Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 612 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was originally planned for 2020, but then there was that long gap where everyone said, "looks like it's been pushed it back a year." Now permits run through 2021, so as far as I can tell, it's looking like 2021.

Who knows, maybe the track is showing up early because that's when it was originally planned to show up? I don't claim to know why Universal does what Universal does, just relaying what I hear and see.

Ok so I305 and Skyrush both use the same track style (with the box shaped supports) . Neither feature any inversions or launches. I305 has 2 seats across and Skyrush has 4 with the edge seats being wing seats off the track. What do we think will be the case for this ride?

I'll put a lot of money on a 2 seat design, especially if there's as much theming on the first half as @Alicia says there will be

When did Hagrides:
A) Get it's first post
B) Get it's track on site
C) Get it's first support
D) Get it's first track laid

Not that all projects work on similar timelines, but that will give you a good baseline.
Simply because this thing won't have nearly as much rockwork, detail or technical work as Hagrid's did.

@RollermanDan - you have that info at the ready by chance?

Hulk took about 8 months from redoing the footers to the coaster opening but this is a difficult one to compare. Hulk had multiple parts over public areas, this not so much but it's probably going to have more theming.

Just to throw some thoughts out there.

Is it possible that this could be over 200ft given the track type? If there is restrictions in place, could this be caused by the school and if the school moves, could this allow for that?

If it's going to open in 2021, it's because Universal want it to. It's as simple as that. Some rumours about the VB expansion opening next year and who knows about Bourne given Universal a relatively decent 2020. It also gives a strong reason to visit UOR in 2021 for what should be a strong year for the mouse down the road,

I know this is a ridiculous thing to bring up given the situation with Hagrid's but when would an announcement be made? If I was a betting man, I'd say early September. Galaxy's Edge will be open and it brings the light back to Universal and this is already an obvious thing that's happening and once the track starts going up, its going to be even more difficult to hide. It doesn't need to be anything more than a 'BTW, we're building a Jurassic Park coaster and it's going to be f**king nuts!'

Yeah, it seems like their past history is to milk a new Potter addition for 18-24 months until bringing something substantial in. They could easily milk Hagrid & new Hogwart's show that long. Bourne is so inconsequential since it's only filler anyway.
I really hope Bourne is the best show they've ever done, just to see the meltdown on Distwitter

Also, @Scott W. , VB expansion wouldn't take very long tbh...that's a good point

No way here though, Alicia. And we have the same conversation, because 2021 simply doesn't make any sense outside of you and @Joe saying so.

Hagrid's tracks came on May 20, 2018. So this is 1 month different than Hagrid's.
We know it doesn't need a whole extra year of rockwork . So your rebuttal would be "they'll just stretch it out". And I say "no way". Because if they wanted to stretch it out, they wouldn't have the track on site right now and we'd be seeing it late this year or early next.

This thing is running in 2020.

As I’ve said building a ride without direct access to backstage areas is tricky. I don’t think they’re going to be transporting debris and track during park hours between the contraction zone and backstage areas like they did with Transformers. This is a huge project, early 2021.

Ok so I305 and Skyrush both use the same track style (with the box shaped supports) . Neither feature any inversions or launches. I305 has 2 seats across and Skyrush has 4 with the edge seats being wing seats off the track. What do we think will be the case for this ride?

Inversions, 2, no Thighcrush

As I’ve said building a ride without direct access to backstage areas is tricky. I don’t think they’re going to be transporting debris and track during park hours between the contraction zone and backstage areas like they did with Transformers. This is a huge project, early 2021.

Inversions, 2, no Thighcrush
Isn't there a new Raptor Encounter and upgraded aesthetic package coming with this? That could cause a bit of hold up as well

So this is 1 month different than Hagrid's. So it needs a whole extra year of rockwork? Sorry 2021 folks, unless Universal just sits on their hands and lets weeds grow over the track, this isn't taking 2 years.

Diagon as a whole pretty much took two years give or take. The only way this takes two years at this point is if Universal WANTS it to take two years. Fall 2020 is plausible if they want it.

Hmm, I wonder if 2020 is a rest year, doesn't seem like they have anything else under construction at this point

Bourne tbh is probably all
It's pretty simple. The project will take as long as they want it to. Sure, it could be done faster. Sure, they could open it next year. But, do they want to?

I feel like we go through this same conversation monthly.

Nail on the head Alicia

Movie releases mean nothing. Fate and the Furious came out in 2017 and they pushed the opening of Fast and the Furious from an announced fall 2017 to spring 2018 because they had nothing in the pipeline for 2018 and had already opened Fallon, Hulk and VB.

Do you think that was intentional? They had every intention to open it in conjunction with the film... until they demoed the old buildings and realized they needed to re-do a lot more foundation work and other random crap.

Do you think that was intentional? They had every intention to open it in conjunction with the film... until they demoed the old buildings and realized they needed to re-do a lot more foundation work and other random crap.

Uhh... Fate and the Furious came out in April.

Additionally, they finished demoing Disaster in April 2016. So unless they were planning to fully build the ride in less than 12 months (they weren't) to open simultaneously with Fallon, Hulk, Sapphire Falls, Cabana Bay Towers 2 and Volcano Bay then no, it was never going to open with the film.

They delayed the "fall 2017" opening to "spring 2018" months after the film had already been released.

Look, it isn't complicated- I can give you a dozens examples of rides that didn't coincide with their movie releases. I'll bet you'd have an incredibly difficult time finding 5 that did... across all parks throughout the entire county. And honestly, I'd be shocked if you found 5.
Moral of the story is, no, I don't look at release dates of movies to determine when a ride will be built as history has shown it's utterly meaningless.

Last edited:
Reactions: allaboutthatchase
The other thing to look at is if the Jurassic Park ride redo at Hollywood is successful, Universal may well do JPRA in it's image. So, 2021, new coaster, new JPRA, minor retheme of Camp Jurassic. Universal markets redo of the land to JW and synchronize it with the movie and home entertainment release. Voila....Marketing gold...attendance increase

Excited to see that @Alicia 's guess of black track and white support were right. So glad its not going to be blue track. The white supports will help blend well with the discovery center and the black will not stand out too much.

With the raptor encounter, the maintenance/queue building, the rock work, the water effect, possible changes to the discovery center, repositioning the games and lockers, the landscape growing in, and the finishing of the permanent bridge, I could see this taking til April 2021 for opening. There is no need to rush it!

Uhh... Fate and the Furious came out in April.
So no, it was never going to open with the film. They delayed the "fall 2017" opening to "spring 2018" months after the film had already been released.

Let's try this again...

They had every intention to open it in conjunction with the film... until they demoed the old buildings and realized they needed to re-do a lot more foundation work and other random crap.

It was intended to open Spring 2017 - however, they never gave a firm date until they formally announced Spring 2018.

Look, it isn't complicated- I can give you a dozens examples of rides that didn't coincide with their movie releases. I'll bet you'd have an incredibly difficult time finding 5 that did... across all parks throughout the entire county. And honestly, I'd be shocked if you found 5.
Moral of the story is, no, I don't look at release dates of movies to determine when a ride will be built as history has shown it's utterly meaningless.

I'm not basing it off a movie release. I'm basing it off what they're intending, which also happens to coincide with a movie release.

Reactions: Darko and Quint
Let's try this again...

They had every intention to open it in conjunction with the film... until they demoed the old buildings and realized they needed to re-do a lot more foundation work and other random crap.

It was intended to open Spring 2017 - however, they never gave a firm date until they formally announced Spring 2018.

Ooh, bold and italicized. Let me try it also:

They demoed the old buildings in April 2016 and it would have been an 11 month turnaround to get the ride up and running which they never were going to do.

11 months to build that ride simply wasn't going to happen at the same time they had Fallon, Hulk, VB, Sapphire, and Cabana Bay going on.

Ooh, bold and italicized. Let me try it also:

They did not have any intention to open the ride in conjunction with the film. They demoed the old buildings in April 2016 and it would have been an 11 month turnaround to get the ride up and running which they never were going to do.

11 months to build that ride simply wasn't going to happen at the same time they had Fallon, Hulk, VB, Sapphire, and Cabana Bay going on.

You’re right. What do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.