I think the only “dud” to me is the light saber experience. For that price I’d expect a coupon for s free round of drinks at the cantina afterward. Wonder how busy it will be. I think the price will drive away many.

The creature shop and droid shop will be very popular I’m assuming. Overall I think they knocked the merchandise out of the park. Definitely some things I’d consider buying.

Last edited:
Watched all the videos I could. I think the only “dud” to me is the light saber experience. For that price I’d expect a coupon for s free round of drinks at the cantina for $200 a person. Wonder how busy it will be. I think the price will drive away many.

The creature shop and droid shop will be very popular I’m assuming. Overall I think they knocked the merchandise out of the park. Definitely some things I’d consider buying.
The droid shop looks like a winner.

Reactions: |Q|