MIB: Alien Attack Revamp? | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

MIB: Alien Attack Revamp?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's not the same thing at all. By the time it was demolished, Dueling Dragons had lost it's main gimmick and had much of it's theming ripped out to awkwardly retrofit it to a Harry Potter Theme. Additionally, the ride itself, while very thrilling and fun, wasn't perfectly unique and irreplaceable. Travel an hour to Tampa and you can ride Kumba, which, sans dueling, is essentially the same experience (heck, Kumba's track layout is probably a bit better). It was replaced by a one-of-a-kind unique attraction in which Universal gave it its all.

MIB:AA, on the other hand, is, in my opinion, the best shooter ride in Florida. Compare its quick-spinning vehicles, huge, elaborate sets and copious amounts of well-designed animatronics to its competition. Toy Story Mania is all screens, and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin mostly relies on a cheap black-lit "cardboard cut-out" look.

Additionally, as the only shooter ride in all of USO and one of the few attractions at USF that doesn't rely on screens, it serves a very unique niche and plays a crucial role in diversifying the attraction line-up, as well as offering very high reridablity.
MIB is a great and unique ride... but to me it’s not “irreplaceable”. That was my main point.

This was a ride built on late 90’s technology. There’s no way you can convince me that they can’t build an even better shooter somewhere with modern tech.

MIB is a great and unique ride... but to me it’s not “irreplaceable”. That was my main point.

This was a ride built on late 90’s technology. There’s no way you can convince me that they can’t build an even better shooter somewhere with modern tech.

Sure, but do you know of any existing shooting rides that are better? In your opinion, what could they do to make a superior shooting ride (besides maybe some newer animatronics)? I don't really know how they could improve the level of interactivity with our current level of tech short of replacing things with screens. I also have difficulty conceiving of IPs that are better suited to the concept, besides maybe Ghostbusters (which isn't much more relevant than MIB these days).

Sure, but do you know of any existing shooting rides that are better? In your opinion, what could they do to make a superior shooting ride (besides maybe some newer animatronics)? I don't really know how they could improve the level of interactivity with our current level of tech short of replacing things with screens. I also have difficulty conceiving of IPs that are better suited to the concept, besides maybe Ghostbusters (which isn't much more relevant than MIB these days).
Maybe Nintendo will fit the bill. One of the main points they made is that everything should have a game component build into it. But at the moment MiB is the pinnacle in shooter rides, no one with half a brain would argue that, but Universal and Comcast have the drive and means to improve on that concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheezbat
MIB is the best shooter out there. Doesn’t mean they can’t improve upon the shooter concept.

If it ain't broke...

I think the fear of replacing a good thing also stems from the expectation that whatever replaces it might be a stinker. See: Disaster > Fast & Furious.

^^^^
This.

I liked Earthquake and Disaster WAY more than Fast and Furious. Twister was better than Fallon in my opinion. Back to the Future>Simpsons. Jaws>Gringotts. Hitchcock>Shrek.

Not much of what has been replaced impressed me. Mummy is better than Konfrontation and Despicable Me is better than it’s predecessors, but that’s about it for me.

If it’s more Potter stuff I’m sure it would be great, but Potter can’t replace everything.

I also have difficulty conceiving of IPs that are better suited to the concept, besides maybe Ghostbusters (which isn't much more relevant than MIB these days).

duck-hunt-1134281.jpeg

^^^^
This.

I liked Earthquake and Disaster WAY more than Fast and Furious. Twister was better than Fallon in my opinion. Back to the Future>Simpsons. Jaws>Gringotts. Hitchcock>Shrek.

Not much of what has been replaced impressed me. Mummy is better than Konfrontation and Despicable Me is better than it’s predecessors, but that’s about it for me.

If it’s more Potter stuff I’m sure it would be great, but Potter can’t replace everything.
Bring back Horizons!!!!

Part of what has me worried is that a replacement for MIB could be a complete downgrade. MIB is already one of the best rides in the park, so if it is replaced, I would expect it's successor to be of equal or better quality. Unfortunately, Universal hasn't made many attractions that are suitable replacements in that regard (Kong->Mummy, Funtastic World->Nicktoon Blast, UCS->UCC are the few that I can think of).

What would be even worse is if they turned it into more Potter. I'm personally of the opinion that Gringotts is worse than JAWS, and I don't like Diagon as much as Amity for a simple reason: Amity was more open and less drab.

So, here's the bottom line; the contract should be extended by another eight years (or however long the Simpsons contract has left) next year. Then, when the time comes, demolish both World Expo and Springfield and build a new area or two.

(OR Here's an alternate cursed option: Retheme it to some sort of Despicable Me jelly gun shooter :puke:)

Reactions: belloq87

Sad fact it will probably end up being VR

Reactions: Darko
I'm pretty sure VR as a trend is dead for now. I also don't think Universal are currently in a place where they would replace a practical sets/animatronics based ride with essentially a screen/VR attraction. Maybe if this was pre Supercrapcharged then I could see it happening but not now.

I'm pretty sure VR as a trend is dead for now. I also don't think Universal are currently in a place where they would replace a practical sets/animatronics based ride with essentially a screen/VR attraction. Maybe if this was pre Supercrapcharged then I could see it happening but not now.

I think VR from a theme park standpoint is prohibitively difficult and expensive. You need a professional grade graphics card running each and ensuring each of them are running perfectly in sync to have a group experience. Also it's something people can experience at home with continously newly generated content so you have those comparisons.

Something built in a vehicle and goes over the head could potentially work, but it also creates many points of failure from a maintenance standpoint.

Reactions: belloq87
Does Rip Torn’s death mean anything for this ride’s future?

They need to open at least one of Bourne or JP coaster before closing this.

Last edited:
That gives us a few years to earn our suits at least. Do you know if they have anything in particular in mind for replacing it? Not asking for what, just curious if they got an eye on the footprint.
If gives you until at least next year, based on the initial comment.

But as it stands, there aren’t any rumored plans to replace it that I’ve been told (recently).

Reactions: Darksider and jrn14