Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

I’ve never seen an episode of GoT, so I’m very unaware of how well it would have translated to a house, but personally I’m just glad they didn’t lose Ghostbusters. That’s a much bigger deal from my perspective because I think it’s going to be fascinating how they will put this one together.

Apparently yes...

For people who don’t understand why GoT got pulled. It’s really simple, HBO said they could have the house IF it didn’t get leaked. GB got leaked and GoT was brought up. It was leaked so HBO did what they said.
GoT wasn't leaked. The Ghostbusters leak made HBO believe there was no way Universal could keep it under wraps.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question -

But why does HBO care so much about a GoT house being "leaked"? To my understanding, this forum accounts for a very small percentage of the people who go to HHN. Almost everything said here kind of stays within this small circle.

And even if the leak was to go "mainstream", what's so bad about it for HBO? It's not like it would reduce numbers or anything. Plus the show is over. I'm not really understanding... It seems like there would be more of an impact on Universal, if any at all??

But why does HBO care so much about GoT being "leaked"? To my understanding, this forum accounts for a very small percentage of the people who go to HHN. Almost everything said here kind of stays within this small circle.

And even if the leak was to go "mainstream", what's so bad about it for HBO? It's not like it would reduce numbers or anything. Plus the show is over. I'm not really understanding... It seems like there would be more of an impact on Universal, if any at all??

I mean, in a way; it's still an IP that has a lot of clout in media. And if one wrong thing comes in, it could've damaged the brand further than HBO or anyone else involved may of been willing to allow.

Game of Thrones does have a audience outside of the Television series.

I mean, in a way; it's still an IP that has a lot of clout in media. And if one wrong thing comes in, it could've damaged the brand further than HBO or anyone else involved may of been willing to allow.

Game of Thrones does have a audience outside of the Television series.

But why pull it?

Honestly with Game of Thrones being over, HHN could actually be an opportunity for HBO to continue profiting off the series. Selling merch, keeping the series "alive", and even exposure to people who have never seen the show who might go through the house and say "damn, now I need to watch the show" and buy the series or an HBO subscription. I think if the information we are receiving is legit, then HBO made a dumb decision from a nonsensical fear of a small group of people finding out a few weeks before millions of people would.

But I'm just an average HHN goer who doesn't understand business analytics so maybe there is a valid reason for dropping out.

But why does HBO care so much about a GoT house being "leaked"? To my understanding, this forum accounts for a very small percentage of the people who go to HHN. Almost everything said here kind of stays within this small circle.
It's not the forums themselves that matter.

It's that those leaks become blog articles. Those articles get posted to social media. If it's interesting enough, it goes viral. It goes viral enough, they completely lose control of the narrative.

But why pull it?

Honestly with Game of Thrones being over, HHN could actually be an opportunity for HBO to continue profiting off the series. Selling merch, keeping the series "alive", and even exposure to people who have never seen the show who might go through the house and say "damn, now I need to watch the show" and buy the series or an HBO subscription. I think if the information we are receiving is legit, then HBO made a dumb decision from a nonsensical fear of a small group of people finding out a few weeks before millions of people would.

But I'm just an average HHN goer who doesn't understand business analytics so maybe there is a valid reason for dropping out.

I mean, HBO's been working in-development on Spin-offs based on Game of Thrones as it stands.

Just because the "Main Story" (until books come out) is finished, it doesn't mean that HBO is willing to give up the franchise as of yet.

Man, What a freakin bummer. This year would've been bigger than anything I think any of us could've imagined.

That would've been a potential catalyst for many great, great things for the event.

Ideally, This would be the part where this story goes to the mainstream news media, the fans go APE... Then, they (HBO) realize this could still work and the demand would be huge, go back and negotiate a bit of a better deal, silently kill graveyard and build GOT in 3 months, Make it a surprise announcement...

Eh, one could dream. I'm not even a fan of the show, I like seeing good deals made and businesses I support do well, and even if I don't watch the show, I'd go out my way to watch it for HHN so I know a bit of what is going on, and I'm sure the maze would've been amazing.

Ideally, This would be the part where this story goes to the mainstream news media, the fans go APE... Then, they (HBO) realize this could still work and the demand would be huge, go back and negotiate a bit of a better deal, silently kill graveyard and build GOT in 3 months, Make it a surprise announcement...

It is now our duty to make this go viral and make HBO change their mind, because a GoT house would be SICK

Wowzer. I get a fever this afternoon/evening that completely saps my energy from being able to get online and then this gets revealed.

ST, Ghostbusters and GoT would have made last year look like a local haunt in terms of crowds.

It is now our duty to make this go viral and make HBO change their mind, because a GoT house would be SICK
i can post it on reddit, what should i put in it?
"at universal studios halloween horror nights this year, they were going to have a game of thrones haunt. however, due to multiple leaks, HBO pulled out, cancelling the haunt. however, if we can spread this around we can make this happen."

It's probably a dream at this point, and I'll say this, any campaigning on behalf of the fans associated with leaking the content (ie, anyone posting on here) would possibly do much more harm than good. It's great to dream, but it would basically be making their point.

"at universal studios halloween horror nights this year, they were going to have a game of thrones haunt. however, due to multiple leaks, HBO pulled out, cancelling the haunt. however, if we can spread this around we can make this happen."

Go for it. We saw what Paramount did with the Sonic movie. Brands listen, sometimes.

I get that people are dissappointed with this decision by HBO, but starting a social media campaign is just adding fuel to the fire.

Let the heat cool down, and maybe in the future they will come back to Universal. I am sure they already know how popular the IP would be at HHN, they don't need to be reminded. They didn't back out because of lack of interest.