Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tower of Terror

The Imagineers magically turn a $1 bill into a $5 bill. Thus an attraction that would cost Universal $100 million will cost Disney $500 million. It's the "real" Fantasy Land.;):)........... Universal Creative builds lands for the cost of Disney attractions.

Tower of Terror => Pixar Tower! :-D
I know it's an awful idea so Disney probably will do it.
don't give me PTSD from when I was at DHS last and they kept projecting the stupid muppet animations on ToT, you're bringing back dark memories of me trying to show my friend who had never seen it how amazing it looks at night

64 Year Old Disney Exec: Don’t want to pay the rights for Twilight Zone. Hmm we need to connect with them teens. What do teens like? Social media and Netflix.

Presenting......Blackmirror: Tech Tower of Terror;)
It's more "we want to connect with them families"

Which is why Twilight Zone seems to be viewed as outdated

Personally I think, much like HM and Pirates, that ToT has its own iconic IP status

I’m not sure what’s going on with TOT because I haven’t followed, but if it is a matter of the future of the IP, then I can say I am ok with dropping the TTZ brand because at this point that tower is so iconic that it can easily stand by itself. Having said that, this does not mean they can just bring any dumb IP and force it into the attraction. Like I said before this tower is iconic, therefore the tower itself IS the IP, and IMO stronger IP than the purchased ones…. Because it was born and raised in MGM/DHS. Also the ride system is unique compared to the other towers. So “If I was in charge”, I would leave queue untouched except for TOT logos and branding. Storyline can be kept similar (elevator accident) within the law and all ride effects most meet today’s technology (new ghost visuals, projection mapping, ect). When it comes to the scenes, I would personally leave the room’s hallway scene (due to iconic reasons) but refurbished, Complete redo of the top floor and perfect place to make it’s own name and separate from it’s predecessor (since until this point the ride experience has been very similar to TOT but with better visuals) and for final drop scene, I would add screens or something similar to M:BO at DCA to have some type of visuals during the drops. And that’s that, call it “The Haunted Hollywood Tower Hotel” to give that MK’s HM reference and I think that would make many people happy…. The Icon survives! As long they keep it dark and creepy like it should be. This tower is it’s own entity in the park, it should stay as HTH.

I’m not sure what’s going on with TOT because I haven’t followed, but if it is a matter of the future of the IP, then I can say I am ok with dropping the TTZ brand because at this point that tower is so iconic that it can easily stand by itself. Having said that, this does not mean they can just bring any dumb IP and force it into the attraction. Like I said before this tower is iconic, therefore the tower itself IS the IP, and IMO stronger IP than the purchased ones…. Because it was born and raised in MGM/DHS. Also the ride system is unique compared to the other towers. So “If I was in charge”, I would leave queue untouched except for TOT logos and branding. Storyline can be kept similar (elevator accident) within the law and all ride effects most meet today’s technology (new ghost visuals, projection mapping, ect). When it comes to the scenes, I would personally leave the room’s hallway scene (due to iconic reasons) but refurbished, Complete redo of the top floor and perfect place to make it’s own name and separate from it’s predecessor (since until this point the ride experience has been very similar to TOT but with better visuals) and for final drop scene, I would add screens or something similar to M:BO at DCA to have some type of visuals during the drops. And that’s that, call it “The Haunted Hollywood Tower Hotel” to give that MK’s HM reference and I think that would make many people happy…. The Icon survives! As long they keep it dark and creepy like it should be. This tower is it’s own entity in the park, it should stay as HTH.
Good points made here!

To catch you up, the current rumor is for an Oliver & Company drop tower/DVC kiosk

The Imagineers magically turn a $1 bill into a $5 bill. Thus an attraction that would cost Universal $100 million will cost Disney $500 million. It's the "real" Fantasy Land.;):)........... Universal Creative builds lands for the cost of Disney attractions.

I can imagine the accountants at Disney going into a full rage when the new HP coaster opens and they probably spent more on a severely scaled back Slinky Dog coaster.

It's more "we want to connect with them families"

Which is why Twilight Zone seems to be viewed as outdated

Personally I think, much like HM and Pirates, that ToT has its own iconic IP status

I laugh when people call the Twilight Zone outdated. It's a timeless show that has and always will be relevant. It's still a terrifying show. It gets two marathons every year for the last two decades on TV. And the show was decades old when ToT opened in 1994. Why is it suddenly irrelevant now?

All of it is nonsense and it is simply Disney being too damn cheap to retain the license and their lack of creativity will show when they butcher the current ride with some crappy, prisoner of the moment type of IP.

I laugh when people call the Twilight Zone outdated. It's a timeless show that has and always will be relevant. It's still a terrifying show. It gets two marathons every year for the last two decades on TV. And the show was decades old when ToT opened in 1994. Why is it suddenly irrelevant now?

All of it is nonsense and it is simply Disney being too damn cheap to retain the license and their lack of creativity will show when they butcher the current ride with some crappy, prisoner of the moment type of IP.

They do Christmas Story marathons every year too.

Random question - If I remember correctly, there is an outside sloping path upwards to ToT’s entrance. Does anyone know why? Perhaps to make more imposing?

Last edited:
Random question - If I remember correctly, there is an outside sloping path upwards to ToT’s entrance. Does anyone know why? Perhaps to make more imposing?

If you’re talking about from street level it’s because you board the elevator above where you depart it.