Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 665 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumors of the roughness have been greatly misinterpreted, namely in the recent Orlando Weekly article. I feel like he took what we were discussing here, and some of the things I've mentioned on social media and conflated them, and then jumped to the wrong conclusions. The ride isn't rough. It's actually quite smooth and I can't wait to experience it for myself.

TPU makes some good points on the subject today:
Is Universal Orlando's Hagrid's Magical Creature Adventure Already Needing A Redesign? - Theme Park University

Per someone I trust: “none of what’s in the Orlando Weekly article is true.” Typical Ken Storey BS.

Rumors of the roughness have been greatly misinterpreted, namely in the recent Orlando Weekly article. I feel like he took what we were discussing here, and some of the things I've mentioned on social media and conflated them, and then jumped to the wrong conclusions. The ride isn't rough. It's actually quite smooth and I can't wait to experience it for myself.

TPU makes some good points on the subject today:
Is Universal Orlando's Hagrid's Magical Creature Adventure Already Needing A Redesign? - Theme Park University

I don't know, he's way off on a couple of things. It most certainly wouldn't take 2 months to reprogram shorter trains. I'd assume removing one car would change block times by an almost imperceptible amount. Launches likely are self controlling, and in such short blocks, starting at almost the same speed, I see that being a day of tests.

Next is him saying it would be better to delay now than in a few months. That's just crazy. Many people set vacations around this ride, especially with it opening in the summer. Doing work in November would be infinitely better. Assuming the ride isn't going to produce a bad reputation because of the "issues".

It certainly will take time to fabricate new track sections, if that is needed. I'd assume they wouldn't be changing the pieces, just replacing allegedly damaged ones, once speeds and forces were lowered. Switching out a piece of track could perhaps even happen overnight, depending on crane needs.

I admit, I have no idea what has happened, if anything. If the wear on the track is simply paint being worn off, yeah, that's completely normal. If the steel has been warped or dented in any way, that is certainly not normal.

Intamin certainly has a track record of designing rides too intense, and needing major changes immediately (Intimidator 305, Volcano, Maverick)

But I do find it exceptionally unusual that the ride stopped being ran during this period.

I don't know, he's way off on a couple of things. It most certainly wouldn't take 2 months to reprogram shorter trains. I'd assume removing one car would change block times by an almost imperceptible amount. Launches likely are self controlling, and in such short blocks, starting at almost the same speed, I see that being a day of tests.

Next is him saying it would be better to delay now than in a few months. That's just crazy. Many people set vacations around this ride, especially with in opening in the summer. Doing work in November would be infinitely better.

It certainly will take time to fabricate new track sections, if that is needed. I'd assume they wouldn't be changing the pieces, just replacing damaged ones, once speeds and forces were lowered. Switching out a piece of track could perhaps even happen overnight, depending on crane needs.

I admit, I have no idea what has happened, if anything. If the wear on the track is simply paint being worn off, yeah, that's completely normal. If the steel has been warped or dented in any way, that is certainly not normal.

Intamin certainly has a track record of designing rides too intense, and needing major changes immediately (Intimidator 305, Volcano, Maverick)

But I do find it exceptionally unusual that the ride stopped being ran during this period.

If a piece of track rail got dented or warped, and didn't require a redesign, they'd just cut that piece of rail out and replace it. They can do that overnight off a man lift. They wouldn't replace an entire piece of track.

Reactions: allaboutthatchase
If a piece of track rail got dented or warped, and didn't require a redesign, they'd just cut that piece of rail out and replace it. They can do that overnight off a man lift. They wouldn't replace an entire piece of track.

Perhaps, but that would require an absolute perfect weld job. I think that would happen more if it was a viable option.

Perhaps, but that would require an absolute perfect weld job. I think that would happen more if it was a viable option.

It happens all the time. It's a common procedure on coasters all over to fix worn or cracked track. It doesn't require a perfect weld. Adequate weld and grinding with paint and you never knew it happened.

Reactions: allaboutthatchase
In the past, usually how long will TM previews be and then switched over to a soft opening ? A day ? Week?
Depends. Looking back at some recent Uni rides:

Furious: 3 days (TM Previews Wednesday April 11, Softs Saturday April 14)
Fallon: 2 days (TM Previews Tuesday February 28, Softs Thursday March 2)
Kong: 4 days (TM Previews Sunday June 5, Softs Thursday June 9)
Gringotts: Didn't have TM previews, and softs were for a hot second
Hogwarts Express: 6 days (TM Previews Wednesday June 25, Softs Tuesday July 1)

There really isn't a consistent trend. We'll know nothing until softs actually happen.

It happens all the time. It's a common procedure on coasters all over to fix worn or cracked track. It doesn't require a perfect weld. Adequate weld and grinding with paint and you never knew it happened.

I've followed roller coasters for longer than I want to admit, and know of very few instances of something like that. Not on modern, computer designed coasters. It most certainly has to be a perfect weld, putting the new piece of track in the exact location in 3-D space so that it doesn't make things worse.

Dragons was practically welded every night towards the end.

It may have been welded for some connection repairs, or hole repairs. I find it hard to believe it was a nightly occurance, as that would point to a pretty massive safety issue developing, and the frequent welding logs would be all the proof needed for an injury lawsuit. But I've never heard of any park replacing feet long pieces of track, by a couple welders at night. Because, you know, they didn't just bend a pipe in the shop and weld it in.

I've followed roller coasters for longer than I want to admit, and know of very few instances of something like that. Not on modern, computer designed coasters. It most certainly has to be a perfect weld, putting the new piece of track in the exact location in 3-D space so that it doesn't make things worse.

It may have been welded for some connection repairs, or hole repairs. I find it hard to believe it was a nightly occurance, as that would point to a pretty massive safety issue developing, and the frequent welding logs would be all the proof needed for an injury lawsuit. But I've never heard of any park replacing feet long pieces of track, by a couple welders at night. Because, you know, they didn't just bend a pipe in the shop and weld it in.
I watched them (I worked at HE). There were often small cracks that needed welding in the track or supports. Usually nothing major, just from stress and/or wear and tear. We're not talking chunks here. If you looked you could see areas with no paint and/or weld spots.

How is it that Kumba and Montu don't require welding like that? Just curious.
What makes you think they don't ?:) I know Kumba has had work done on the carousel turn at the end (and you can feel it). But its also a very old coaster -- it had a major rework not too long ago.

I watched them (I worked at HE). There were often small cracks that needed welding in the track or supports. Usually nothing major, just from stress and/or wear and tear. We're not talking chunks here. If you looked you could see areas with no paint and/or weld spots.

That certainly isn't replacing track pipe.

And I can't imagine that went on for very long before it was decommissioned. And the cracks had to have been in not critical locations. One crack on a critical load bearing support, and the ride is down immediately for an investigation.

Reactions: Andysol
Status
Not open for further replies.