MIB: Alien Attack Revamp? | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

MIB: Alien Attack Revamp?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have a hard time believing Sony can’t come up with a decent men in black movie. I mean especially with the nostalgia craze going around the recipe for a hit isn’t really a secret...
Sony makes lifeless films that copy and paste disgarded ideas from Pixar, Dreamworks, and Illumination that are designed to look nice on the back of a tv screen in a mini van with screaming children that aren't paying attention to it

What could go wrong?

Sony makes lifeless films that copy and paste disgarded ideas from Pixar, Dreamworks, and Illumination that are designed to look nice on the back of a tv screen in a mini van with screaming children that aren't paying attention to it

What could go wrong?
Let blumhouse make an MIB movie :grin:

Reactions: Alicia and Cheezbat
Yet to see it, and hope it's fun, but they should have brought back Josh Brolin.

Either way MIB: AA needs to stay.

May not have a choice. 20 years is next year. That's usually the length of a basic licensing contract. Before any freak outs start.... let me clarify that I have no idea what the contract entails - it could include a renewal clause and it could be safe.

BUT - if there is an end date, and if this movie doesn't do well, I could see Universal moving on.

May not have a choice. 20 years is next year. That's usually the length of a basic licensing contract. Before any freak outs start.... let me clarify that I have no idea what the contract entails - it could include a renewal clause and it could be safe.

BUT - if there is an end date, and if this movie doesn't do well, I could see Universal moving on.
They should close kidzone first though even if that is the case.

They should close kidzone first though even if that is the case.
About roughly 33% of USF is land they are playing with and could be cut tomorrow if they wanted to so really it doesn’t matter what goes or when.

Everything in-between London to ET is probably gonna go. That’s a ton of space to create multiple amazing themed lands.

About roughly 33% of USF is land they are playing with and could be cut tomorrow if they wanted to so really it doesn’t matter what goes or when.

Everything in-between London to ET is probably gonna go. That’s a ton of space to create multiple amazing themed lands.

Sure, but there's no way any of that development can feasibly happen until they get Fantastic Worlds open. There's only so much bandwidth.

Not to mention I'm sure they'd love to keep Simpsons until 2028 if they can help it.

For me I think it's more that there are so many other things that need sorting, instead of removing/replacing MIB. But I know that's not how these things work and they will replace as and when they feel they need to.

I'd say it would be safer if it was a Universal IP.

I'm also wondering how long Men in Black & Cat in the Hat run with their current ride systems; it's been known that their hardware is no longer supported, and to be honest, it's unclear to me how they've been kept up to now in that reality. (Perhaps the two rides conceivably sharing parts makes custom manufacturing more financially feasible?)

Would love any insight from some with knowledge. Cat in the Hat feels a lot safer given its relative location, but...

The MIB movies are also Amblin productions, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Spielberg connection means the theme park licensing is not really an issue.

Why can’t we keep these older attractions with some updates during a refurbishment? The ride is so much fun, who cares if the IP’s relevant? We’re about to get more HP and a bunch of Nintendo to drive marketing. Love what Disney did with their Alice ride in California. Why can’t we get refurbishments like that?

And if they do replace it, I’d like to see more classic IPs in the gist of “Ride the Movies”. I loved someone’s idea to create a great movie ride version with a DeLorean moving through classic IP moments - BTTF, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Jaws, Psycho, MiB (if that’s what it replaced). Make it animatronic and physical set heavy and you got a winner.

Last edited:

I realize that's another Sony property, but with GB3 just around the corner, and if the house this year turns out to be a hit (which it almost certainly will), maybe Ghostbusters, if need be?

Why can’t we keep these older attractions with some updates during a refurbishment? The ride is so much fun, who cares if the IP’s relevant? We’re about to get more HP and a bunch of Nintendo to drive marketing. Love what Disney did with their Alice ride in California. Why can’t we get refurbishments like that?

And if they do replace it, I’d like to see more classic IPs in the gist of “Ride the Movies”. I loved someone’s idea to create a great movie ride version with a DeLorean moving through classic IP moments - BTTF, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Jaws, Psycho, MiB (if that’s what it replaced). Make it animatronic and physical set heavy and you got a winner.

It would be wonderful if Universal had this mentality, but - outside of the Monsters potentially appearing in Fantastic Worlds - Universal doesn't seem to care very much about its classic properties.

I have always maintained that keeping USF fresh and relevant does not need to come at the near-total expense of its history. But Universal management has apparently believed otherwise.

To me, Back to the Future is the most glaring example of Universal not doing enough to keep their classic properties as focal points in the parks. I’m not one of those people who thinks that the old stuff at USF was all better then what came later, but that’s one of those rare franchises with legitimate interest and enthusiasm across generations. I think they could’ve easily returned to that same well for another great ride after the original one was replaced. And considering how important the old ride was to the success of Universal theme parks, it’s always odd to me how little sentimental attachment they’ve shown to it.

To me, Back to the Future is the most glaring example of Universal not doing enough to keep their classic properties as focal points in the parks. I’m not one of those people who thinks that the old stuff at USF was all better then what came later, but that’s one of those rare franchises with legitimate interest and enthusiasm across generations. I think they could’ve easily returned to that same well for another great ride after the original one was replaced. And considering how important the old ride was to the success of Universal theme parks, it’s always odd to me how little sentimental attachment they’ve shown to it.

To me, BTTF was a case of what Theme Park Tourist refers to as "The Tomorrowland Problem." The whole element of 2015 would've required FAR too much suspension of disbelief. So maybe they could've gone somewhere (more like some-WHEN amirite) else?

Reactions: ChrisFL and Legacy