Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 547 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So they give an IP that not a lot of people have heard of an attraction (Bourne) and there's currently rides based on old comics in the parks (who's heard of Dudley? Cause I haven't), but they won't build an attraction based on one of the biggest TV shows to come out in recent memory? One that allows for plenty of call backs to old attractions and movies (BTTF, Jurassic Park, etc)?

That makes no sense to me. I love Universal, but they criminally underuse a lot of IP's that they have at their disposal (Marvel, Fast and Furious, Universal Classics, even Jurassic Park to an extent).

That's an extremely narrow way to look at things. I love Stranger Things, but Universal is already doing the most of what they can with the IP using it as a haunt. Not all IP's are equal. Some are slam dunks, like Potter. Some lend itself creatively to an attraction, like Dudley, or more popularly, Splash Mt.

Stranger Things is a hot IP now, but I'm not sure there's an attraction that could really be made out of it, and by the time the park opens in 3-4 years it may have been beaten to death. Remember how everyone was wild about The Walking Dead a few years ago? Now everyone is tired of it and glad they didn't make an attraction out of it...oops...

Stranger Things is a hot IP now, but I'm not sure there's an attraction that could really be made out of it, and by the time the park opens in 3-4 years it may have been beaten to death. Remember how everyone was wild about The Walking Dead a few years ago? Now everyone is tired of it and glad they didn't make an attraction out of it...oops...

The only good idea I've heard is replacing ET with it but at the risk of replacing the only OG ride in the resort and pissing off the fanbase?

Sure, but why not do more? It's clearly a giant IP up for grabs. Why not build a year round attraction based on it?

Actually, when you search around for highest rated Netflix shows, Stranger Things isn't the top show on Netflix. Some lists don't even have it in the top 10. Netflix doesn't release actual numbers apparently, but when they release lists, Stranger Things clearly isn't an emphasis.

Actually, when you search around for highest rated Netflix shows, Stranger Things isn't the top show on Netflix. Some lists don't even have it in the top 10. Netflix doesn't release actual numbers apparently, but when they release lists, Stranger Things clearly isn't an emphasis.

Stranger Things is a bit of a cultural phenomenon made up of 80s nostalgia. It might not be anybody’s favourite but it’s popular. In the world of theme parks, popular trumps best.

As for the fan base for Universal, it’s vocal but as we’ve discussed before, Universal isn’t exactly sentimental so I think anything is fair game.

Stranger Things is a bit of a cultural phenomenon made up of 80s nostalgia. It might not be anybody’s favourite but it’s popular. In the world of theme parks, popular trumps best.

As for the fan base for Universal, it’s vocal but as we’ve discussed before, Universal isn’t exactly sentimental so I think anything is fair game.

Theme parks run 5 years+ behind times though for rides. ST has not hit Walking Dead peak popularity levels, and we see where that's at now. ST may not even exist in the 5 years it takes to design and build a ride. Hell, if everyone keeps making their own streaming services, Netflix may not exist in 5 years.

Theme parks run 5 years+ behind times though for rides. ST has not hit Walking Dead peak popularity levels, and we see where that's at now. ST may not even exist in the 5 years it takes to design and build a ride. Hell, if everyone keeps making their own streaming services, Netflix may not exist in 5 years.
We know it won't. The Duffers have repeatedly said the show won't go beyond season 4.

That's the world we live in. Every IP needs a cooling off period to prove it's longevity. If it's still popular in a few years then it's an easier choice to build a ride or not.

Reactions: SeventyOne
If Universal wants to capitalize on their actual popular tv show IPs, the Office Dark ride and a Schurverse World would get added (The Good Place, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99). However, outside the Good Place and maybe The Office, I doubt UC would actually be able to come up with an epic attractions to fit all of those IPs.

Reactions: truejonas
If Universal wants to capitalize on their actual popular tv show IPs, the Office Dark ride and a Schurverse World would get added (The Good Place, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99). However, outside the Good Place and maybe The Office, I doubt UC would actually be able to come up with an epic attractions to fit all of those IPs.
Yeah I don’t think any of those are theme park IPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.