Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

D23 Expo 2019 - News & Speculation

Wakanda in World Showcase is still a thing I’m hearing.
God, you can't be serious.
It’s sounds dumb, but I can see their thought process: open a Brazil pavilion with no IP tie-in not rides at all and likely just restaurants and shows OR Build a pavilion that is 100% fiction, but based on a highly popular IP and also tied to a character you otherwise can’t use in Florida. I could see them doing a show/ride experience with Shuri along with dining.

Like I said, sounds dumb, but when you’re already in the midst of spending a lot on a pavilion, I can see how they would think this way. Doesn’t mean I like it, but things begin to add up.

Sane, logical people will call it out. The usuals with “fall in line”.
It’s a legitimately dumb idea and would crumble the idea of WS, which is more or less in great shape still, despite FEA.

Although building a Wakanda area in an area notorious for not having rides is a good way to get away with not having Black Panther around, I guess...

I’m not gonna lie that Wakanda could be beautiful, but it just doesn’t belong in Epcot, especially when Disney can’t use King T’challa anyway.

Thoughts on a Wakanda pavillion:

1) T'Challa off the table. Shuri may or may not be usable, but you're probably going to have to convince a 60-year-old arbitrator that Black Panther's sister who at one time was called Black Panther is not really in Black Panther's "family." Also remember Marvel got the Daily Bugle vending machine removed from the Dr. Strange meet & greet, implying Universal believes the contract encompasses something akin to trade dress for its characters. Are panther-shaped buildings in the middle of a jungle similar? Is the word "Wakanda"? (There is no right answer yet.)

2) Potentially tip-toeing around politics here, but I could see the only representation of sub-Saharan Africa being a fictional country raising concerns about devaluation of real history/culture.

3) Fanbois will holler like you're ripping out the PeopleMover. The least important issue to the Mouse but still probably a consideration.

So... Can't use the Marvel name, can't use Black Panther, and the Wakanda usage may be pushing the contract. We don't even know if they can mention vibranium, Wakanda's main export..... all while taking a fictional land and plopping it into a section that celebrates history and culture of actual countries....

Let's build it!

Thoughts on a Wakanda pavillion:

1) T'Challa off the table. Shuri may or may not be usable, but you're probably going to have to convince a 60-year-old arbitrator that Black Panther's sister who at one time was called Black Panther is not really in Black Panther's "family." Also remember Marvel got the Daily Bugle vending machine removed from the Dr. Strange meet & greet, implying Universal believes the contract encompasses something akin to trade dress for its characters. Are panther-shaped buildings in the middle of a jungle similar? Is the word "Wakanda"? (There is no right answer yet.)

2) Potentially tip-toeing around politics here, but I could see the only representation of sub-Saharan Africa being a fictional country raising concerns about devaluation of real history/culture.

3) Fanbois will holler like you're ripping out the PeopleMover. The least important issue to the Mouse but still probably a consideration.
Did they ever get the Daily Bugle removed though? I know we have a thread on it so I could go look, but I remember it being there towards the end of the 4-week limited run.

Its not even a real place..... completely diminishes WS Imo. Not that me not going to Epcot would have them take a hit in their business at all, Im happy not going to Epcot anymore if this is the route they plan to take. Really dumb, Imo. From so many standpoints that aren't even people like me wanting to keep Epcot what it does. Whats the point of a Black Panther area without Black Panther? And if we're going to create a pavilion to celebrate African American culture, CHOOSE A REAL LOCATION THEN. Sorry, done ranting.

If Wakanda happens, I do have to wonder if both Wakanda AND Brazil would both be happening.

Unless things have fallen apart since, @Marni1971 flatbout said just a few weeks ago that Brazil was over half sponsored at that time.

Putting Wakanda in World Showcase would be insulting on several levels.

If Wakanda must come to WDW (and I'm unconvinced that such a thing would even be worth it, given what would likely be serious constraints from the Marvel-Universal contract), it should go into Hollywood Studios.

“Convention floor appearances”

Are they allowed to have walk-around characters with USH having the rights or does this not count because it’s a convention? Either way, it confirms my suspicions that Disney may want to utilize the IP for M&Gs and food and beverage when the rights come to them. I most definitely see them going into DCA.

“Convention floor appearances”

Are they allowed to have walk-around characters with USH having the rights or does this not count because it’s a convention? Either way, it confirms my suspicions that Disney may want to utilize the IP for M&Gs and food and beverage when the rights come to them. I most definitely see them going into DCA.

Curious about The Simpsons more in Asia, to be honest; considering that prior towards the acquisition, Fox began bringing the Simpsons properly into Chinese markets.

It'd be an interesting question to see if Disney might try to test the waters there, with either Hong Kong or Shanghai being the guinea pigs.

I'm also slightly interested if they might try to do a loophole with stores, similar to Marvel and Disney Springs.

If they bring Wakanda anywhere I'd prefer Animal Kingdom, but if they can't call it Wakanda or include Black Panther there is literally no point in doing it.

Simpsons is a weird one as it feels like a brand which is near end of life. They have plenty of other IP's they could use.

Per WDWNT, panel and autograph sessions by writers and voice talent:
“Welcome, synergy! Springfield will be taking over Anaheim as “The Simpsons” make their D23 Expo debut this year! Disney has just announced that Matt Groening, Al Jean, Matt Selman, Mike B. Anderson, and stars Nancy Cartwright & Yeardley Smith will be at the D23 Expo with an entertaining panel, autograph signing, and more! ”

As you can see by my avatar... devoted fan here!!!!