Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MIB: Alien Attack Revamp?

You guys are only looking at it from one angle... Again, there's contract, reliability, relevancy, RoI, etc...

I love MiB, but it needs a major refurb. When the time comes, Universal will look at the numbers and determine if the IP needs replacing. They could very well keep it as MiB and refurb it, giving it the Spider-Man treatment. They also can do an IP overlay and keep the core of the ride together a la Disaster.

Of course, they can just nuke the whole area, too.

You guys are only looking at it from one angle... Again, there's contract, reliability, relevancy, RoI, etc...

I love MiB, but it needs a major refurb. When the time comes, Universal will look at the numbers and determine if the IP needs replacing. They could very well keep it as MiB and refurb it, giving it the Spider-Man treatment. They also can do an IP overlay and keep the core of the ride together a la Disaster.

Sometimes it is cheaper and more lucritive to replace an attraction than refurb it.

Also, I don't understand why people don't want the parks to change, it's normally AP people that come all the time. Like don't you want it to be fresh? I don't get the mentality

Sometimes it is cheaper and more lucritive to replace an attraction than refurb it.

Also, I don't understand why people don't want the parks to change, it's normally AP people that come all the time. Like don't you want it to be fresh? I don't get the mentality

If it ain't broke...

MIB is also one of the most repeatable experiences in the resort by design. Maintenance issues aside, it's an evergreen concept with stellar execution.

I think the fear of replacing a good thing also stems from the expectation that whatever replaces it might be a stinker. See: Disaster > Fast & Furious.

How much more change do you want? Aside from E.T. and Horror Makeup, the entire park lineup has changed since it opened.

I think the fear of replacing a good thing also stems from the expectation that whatever replaces it might be a stinker. See: Disaster > Fast & Furious.

This.

With only very few exceptions, the second and third generation attractions in USF are not as good (for me!) as the attractions that were originally there.

MIB is also one of the most repeatable experiences in the resort by design. Maintenance issues aside, it's an evergreen concept with stellar execution.
This is very true (and one of the reasons I love MIB), at the very least, an update needs to happen. I don't think Universal is going to see it that way though, and I would be interested to see what they are thinking for that spot.

How much more change do you want?
That's not a good question to ask when it comes to Universal. I consider all attractions "on the chopping block" at all times, unless they have a wizard or Marvel character attached.

Last edited:

This seems similar to when we lost Dragons. A beloved ride by many, but it’s replacement is amazing. Sometimes we have to move on.

This seems similar to when we lost Dragons. A beloved ride by many, but it’s replacement is amazing. Sometimes we have to move on.
True, I also loved Jaws but Diagon in much better imho and Fallon improved on Twister (although Ghost Busters was best). Transformer tops Murder She Wrote, the current lagoon show is the best they ever hand and best of all, Barney is scarier than the Psycho home.

This is very true (and one of the reasons I love MIB), at the very least, an update needs to happen. I don't think Universal is going to see it that way though, and I would be interested to see what they are thinking for that spot.

That's not a good question to ask when it comes to Universal. I consider all attractions "on the chopping block" at all times, unless they have a wizard or Marvel character attached.
So the park is not diverse enough. The best parks are the most well-rounded. Marvel and Potter isn’t enough. Also, it discriminates potential guests who don’t care for either of those franchises. Don’t forget Marvel is owned by Universal’s next-door-neighbor, which means more money to pay. And let’s be real, Sony isn’t going to open a park on the scale of Universal or Disney. And, MIB is another attraction that Spielberg was involved with. I feel like Universal keeps distancing themselves from his art. What a shame.

Theme Parks are meant to last forever.....

No they aren't

They are meant to be an ever changing rotation of amusements, that rotation is up to the theme park, but everything has a shelf life

Especially things at high tech parks like Universal and IOA
So a park with the latest and greatest themes as amusements is better than a theme park? I was thinking the latter is better. Think about the Tomorrowland problem. Imagine having to update/change out attractions to the point where costs exceed the satisfaction/quality over a period of time. Now think of something like The Tree of Life, or Indiana Jones Adventure, you wouldn’t get rid of that, would you? I think this is partly the reason why people love Tokyo DisneySEA so much. Because they don’t take out the timeless themes.

This is why I dislike the idea of reverting WDW’s TOMORROWLAND back to the ‘70s, because the same mistake from history will be made again.

So a park with the latest and greatest themes as amusements is better than a theme park?
Why can't the two happen at once?

I was thinking the latter is better. Think about the Tomorrowland problem. Imagine having to update/change out attractions to the point where costs exceed the satisfaction/quality over a period of time. Now think of something like The Tree of Life, or Indiana Jones Adventure, you wouldn’t get rid of that, would you? I think this is partly the reason why people love Tokyo DisneySEA so much. Because they don’t take out the timeless themes.
The Tree of Life is a showbuilding when it comes down to it. I do expect It's Tough to Be a Bug, the attraction within the showbuilding, to be switched out eventually (probably sooner than later).

Yes, there will be a time when Indiana Jones needs to be replaced, that has a longer shelf life than most attractions at the park though.

DisneySEA is the total package, but things have already been swapped out and changed (StormRider -> Nemo).

It's not the same thing at all. By the time it was demolished, Dueling Dragons had lost it's main gimmick and had much of it's theming ripped out to awkwardly retrofit it to a Harry Potter Theme. Additionally, the ride itself, while very thrilling and fun, wasn't perfectly unique and irreplaceable. Travel an hour to Tampa and you can ride Kumba, which, sans dueling, is essentially the same experience (heck, Kumba's track layout is probably a bit better). It was replaced by a one-of-a-kind unique attraction in which Universal gave it its all.

MIB:AA, on the other hand, is, in my opinion, the best shooter ride in Florida. Compare its quick-spinning vehicles, huge, elaborate sets and copious amounts of well-designed animatronics to its competition. Toy Story Mania is all screens, and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin mostly relies on a cheap black-lit "cardboard cut-out" look.

Additionally, as the only shooter ride in all of USO and one of the few attractions at USF that doesn't rely on screens, it serves a very unique niche and plays a crucial role in diversifying the attraction line-up, as well as offering very high reridablity.