Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 391 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
guys, after seeing what they did with poltergeist last year, i think they can make anything into a good maze.

This times 20x.

Y’all are thinking too hard about it. Us translates because in actuality it’ll basically just be a slasher maze with the soundtrack and sets of the movie, with the tethers that we see along the way and their counterparts. This is the same event where we had The Purge 3x in one year and where Hollywood had 2 of Blumhouse’s worst movies in one year(even if they are guilty pleasures), and where we had Dracula Untold.

I get different opinions but it really isn’t that hard for Us to translate after seeing their work on The Shining, Exorcist, Poltergeist, and even this year’s Ghostbusters. They’re doing it because they know it’ll bring people in and because it was a successful movie from this year.

I legit don’t understand how someone would prefer an original house based on the tooth fairy (Here’s the pitch: “Imagine the tooth fairy, but like, scary”) as opposed to a movie that had some of the most inspired horror set pieces in recent memory, which would be constructed by some of the most skilled and creative horror experience artists in the game today.

There are opinions, and then there are... curious opinions, I’ll just say that.

I legit don’t understand how someone would prefer an original house based on the tooth fairy (Here’s the pitch: “Imagine the tooth fairy, but like, scary”) as opposed to a movie that had some of the most inspired horror set pieces in recent memory, which would be constructed by some of the most skilled and creative horror experience artists in the game today.

While I agree in general (my ideal event would be 10 IP houses) I can see why people do like the originals. There are less limitations on how creative Universal can get when designing them. With an IP you have to stick to the imagery used in the film, while also keeping the IP owner happy.

With an original they can run free and design whatever they want in whatever way they want.

Because there are no restrictions to the imagination. While it's great to step through the scenes of the Exorcist, Halloween or Poltergeist; I would never give up Ghost Town, Dead Waters (beautiful set design) or Scarecrow, Body Collectors (some of the scary originals)

US is a modern day “The Shining” in my honest opinion. It requires multiple viewings and makes you actually think and most importantly it was a completely original concept! Translated as a house could be incredible and sadly would only be relevant this year. which means they might as well take a chance with It! Get on jordan peele’s good side because who knows what masterpiece could be brought over in the future.

Because there are no restrictions to the imagination. While it's great to step through the scenes of the Exorcist, Halloween or Poltergeist; I would never give up Ghost Town, Dead Waters (beautiful set design) or Scarecrow, Body Collectors (some of the scary originals)

TBF, I would rather them cram a higher amount of IPs this year if it means allowing as high a percentage of OGs as possible for 30.

Reactions: Darko
US is a modern day “The Shining” in my honest opinion. It requires multiple viewings and makes you actually think and most importantly it was a completely original concept! Translated as a house could be incredible and sadly would only be relevant this year. which means they might as well take a chance with It! Get on jordan peele’s good side because who knows what masterpiece could be brought over in the future.

If you really want some modern day Kubrickian horror, you should watch Under The Skin. That's about the closest I've seen to a modern day Kubrick, at least in wide-release cinema.

I mean, you’re restricted in the sense that there are narratives and pre-existing expectations when you work with an IP, but the design and the scope is what makes literally all of those mazes you just mentioned (IPs and originals) special. I would imagine that’s why something like Ghostbusters appeals to the team. And limitless imagination isn’t always a good thing. The worst original mazes I’ve experienced are always these scatterbrained, “throw everything at the wall” cluster-effs that lack cohesion. IPs provide a through-line that I would imagine gives the designers space to construct the scenes more thoughtfully.

I mean, you’re restricted in the sense that there are narratives and pre-existing expectations when you work with an IP, but the design and the scope is what makes literally all of those mazes you just mentioned (IPs and originals) special. I would imagine that’s why something like Ghostbusters appeals to the team. And limitless imagination isn’t always a good thing. The worst original mazes I’ve experienced are always these scatterbrained, “throw everything at the wall” cluster-effs that lack cohesion. IPs provide a through-line that I would imagine gives the designers space to construct the scenes more thoughtfully.

I know you’re a relative newbie in terms of HHN, correct? Have you been Knott’s or experienced many of HHN’s original houses? Knotts alone survives on original content and is considered one of the best haunts in America.

I know you’re a relative newbie in terms of HHN, correct? Have you been Knott’s or experienced many of HHN’s original houses? Knotts alone survives on original content and is considered one of the best haunts in America.
Yeah! I have done Knott’s the past three years and I did Queen Mary a couple years ago. (No desire to go back, really.) My resistance to originals at HHN has nothing to do with originals, specifically. I just personally love the disparate experiences I get at HHN compared to Knott’s. One specials in the IPs, the other specializes in originals. One gives you the experience of being on a studio lot, the other is a “haunted amusement park.” I absolutely, 100% understand that originals and HHN aren’t mutually exclusive, and that they have a place at the event. But can only go off my own personal experiences here, and in the time I’ve been going to HHN in Hollywood, it’s been predominantly IPs that I’ve enjoyed and it will be IPs that will (for the most part) keep bringing me back. Although I love HHN too much to just straight up leave it haha

Us is happening based on the recent casting emails. Pretty obvious when HHN is putting out last minute casting calls for “Youthful Looking African Americans.”

I also don’t get the hate towards Us. It’s a damn good film and Jordan Peele is starting to rank amongst the masters of suspense and subversion - Hitchcock, Lynch, Peele.

I’ll also echo Legacy in that KKFOS is a terrible movie. What makes it a cult classic is it’s creativity and campiness.

Yeah! I have done Knott’s the past three years and I did Queen Mary a couple years ago. (No desire to go back, really.) My resistance to originals at HHN has nothing to do with originals, specifically. I just personally love the disparate experiences I get at HHN compared to Knott’s. One specials in the IPs, the other specializes in originals. One gives you the experience of being on a studio lot, the other is a “haunted amusement park.” I absolutely, 100% understand that originals and HHN aren’t mutually exclusive, and that they have a place at the event. But can only go off my own personal experiences here, and in the time I’ve been going to HHN in Hollywood, it’s been predominantly IPs that I’ve enjoyed and it will be IPs that will (for the most part) keep bringing me back. Although I love HHN too much to just straight up leave it haha

It's really all about your personal experiences in the end.

The reason why so many people desire for Orlando to go back to its' all-Original days or just for Hollywood to try more originals is because they've been witness to that and that's how they identify Horror Nights. Me, I've been attending since...HHN 23 over in Orlando, that's 2013. So I would be interested in seeing that tried again, but I'm not going to campaign for it or even get mad about it. I'm happy with the HHN I've been able to witness.

For a good chunk of "HHN vets", the mid 2000's original focused years are what made HHN for them. So in the end, it's all opinion.

Here I was thinking this year would not be an interesting speculation year, but I was wrong. This year's HHN is sounding interesting to say the least.