Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

I don't think anyone wanted to believe "Star Wars Land" would be anything but awesome.

Considering the IP, they should've tried to make the best ride ever.

Also the lack of the "gun pit"... That's pretty unforgivable imo.

They still have another shot at the best ride ever with the IP.

The pit is not realistic for a theme park setting. Are they going to have granny or someone who needs a ecv to get around climbing up and down the ladder? They were not going to have the ladder no matter what, so a purist was never going to be happy. Considering everyone is going to want to ride the Falcon, they did as well as could be expected. They couldn't build six more buildings like they have, so there was no way to let everyone be pilot.

But see i dont hear people complaining about the mission though, (only the graphics) but that is not even a huge complaint I've seen, its the practicality of the design of the cockpit that give it yes "mixy" reviews. But the stigma is People feel left out after getting off of this this thing if they're not piloting and not only is it a bad representation of the real falcon, its not as great an experience for anyone besides the pilots and that's that. But if i could apply your logic in a different scenario, fop in pandora would make navi better? That's not true There and wont be here, a little less forgiving yes, huge effect no.

And yesss @youhow2 yess! Thankyou^^

See above. There is no way to let everyone be pilot. So either they do it like they did or kill capacity. But you are still talking about part of the ridership, on one of the rides in an overall land. You are essentially saying that you went to Pandora, FOP wasn't open, and are using the boat ride to judge the entire land.

Like I said, in two years, I'll be shocked if we are still talking about this.

They still have another shot at the best ride ever with the IP.

The pit is not realistic for a theme park setting. Are they going to have granny or someone who needs a ecv to get around climbing up and down the ladder? They were not going to have the ladder no matter what, so a purist was never going to be happy. Considering everyone is going to want to ride the Falcon, they did as well as could be expected. They couldn't build six more buildings like they have, so there was no way to let everyone be pilot.

See above. There is no way to let everyone be pilot. So either they do it like they did or kill capacity. But you are still talking about part of the ridership, on one of the rides in an overall land. You are essentially saying that you went to Pandora, FOP wasn't open, and are using the boat ride to judge the entire land.

Like I said, in two years, I'll be shocked if we are still talking about this.
No, what im saying is when ROTR opens it will not have a "huge effect" on the likes of the falcon ride.

And you know what, being that everyone couldn't pilot they should've never came up with that design choice, they had to have seen the conflict and decided to do it anyway. I see the ambition but it fell short, they could have made a much better ride at letting everyone experience "flight on the falcon". Should've taken those funds that were put forth to pilot the falcon put toward a "Extra" solid Fop level simulator attraction. No one had to fly the falcon imo. But i admire the effort.

Way back before we had any details about what the land would be, my Blue Sky/armchair Imagineering dark horse candidate for an attraction was a massive dark ride through Jabba’s palace and dungeons, complete with full-sized Jabba and Rancor animatronics (among others).
Take my money and build this now!!! :freak:

We really have been spoilt by the likes of Diagon. I'm not sure we would be quite as critical if this had opened before all the potter lands, but potter also has the direct link to places people have always wanted to visit.

I'm wandering, that with the somewhat unexpected mixed responses, they might decide to open RotR sooner rather than later. Seems the technical issues were more of an excuse to milk a double opening than anything else.

I was thinking this today. I don't think that this land is doomed and it's hard to judge the popularity until the need for a reservation has been lifted but I think that RotR is going to fix any issues with the land.

Things like the food, merchandise, and interaction with land will definitely be different in 2 years.

There's still plenty of room for expansion and to change things up. The milk seems to be the big issue and I don't doubt that it will be fixed sooner than later. Comparing it to Butterbeer where people order it on every trip while this seems to be a one sip and done.

My opinion isn't valid as I haven't visited yet but from all the photos and videos I've seen, the land feels like it belongs in Animal Kingdom in it's look and feel. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing since Animal Kingdom has some of the best lands in any park.

It seems the biggest issues are the Milk and the Cantina, which can be easily fixed. I can't speak to the interactivity and soul in the land because A. I haven't visited. B. I'm only judging through photos and reports.

The Falcon's mixed reaction may not force their hand, but they could add different missions once RotR opens and tweak some mechanics.

SWL is still a huge win for Disney, but it appears it wasn't the knockout I think they were hoping for.

It seems the biggest issues are the Milk and the Cantina, which can be fixed.

The Falcon's mixed reaction may not force their hand, but they could add different missions once RotR opens and tweak some mechanics.

SWL is still a huge win for Disney, but it appears it wasn't the knockout I think they were hoping for.

The way I see it, with the current system in place, GE is running like an advanced soft opening. Until the restrictions are lifted, the public has free reign to enter and RotR opens, I don't think any definite conclusions can be made about the success or not.

Worst case scenario, some projects get sped up and open sooner than later.

The way I see it, with the current system in place, GE is running like an advanced soft opening. Until the restrictions are lifted, the public has free reign to enter and RotR opens, I don't think any definite conclusions can be made about the success or not.

Worst case scenario, some projects get sped up and open sooner than later.

From a grand opening standpoint, you can. They wanted a TKO, and its a KO at best. Still a huge win, but not the win they wanted. Make no mistake, there's a lot more good than bad - and I really hope this propels Universal to up the ante on future projects.

Yes, there's still plenty that can change between now and the 24th (and eventually, when RotR opens) - but when they decided to GRAND OPEN the land without its star ride, they welcomed the criticism. As I said before, any criticism of this land is going to be amplified by the fact it's not 100% done - and here we are.

@fryoj

I never said anything about a ladder for the gun pit. Obviously we're not putting ladders on themepark attractions.

But, its an iconic element of the falcon in both the original trilogy and the new trilogy.

It seems silly to have left it out and replaced it with 3 buttons.

The seat having some swivel, moving with a motion base... Its all very doable. There are arcade games that have more movement and complex mechanics... So no, I dont believe they did the best they could.

I think we’re seeing such mixed reactions because normal guests haven’t been into the land yet. The reservations are being taken up primarily by superfans and bloggers, who are more likely to be either hypercritical or hyper-positive about everything than parents from Utah who are in town for their bi-annual vacation.

That’s not a knock (as I clearly fall into the superfan category when it comes to theme parks), but it is difficult to get a solid reading when you have a lot of extremes being thrown out there.

Also, we’re stuck in that weird “is everything but Rise finished, and if it is, how much will Rise factor into the land’s overall score” phase until we get further word from Disney. That’s a knock on them for not being able to get the main ride done after four years of construction.

As for Falcon, it was described to me as being similar to the Hogwarts Express, in that it’s more of an E-Ticket experience than an E-Ticket ride, but that it will be more than complementary when Rise opens, as the Express is to Gringotts/Forbidden Journey.