Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS) | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Without riding Hagrid's (while being super impressed and ridiculously excited for my December trip), I think there's also a set demographic that may still prefer RoTR. This is anecdotal, but my Dad can't do rollercoasters. Everest breaks his back, and he hasn't attempted The Mummy in some time. He enjoys FoP, but won't even try FJ after seeing me come off a bit wobbly. So (with the little I know about it) RoTR may hit a sweet spot for anyone who has coaster/motion issues but still wants to experience top-tier attractions. At least that's my hope.

With Hagrid's phenomenal response from the media & public, and the very mixed response for Smugglers Run & GESWL, I'd guess that Disney might back off the opening date games ( double opening bump) they've been playing with RotR, and open it as soon as feasible.
Without riding Hagrid's (while being super impressed and ridiculously excited for my December trip), I think there's also a set demographic that may still prefer RoTR. This is anecdotal, but my Dad can't do rollercoasters. Everest breaks his back, and he hasn't attempted The Mummy in some time. He enjoys FoP, but won't even try FJ after seeing me come off a bit wobbly. So (with the little I know about it) RoTR may hit a sweet spot for anyone who has coaster/motion issues but still wants to experience top-tier attractions. At least that's my hope.
Agreed and Very well put. Everybody can't handle thrills but That also does make them indifferent to them so you also have to consider the what if factor.

Reactions: Blaw923
With practically Universal praise for Hagrid, I honestly think even if this ride lives up to all the hype, there’s no way it tops Hagrid. I just don’t see it happening anymore.

I disagree completely. Hagrid is still a roller coaster with bits an pieces of story throughout. Despite how well it's done, it still doesn't have considerable "depth" to it's narrative.

Based on the leaked ride plot, I'd say this is a much more fully formed dark ride theme park attraction, on the same level as HM, or POTC.

Of course...it's still way to early to say such things. I just wouldn't "count it out" just yet...

I was going to say, having read the ride plot of RoR(won't say anything) I would say Hagrid and that can be universally praised and still be successes. I think though Hagrid will have a major impact at Universal, even if the media battle is won out by Star Wars. Universal's future now that Hagrid is opening, with Bourne, possible Sinbad replacement, JP coaster, Pokemon, SLOP, and obviously FW, they really could gain some momentum here if RoR doesn't perform well. Especially since this is really Disney's BIG opening, while Universal is kinda just gearing up right now.

What an amazing time to be a consumer of theme parks though.

I disagree completely. Hagrid is still a roller coaster with bits an pieces of story throughout. Despite how well it's done, it still doesn't have considerable "depth" to it's narrative.

Based on the leaked ride plot, I'd say this is a much more fully formed dark ride theme park attraction, on the same level as HM, or POTC.

Of course...it's still way to early to say such things. I just wouldn't "count it out" just yet...
Oh I’m not counting it out. I still expect big things from it. I’m just saying Hagrid has set an incredibly high bar.

I was going to say, having read the ride plot of RoR(won't say anything) I would say Hagrid and that can be universally praised and still be successes. I think though Hagrid will have a major impact at Universal, even if the media battle is won out by Star Wars. Universal's future now that Hagrid is opening, with Bourne, possible Sinbad replacement, JP coaster, Pokemon, SLOP, and obviously FW, they really could gain some momentum here if RoR doesn't perform well. Especially since this is really Disney's BIG opening, while Universal is kinda just gearing up right now.

What an amazing time to be a consumer of theme parks though.
Nobody was saying they can’t both be successful :lol:

My only point was it will be hard to match the overwhelmingly positive response that Hagrid has seen. Even a great ride would have a tough time.

Last edited:
What I mean is that, with it being a simulator and more slow moving, there are just going to be people that won’t like the ride due to that.

If we come off Rise of the Resistance and our first impressions/gut reactions are "that was a simulator," then that will be a catastrophic failure, and Hagrid will obviously be the superior ride.

If, however, it's truly Trowbridge attempting to create the new "Best Ride in the World" after he already did just that 20 years ago with Spidey, and he was given the resources to do that, I believe there's every chance it could vie for that title. But it needs to deliver.

Reactions: SpyderDan
With Hagrid's phenomenal response from the media & public, and the very mixed response for Smugglers Run & GESWL, I'd guess that Disney might back off the opening date games ( double opening bump) they've been playing with RotR, and open it as soon as feasible.

I really really hope so.

If modern Disney can create the incredible Shanghi POTC ride then they still have the creativity and ability to create world class E-Tickets.
I hope ROTR is another one - it needs to be.

I really really hope so.

If modern Disney can create the incredible Shanghi POTC ride then they still have the creativity and ability to create world class E-Tickets.
I hope ROTR is another one - it needs to be.

I don't. Let them work ALL the bugs out before opening the ride too early without proper testing, like uh...some other theme parks.

Reactions: SeventyOne
What I mean is that, with it being a simulator and more slow moving, there are just going to be people that won’t like the ride due to that. Hagrid is hard to dislike because of all the thematic elements it incorporates and since its a coaster, it provides thrills and brings smiles rather easily.

Intamin: Hold my beer.

But really, there are people that won't do coasters. My wife is a Harry Potter nut, but has bad motion sickness and a paranoid fear of them. She says she'd going to ride Hagride, but it won't be her favorite ride no matter what. She also prefers Gringott's to FJ because FJ makes her sick, Gringott's being a coaster notwithstanding. Does that mean that she'll like RotR more? No. But just because a lot of people are going nuts over Hagride doesn't mean that it automatically will be liked more than RotR.

Intamin: Hold my beer.

But really, there are people that won't do coasters. My wife is a Harry Potter nut, but has bad motion sickness and a paranoid fear of them. She says she'd going to ride Hagride, but it won't be her favorite ride no matter what. She also prefers Gringott's to FJ because FJ makes her sick, Gringott's being a coaster notwithstanding. Does that mean that she'll like RotR more? No. But just because a lot of people are going nuts over Hagride doesn't mean that it automatically will be liked more than RotR.
All i'm saying is that, operational issues aside, there hasn't been a negative thing that i've heard about the ride from anyone i've talked to that's been on it. Nothing short of "it was amazing" actually. So yeah, while some people just don't do coasters and will obviously like RotR more just for that alone, I think it will just be hard for RotR to match this kind of praise.

I want to reiterate I have extremely high expectations for RotR and I think it will be a great ride, but Hagrid is in extremely rare air for theme park rides as far as reviews go. Normally theme park fans have a pretty split opinion based on preference, which is why I bring this up.

All i'm saying is that, operational issues aside, there hasn't been a negative thing that i've heard about the ride from anyone i've talked to that's been on it. Nothing short of "it was amazing" actually. So yeah, while some people just don't do coasters and will obviously like RotR more just for that alone, I think it will just be hard for RotR to match this kind of praise.

I want to reiterate I have extremely high expectations for RotR and I think it will be a great ride, but Hagrid is in extremely rare air for theme park rides as far as reviews go. Normally theme park fans have a pretty split opinion based on preference, which is why I bring this up.

Agree with you completely. Based on the rumored story alone for ROTR, I feel like Disney has a homerun. Also, with some of the rumored effects, it seems like it will be super hard to mess up. I think ROTR has the chance to be special and Hagrid will also only continue to age well as the kinks are worked out. This could possibly be a year of at least 3 really amazing attractions on both coasts. (I love smugglers) With those rides, Nintendo around the corner, Jurassic World ready to get going and even Marvel on the way soon to DCA, it’s a great time to be a theme park fan!

Reactions: belloq87 and Nick
Agree with you completely. Based on the rumored story alone for ROTR, I feel like Disney has a homerun. Also, with some of the rumored effects, it seems like it will be super hard to mess up. I think ROTR has the chance to be special and Hagrid will also only continue to age well as the kinks are worked out. This could possibly be a year of at least 3 really amazing attractions on both coasts. (I love smugglers) With those rides, Nintendo around the corner, Jurassic World ready to get going and even Marvel on the way soon to DCA, it’s a great time to be a theme park fan!
This year is just the start, too. A bunch of big stuff from Disney in the coming years, Gwazi RMC, new Seaworld Coaster, JP Coaster and then the big finale Fantastic Worlds.

We're living in the golden age of theme parks, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Personally, I think Hagrid will be a great ride once I get to ride it, but I am seeing some "third best Potter ride" talk. You had a whole lot of people who waited a long time hoping it would be a great ride. Add in that with weather and technical questions, a lot thought they might not get to ride at all. That can make people gloss over worse parts and pump up the better parts. Theres nothing that says that RotR won't be garbage, so you might end up being right, but it's way too early to say "no way it tops Hagrid".

I just hope they over deliver with ROTR because smugglers run did not get even close to hagrid's reviews. In my opinion, as it stands now SWGE looks amazing but WWOHP Orlando in it's entirety as of june 13 is cleary the "FORCE" in themed lands and the fact that they got a major head start over everyone else makes it hard to catch up even more so now. Disney knew this and still decided to build a land with a great but not "mind blowing" attraction. To me, they dropped the ball already. High hopes though.

I just hope they over deliver with ROTR because smugglers run did not get even close to hagrid's reviews. In my opinion, as it stands now SWGE looks amazing but WWOHP Orlando in it's entirety as of june 13 is cleary the "FORCE" in themed lands and the fact that they got a major head start over everyone else makes it hard to catch up even more so now. Disney knew this and still decided to build a land with a great but not "mind blowing" attraction. To me, they dropped the ball already. High hopes though.

Why do the reviews matter to you so much? We should just all be happy we're getting quality lands all around the country vs tacked on spinner rides.

Why do the reviews matter to you so much? We should just all be happy we're getting quality lands all around the country vs tacked on spinner rides.
Yup. Some are going to be better than others, but honestly we’re spoiled right now with all the quality stuff we have coming to Orlando and Anaheim/Hollywood.
Oh im very happy and excited to see both but haven't yet so reviews are what i have to go on right now though i already know how that'll end. Comparing and contrasting is natural and me wanting everything to be as good or greater than the next is as well and that's what i pay good money for also. I can be underwhelmed if that's how i find myself to be and i don't have to be happy with what is produced just because its being produced. Call me spoiled i dont care lol

Oh im very happy and excited to see both but haven't yet so reviews are what i have to go on right now though i already know how that'll end. Comparing and contrasting is natural and me wanting everything to be as good or greater than the next is as well and that's what i pay good money for also. I can be underwhelmed if that's how i find myself to be and i don't have to be happy with what is produced just because its being produced. Call me spoiled i dont care lol
Oh, I understand where you’re coming from. And we’re ALL spoiled :lol:

Reactions: SeventyOne
Does anyone know when Rise of the Resistance is set to open at WDW?

Secondly, has anyone heard specifics on what might be causing the delays? (AA malfunctions, ride vehicle issues, etc.)