Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Discussion - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

So my experience from last night:

Ride was down when we got to the park. About 30 min later, it was back open. Wait was posted at 210, but we waited closer to 140. A lot of the wait was because they were allowing guests with the Ruby Pass back in, which held up the line in the Chamber Room. There was a bit delay near boarding time as they were removing a train off the track. Otherwise, a/c was working everywhere (including a temp solution in the egg room). Beverages and snack carts were available throughout the queue, and took debit/credit. The TMs were very patient and answered any guests questions. Basically, while UO continues to solve the downtime riddle, they are doing their damndest to make sure the guests are happy.

So my experience from last night:

Ride was down when we got to the park. About 30 min later, it was back open. Wait was posted at 210, but we waited closer to 140. A lot of the wait was because they were allowing guests with the Ruby Pass back in, which held up the line in the Chamber Room. There was a bit delay near boarding time as they were removing a train off the track. Otherwise, a/c was working everywhere (including a temp solution in the egg room). Beverages and snack carts were available throughout the queue, and took debit/credit. The TMs were very patient and answered any guests questions. Basically, while UO continues to solve the downtime riddle, they are doing their damndest to make sure the guests are happy.

Ruby Pass?

Just read some reviews from when Gringotts was opened and...you and I are reading a very different thread. Doesn't necessarily mean the glowing reviews for this won't sour with time, though.

Yeah I don't really remember there being very many bad reviews for Gringotts? The critiques were primarily that it maybe needed an extra scene and people would have preferred it not be so screen based. The reviews are definitely better for Hagrid's though compared to Gringotts

Yeah I don't really remember there being very many bad reviews for Gringotts? The critiques were primarily that it maybe needed an extra scene and people would have preferred it not be so screen based. The reviews are definitely better for Hagrid's though compared to Gringotts

I think Gringotts' issue is more about pacing rather that being screen based. Spider-Man and Transformers are both heavily screen based, but have either constant lateral movement and/or simulation to keep riders occupied. I'd wager nearly half of Gringotts is spent sitting in place watching a screen with no simulation whatsoever. For a ride system that uses a coaster track, the experience is incredibly stationary.

There was a HUGE push back from people thinking it'd be more coaster than dark ride. It was A Thing (tm).

I think Gringotts' issue is more about pacing rather that being screen based. Spider-Man and Transformers are both heavily screen based, but have either constant lateral movement and/or simulation to keep riders occupied. I'd wager nearly half of Gringotts is spent sitting in place watching a screen with no simulation whatsoever. For a ride system that uses a coaster track, the experience is incredibly stationary.

I definitely agree that pacing -- this "start and stop" sort of thing -- is a big factor in why Gringotts doesn't work for me. Spider-Man and Transformers (albeit to a lesser extent) are quite perfectly paced for what they're trying to be.

But at the same time, in implementation, I do find it just too similar to Spidey and Transformers (right down to using gags like the simulated free fall again) without much new in terms of ride experience brought to the table.

There was a HUGE push back from people thinking it'd be more coaster than dark ride. It was A Thing (tm).

For kicks, I'm browsing through the Gringotts thread to refamiliarize myself with the reactions. I'm currently at the (inexplicable) "It's the best ride at the parks!" phase. I'm sure I will get to to the backlash shortly!

Anyway, back to Hagrid!

I definitely agree that pacing -- this "start and stop" sort of thing -- is a big factor in why Gringotts doesn't work for me. Spider-Man and Transformers (albeit to a lesser extent) are quite perfectly paced for what they're trying to be.

But at the same time, in implementation, I do find it just too similar to Spidey and Transformers (right down to using gags like the simulated free fall again) without much new in terms of ride experience brought to the table.

For kicks, I'm browsing through the Gringotts thread to refamiliarize myself with the reactions. I'm currently at the (inexplicable) "It's the best ride at the parks!" phase. I'm sure I will get to to the backlash shortly!

Anyway, back to Hagrid!

If you find a negative part, let me know.

The absolute biggest shift in opinion came in the Antarctica thread. Around page 61, the tone went from "THIS IS GOING TO BE BEST RIDE IN ORLANDO!1" to "this is HORRIBLE!" just like that. :lol:

Wow, have they said if that's the permanent plan or is this only temporary for the opening crush?
There's Express Signs for the ride, so the queue was built for it.. but it won't probably open until they're ready and the capacity is to a normal rate. (Several months, at least, has always been my guess, maybe by the end of the year.)

Wow, have they said if that's the permanent plan or is this only temporary for the opening crush?

It's the norm for new rides, especially Potter. Express didn't even get accepted on Potter rides until two years ago. Universal hasn't said when it'll start for Hagrid, but I'd imagine after the Summer hype dies down.

Anyway, back to Hagrid!
Take a look at the Gringotts ride Review thread on Orlando Informer. 101 Reviews, mostly from the opening months. Overall score 3 out of 5. Lots of 4 and 5 star reviews but lots of 1, 2 and 3 star reviews. Reviews were all over the place, specially the early ones during the opening. If you scroll down to the reviews of the first few months it was opened in 2014 you'll be amazed how many 1 and 2 star reviews there were. And, as Joe said, many negative reviews were based on it not being the major thrill coaster some were expecting it to be...Myself, I've loved Gringotts from the first time I rode in in early Sept. 2014 after it opened. Rode it about a dozen times, mostly single rider since lines were still fairly long at that time. All those negative reviews irked me no end. .....

Last edited:
Gringotts is a fine ride, just not worth a 3+ hour mostly downtime wait it was during the opening. And now with express making standby line a crawl, you get plenty of time to admire the Contact paper “marble” and maybe tear a bit off at the seams as a souvenir.

The difference with Hagrid is the reviews are all positive, despite the effort required to ride it.

Where are ya'll looking? :lol:

Here are some initial reactions to the early Gringotts Reviews, from July 2nd:

I was expecting more Blown away impressions to be honest. Everything I've read was "it was good" or "it was great" ..was expecting more "HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AMAZING" type reviews. Oh well...

So far I've seen a mix of both. Some say it's amazing, others are comparing it to other screen-based attractions like Transformers and Spider-Man. I don't know. I don't honestly expect another screen-based ride to really blow guests away.

Personally, my first reaction was thinking it was fine. I recall texting HTF and saying I liked it, but wasn't in love with it. Either way, it doesn't matter. Let's move on, shall we?

It's the norm for new rides, especially Potter. Express didn't even get accepted on Potter rides until two years ago. Universal hasn't said when it'll start for Hagrid, but I'd imagine after the Summer hype dies down.

My guess was probably a year from now, maybe May. Basically, work through the hiccups and hype.