Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

Interesting, you were there the same day?
I was, but nothing further to report other than what has been said. Just verifying: major sections of the park were closed early on. I took that photo at 11:46am on Sunday June 2, where the lazy river and two person tube slides were closed. Couldn't even pass by the Alligator bridge, had to walk around the entire park to get to Punga Racers, which was open. Several employees instructed guests at the bridge to turn around and go the other way. I didn't check every attraction at every time, so unsure if Krakatau or others had be closed.

Edit:
Fixed Krakatau spelling and timestamp. :)

Last edited:
Yep, as seen in my photo from early that day

I was, but nothing further to report other than what has been said. Just verifying: major sections of the park were closed early on. I took that photo at 11:45am on Sunday June 2, where the lazy river and two person tube slides were closed. Couldn't even pass by the Alligator bridge, had to walk around the entire park to get to Punga Racers, which was open. Several employees instructed guests at the bridge to turn around and go the other way. I didn't check every attraction at every time, so unsure if Karakua or others had be closed.

Love how your pixel 2 includes the timestamp in the filename of the image, although you may want to revise your statement above, the correct time is 11:46 AM and 43 seconds... :nana:

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 11.17.00 AM.jpg

Universal may be looking into your picture as part of their defense!

ah, see your story is changing now, WHERE WERE YOU REALLY THE MORNING OF JUNE 2nd?!!
TBH, I got there early morning, went on five slides back to back to back, realized one of the sides tore a hole in my board shorts (scraped up my bum too!)... Went home, changed, came back, took that photo shortly after arrival.

TBH, I got there early morning, went on five slides back to back to back, realized one of the sides tore a hole in my board shorts (scraped up my bum too!)... Went home, changed, came back, took that photo shortly after arrival.

So what you told the Universal Rep was that the electric current shot through and ruined your shorts? ;-)

Well that would have been a sight for everyone behind you.

Any word on the expansion of this park

Nothing currently. It's been so long that I forgot what the expansion is supposed to be.

I'm thinking that this will be a multi-slide complex with a water coaster (mammoth) and some more tube slides. The Cedar Fair water parks have a slide complex that's half tube and half drop capsule, and if you replace the drop capsule slides with a water coaster and add a few more tube slides it'll fit perfectly within the park.

13308180_10154243219933599_4897493241846397627_o.jpg

(that's one of the Cedar Fair slide complexes, btw. Replace the three body slides with a water coaster that goes behind the complex, and then add two or three more tube slides where the majority of the body slide layouts are. Perfection)

Last edited:
I'll be finally hitting this in September. Any recommendations?
Use early entry if you are staying the hotels, and hit Krakatau first.

Afterwards, tap in at either Honu or (What's the green one called?), and enjoy Taiwanna Tubes, which is normally a Ride Now

Puhihi (the yellow/orange one) is normally a Ride Now all day as well

You've just done a ton

I'll be finally hitting this in September. Any recommendations?
Try to arrive early as Shiekra mentioned.

Always be in queue for something. Don't worry if it says to return, it will not remove you from the queue. Also, they will let you ride at "5 minutes", you don't need to wait for it to say return.

Grab chairs right away. There's free and paid seating all throughout.. I personally prefer the free seating near the back of the pack, just past Ohno and Ohyeah (when you head left after arrival). There you'll find a shaded spot which is generally pretty secluded. However, if you're planning to suntan with a good view, you could always complete for a seat in front of the volcano, but expect a lot of sun and people.

Unless you plan on spending lots of money on theme park food, I highly recommend packing your food. You can bring cans and plastic bottles, no glass and no alcohol. (They might inspect your drinks to ensure they're not glass or alcohol.) You can bring meals and snacks, I usually bring sandwiches +plenty of chips/fruit/etc. You can bring in soft coolers, no hard coolers. I bought a soft cooler backpack (about $20 on Amazon) which I pack full of cooler packs, drinks, and food, which I also bring to other theme parks.

Waterparks can be exhausting. I bring coffee/energy drinks to keep me going. :)

Drink lots of water. There's drinking fountains around the park which are above par. Or bring your own.

Bring and use lots of sunscreen. Even if it's not too hot or sunny, still use it. I've seen plenty of people burnt and it's just so unnecessary. I recommend buying a cheap sunscreen (like Walmart brand) for your body and a mineral sunscreen (zinc/"no tears") for your face... Otherwise your eyes may burn. (Do your face first, then body... Otherwise the body sunscreen will still be on your hands.) Apply multiple times daily, especially to spots like your shoulders/neck/arms. Don't forget your ears. :p

I like to bring a change of clothes to wear after using their (free) showers at the end of the day.

If you bring your phone, I recommend buying a cheap waterproof case (I got one on Amazon, 2 for $12 I think). You can't take it on a couple of slides (the drop slides/body slides), so either get a small locker or leave it with a friend/family members who isn't going on that slide. (Even if your phone is technically waterproof, beware of sand.)

Larger lockers are generally not necessary. Small locker for possible phone or money, but I don't see a need for anything else. People generally leave their stuff at their chairs, covered by shirts/towels. (Reconsider if you have luxury items I guess.) Lockers are reusable, you can open as many times as you want throughout the day.

You can leave small items on the net-shelves outside of the rides, items such as sandals, sunglasses, shirt, etc. Most slides allow sunglasses. The body slides/drop slides don't allow any items besides prescription glasses (which you'll need to hold in your hand). You can check with the Team Member prior to entering the ride on what's allowed.

The walkways can get hot on sunny days, but they spray the floor with water in most areas... Walk where it's wet if you're barefoot. :)

If you're going with a family, plan on seeing a lot of skin. They don't seem to have strict rules on this. Go to Disney if you have a problem with that. (Assuming Disney has fewer thongs, though I haven't been there in a while.)

Unless you don't want spoilers, watch some walkthrough videos on YouTube (such as from Tim Tracker). They'll give you some other tips and you'll get a better feel for the park.

Last edited:
Nothing currently. It's been so long that I forgot what the expansion is supposed to be.

I'm thinking that this will be a multi-slide complex with a water coaster (mammoth) and some more tube slides. The Cedar Fair water parks have a slide complex that's half tube and half drop capsule, and if you replace the drop capsule slides with a water coaster and add a few more tube slides it'll fit perfectly within the park.

13308180_10154243219933599_4897493241846397627_o.jpg

(that's one of the Cedar Fair slide complexes, btw. Replace the three body slides with a water coaster that goes behind the complex, and then add two or three more tube slides where the majority of the body slide layouts are. Perfection)

Going to add on to this, just because I'm a little bored. I think the perfect expansion for the park would be the slide complex I described above, a leisure pool with a couple of waterfalls, a small restaurant/bathroom complex, and some seating. Don't make this more complicated then it has to be.

The tube slides should always be a ride now, so that gives people waiting in the virtual queues something to do. The leisure pool gives a nice, quiet spot in the park to relax (also, yet another thing to do while waiting in queues), the restaurant could have a bar section with tropical drinks. The expansion also draws more people towards the back of the park, so now the other slides won't have as long of a wait, and the funnel and saucer raft slides (I forgot what their names were) will no longer be deserted. The area could be called Storm Village, or Rapids Village.

And to go into more detail about the slides in the complex, it would be nice if they each had some sort of unique element to them. Let's say that the complex contains six tube slides and the water coaster. The unique element of the water coaster would be the launches, of course. Then you have the tube slides, split into three pairs. One pair has small funnels, not unlike the tube slides found at Aquatica. Another has two toilet-bowl segments (I'm surprised that this element isn't found in the park at all). The last pair has large drops like the tube slides seen in the picture above. This way, you have a reason to try all the slides.