Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland) | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Attendance park wide is not lower because people couldn't get a reservation. Attendance park wide is lower because people thought the whole place was going to be slammed and stayed away. I don't think the end of the reservation period will change that. There will be more people who didn't get reservations showing up trying to get into the land, but your general park goer who isn't necessarily interested in SW will probably still stay away because they think the whole place is going to be slammed. SW will be packed, but the park overall will probably still be down on attendance. You can just about guarantee though, they will still do the armbands to manage crowds in the land and to force people who are trying to get into the land to spend time in the rest of the park rather than in a queue.

From someone who's first trip unfortunately ended up coinciding with Galaxy Edge because they moved in the dates, I have been wholly surprised.

The parks do seem very quiet both DL and CA and this ended up being the perfect time to visit. We have had no issue getting on the rides we want and have actually been doing multiple run thrus on rides I would have expected impossible from an Orlando native.

Now the Galaxy Edge stuff

GE is very impressive, I would definitely put it on a level above Pandora, but I'm not a huge Star Wars fan. The amount of nods and special little things are great. Also the way they laid out everything does a pretty good job of spreading out the crowds.

The show's are cool with nice little nods, the roaming characters are fun and not terribly in your face, and overall feels very much what I think I would want it to be like. Some of this I don't know to account to DL vs DW or the area itself.

After looking at the lightsabers I do think The price tag is justified. They are Force FX (I've heard) which market for 100-150, and these come with an pin, a story, and have a lot of customization.

The food looked decent but I wouldn't put it on pandora level but dont know didn't eat it. The blue and green milk were both pretty good and I was very happy to see them be dairy free. Was more like a frozen smoothie than anything else and all 4 of us liked them.

Didn't get into the cantinas because of technical issues and crowding (day 2 before rezzies and we peaced out an hour in because my son fell asleep) but I think it sounds like most people are giving it a bum wrap. This isn't a typical theme park bar, it's more like trader Sam's with signs, menus, and mugs to prove it. The prices are high for a lot of stuff but this is DL and Cali so I dont think its absurd. Heck the prices at Knotts seemed higher for the most part. Those of you that know me and hung out with me know how much of a cheap ass I am and this all kinda seemed par for the course.

We got to do smugglers run twice, first time I was the pilot, second was a gunner with 15 min waits. There is something insanely special about first going into the falcon and then second sitting down in the pilot seat. The ride was super fun and the people we were with were all cheering, laughing, and having fun. it was a different experience than I've ever had at a theme park than I've ever had. This coming from someone that gets motion sick and generally can't stand screen rides and isn't a crazy star wars fan. The pilot did seem more fun but I also didn't totally understand what I was doing as gunner. I think engineer sounded pretty fun.

After all those words TLDR version, amazing vacation, planned on skipping GE, decided not to and am so happy we made that decision.

Just like wand and robe sales? The light sabers are not a new concept of expensive souvenirs

I don't understand what your reply is for? I don't think I implied they were a new concept... just that the cost of one group could probably pay the wages of the stunt performers for the day...

Reactions: HPFred
I don't understand what your reply is for? I don't think I implied they were a new concept... just that the cost of one group could probably pay the wages of the stunt performers for the day...
It seemed like you meant it as a rare exception of milking people rather than the rule. I apologize if I misread it.

You're actually the first person I've seen who said they found the land small. I've seen lots of other critiques, but this is a first. Why did you find it small?

The land itself is large, but there’s a lot of empty space. All the attractions are tucked into the furthest corner of the land.

Reactions: tielo and Alicia
You say I'm absolutely wrong, then admit attendance is abysmal because people couldn't get in regularly...

But for the most part, people could get in. Sounds like every AP who wanted a reservation got one, hotel rooms were still available for a moderate price, seems like every blogger made it in multiple times. And crowds still low.

It's just the facts. The performance areas of the park have permanently installed effects, including fire. It's obvious they're going to be used.

The Fantasyland Dragon says hi.

But for the most part, people could get in. Sounds like every AP who wanted a reservation got one, hotel rooms were still available for a moderate price, seems like every blogger made it in multiple times. And crowds still low.

RIP Fantasyland Dragon.

Reactions: WAJAS
The park is busy again based off the app wait times >:O.I think everyone read up on how slow it was the last few days.

Combination of Cast Member Maingates being restored and (these two are important) it's a grad night / Deluxe Passes are currently not blocked.

It'll cool down a bit on Saturday.

EDIT: I just checked the app. Hyperspace is overindexing at 100, but everything else is manageable. Unusually low times for dark rides, Star Tours, Mansion, Pirates...

How can you say everyone got one if they wanted? The reservations went VERY fast. Apparently to about 50% of folks who didn't go. I'd assume there were MANY APs and locals that wanted to go this weekend, but couldn't, as a reservation slot sat empty.

If Disney were smart, they'd allow people to grab those empty slots after like one hour. Of maybe it even says you have to check in by the actual start time.

If you don't, your slot goes to anyone in the park that can grab it on the app.

I'm pretty stunned at what has happened, and Disney not making a very quick adjustment. Unless their internal satisfaction numbers are scaring them.

Kind of like Pandora? Huge land but just filled with nothing?

Pandora is lush compared to Batuu. I love the forced prospective of the mountains in both lands. For me though, it’s about the overall experience and I was more impressed by the experiences offered in Pandora than in Batuu.

Reactions: tielo
That's the cheap part of the shows!
Are you of the view that Disney would've installed permanent gas tanks and gas lines with no shows to follow? It's a laughable position to take. These entire areas were designed with shows in mind, hence the extra wide spaces in front of them to accommodate the crowds that will gather. There is whole system of backstage access designed into the land's infrastructure. That cost millions of dollars.

Reactions: HPFred
The land itself is large, but there’s a lot of empty space. All the attractions are tucked into the furthest corner of the land.
You mean like every other IP land in existence? The rides are always on the opposite side of the entrance. This is like grocery stores putting the milk in the back. It's a design necessity-for crowd control and merchandise sales. A good chunk of the land is wasted right now because it isn't open yet. When Rise opens all of that "wasted space" will be bustling.
Rise-of-the-Resistance-concept-art-galaxys-edge.jpg

Last edited:
You mean like every other IP land in existence? The rides are always on the opposite side of the entrance. This is like grocery stores putting the milk in the back. It's a design necessity-for crowd control and merchandise sales. A good chunk of the land is wasted right now because it isn't open yet. When Rise opens all of that "wasted space" will be bustling.

No, Batuu is different than Hogsmeade, Diagon, and Pandora in that aspect. Entering from Critter Country, there’s really not a lot going on in the Resistance Supply area. Then, you have another stretch of empty space between there and the market. I know it’ll be different once RotR opens, but the difference will only be another attraction, not additional buildings or theming or stages in an otherwise empty area.

Compared to other IP lands, it lacks immersion upon entrance. You have to walk through dead space to get to the better details. Even Pandora has tons of plants from the moment you cross the bridge. GE looked just like Frontierland until I saw the ships and then the market.

Reactions: Alicia and Mad Dog