Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

It could be a multitude of things. Terrific Ops, crowds being scared of the "insanity", people waiting until the land is fully open, blocked out passes... No one can point to any one thing being the cause for the lower turnout right now, but guests are happy and spending so that's a success in my book.

But if Disney decided to unblock more access, I think that's an obvious sign they aren't happy with the lower crowds.

The idea is that if they unblock some annual pass holders they are devaluing the annual passes that are unblocked currently. This would cause their value to decrease. By unblocking CMs they get around this issue

That actually makes sense. I didn't understand the logic at first.

That actually makes sense. I didn't understand the logic at first.

It's still a huge slap in the face to let CMs in for free, and not people who actually pay for passes. CMs should be the LAST group to have blackouts lifted. CM park spending has to be a fraction of APs.

Falcon has a higher capacity (slightly) than FJ too. Let's not even forget the soft initial opening of Potter at USH either. Three years ago everybody was panicking, then it picked up. Very similar situation: Californians do not want to deal with crowds, and USH also blocked tons of people out.

It's still a huge slap in the face to let CMs in for free, and not people who actually pay for passes. CMs should be the LAST group to have blackouts lifted. CM park spending has to be a fraction of APs.
1.) Don't undersell how much money people are willing to spend (whether they responsibly can afford it or not) on stuff they think is cool because they're a fan. Happens all the time with Potter and TMs here in Orlando.

2.) The main goal is to have CMs bring family and or friends with comp passes on days off and then they are getting money spent over multiple bodies and people are more willing to spend money in the park because the CM who got them in got them in for free.

3.) APs don't spend as much as you seem to want to think.

Falcon has a higher capacity (slightly) than FJ too. Let's not even forget the soft initial opening of Potter at USH either. Three years ago everybody was panicking, then it picked up. Very similar situation: Californians do not want to deal with crowds, and USH also blocked tons of people out.

Falcon is moving more than 2500 people per hour? Why did I think this was a much lower capacity ride than that?

Went yesterday afternoon/night enjoyed the land a lot better the second time. Lower expectations I think helped. It really is very detailed and looks like they spent a ton of money on it. They were doing guest surveys, and I overheard someone already giving them advice on the music. I did not at any point hear John Williams themes at entrance or in the land.
Smugglers run:
Also smugglers run was better the 3rd time. I was an engineer and it was great to just look around the cabin and enjoy the scenery. I was pilot first 2 Times and didn’t really love it. The screens look worse the closer you are so farther back the graphics aren’t as noticeably poor. Probably helped too I only waited 5 minutes in single rider. Also these crowds ar great for guest satisfaction, Indy, haunted, pirates, splash, thunder all walk ons!!! The park was a literal ghost town town yesterday nightish.

Couple observations my dad made:
-Not many people looked to be buying stuff. Cash registers had no lines but again this is just first hand observations of a small sample size
-music was a noticeable issue (easy fix)
- Dad wondered where Luke and yoga and c3PO are ( easy fix)
-didn’t know exactly where we were supposed to be “this sure looks great but maybe I’m not really a Star Wars Fan because I have no idea what this is” when we were strolling around the marketplace
-Harry Potter world he felt a lot more familiar and well done compared to this, but my dad liked the Star Wars land better at night. Daytime he was underwhelmed

My thoughts:
-the bones are pretty great for the land and Having music and adding original triology characters are easy fixes
-this will be a successful I’m sure I think it’s just weird crowd dynamics now
-imagineers did a great job and Star Wars is way harder to convert to a theme park, so it noticeably doesn’t feel that familiar
-had a blast yesterday on all the rides and the rest of Disneyland is in amazing shape. All effects working on Indy.

Last edited:
So, uh...Microtransactions are coming to Galaxy's Edge, in the form of the Disney Parks App.

This is just sad to see. Although I guess Potter charges for their interactive experience, but at least in that case you're getting a wand for it and not just throwing away money on your phone. The Play Disney Parks app legitimately sucks from an interactivity standpoint and is another app that eats your battery. Glad this isn't something I intended on doing anyway.