General Discussion - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure | Page 97 | Inside Universal Forums

General Discussion - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Probably a combination of all of them. 12, or whatever their theoretical maximum will be, probably requires pretty tight tolerances on blocks, and people getting on and off. Even at lesser numbers of trains, it probably still happens. Theres the issue with the LSM's where, depending on what the actual issue is, they either are overheating or are not firing hard enough leading to an occasional rollback. That throws the whole cycle out of whack. Could be a result of testing static loads versus live loads. A train with 1000 pounds of water dummies doesn't move like 1000 pounds of humans. That can effect things, but I really don't know how much of that is an issue here. Theres also just new equipment problems. Between trying to train people to use things, and the things being one off, never before used things, there can be problems. Best case scenario, this is all just down to training and getting everyone up to snuff on how to get people on and off quickly and how to quickly resolve problems. If its an Intamin, engineering, or design issue.... Then who knows.
LSM are inherently finicky, so there’s not much you can do for those besides write a better predictive algorithm. LSM on almost every coaster they’re on sometimes cause roll backs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teebin and fryoj
There must be only so much forward momentum that the break system can handle? I am mostly referring to the barn scene slow-down... the balance between getting a train over it’s hump but not too fast... any thoughts?

Reactions: WAJAS
There must be only so much forward momentum that the break system can handle? I am mostly referring to the barn scene slow-down... the balance between getting a train over it’s hump but not too fast... any thoughts?
While I assume that’s a part of it, I wouldn’t know. To clarify, while they’re not unusual, they are unusual in the frequency that’s occurring on Hagrid’s. I assume the designed speed is not too much faster than what is required to clear the hill, which means there is a small window that the LSM needs to get the train to.

Most coasters deal with this during special conditions, such as extreme cold, rainfall, and heat, which the algorithm may not be able to properly predict.

Reactions: Teebin
This is obviously all speculation too, but it's also possible it's not LSM issues but blocking/timing issues. The LSMs could be working as designed, and if the computer system is showing the block ahead is occupied, the LSMs will intentionally cause a roll back to keep the trains a safe distance a part.

This is obviously all speculation too, but it's also possible it's not LSM issues but blocking/timing issues. The LSMs could be working as designed, and if the computer system is showing the block ahead is occupied, the LSMs will intentionally cause a roll back to keep the trains a safe distance a part.

This is actually what’s happening. I was on the ride the other day and the train went out in front of us and we followed pretty close right behind it and rolled back and I noticed the train in front of us was just coming out of hagrids hut while we were cresting the hill.

Yeah but if the block ahead is occupied why would it not stop you on the launch with the magnetic brakes. They can work both ways (and clearly have to on the forward/backward section) to slow you down. Whenever there is a rollback on the first hill it's because the launch right before didn't engage, but I don't think block safety is the reason for that.

The LSM wouldn't fire at all, and would likely just stop the train right there. That's an E-Stop every time.

Yeah but if the block ahead is occupied why would it not stop you on the launch with the magnetic brakes. They can work both ways (and clearly have to on the forward/backward section) to slow you down. Whenever there is a rollback on the first hill it's because the launch right before didn't engage, but I don't think block safety is the reason for that.
The objective with block sections is to make sure two trains aren't on the same block under any circumstance, so the LSM's wouldn't let you past the block point until the next train was clear...So they wouldn't fire or cause a rollback

Usually standard procedure is keeping an entire empty block between trains so that if the one ahead doesn't make it, the next train has time to stop. For Hagrid this would mean not having the train hit the second launch until the train ahead exits the hut (with the hut being the empty block. It's normal for launch coasters to have the highest point just after the launch so that it's easier to roll back and has a lower chance of valleying in case of an aborted launch.

I'm pretty sure we're all saying the same thing, if the ride is rolling back it's not because the next block wasn't clear, because it would've been fully stopped at the launch by the magnetic brakes to eliminate any chance of a collision.

I'm confused as to why there are rollbacks in the first place, cause it seems to me that, given the speed that you have coming into it, if that second launch gives even a little bit of thrust you'll be able to clear the hill. But if something happened to cause the LSM's to turn off/be very ineffective, why wouldn't that trigger an e-stop anyways?

For Hagrid this would mean not having the train hit the second launch until the train ahead exits the hut (with the hut being the empty block).

There are actually two blocks within the hut, the first on the straight section that brakes then the curve itself. Though that really only matters when they get to max capacity (24 seconds).

There are actually two blocks within the hut, the first on the straight section that brakes then the curve itself. Though that really only matters when they get to max capacity (24 seconds).
I'm not sure if the straight section counts as a block. Intamin doesn't use brake sections as a block unless they have drive wheels at the end of it, so I assume they just use the entire hut as one block.

The launches are electo magnets that have to rapidly switch polarity to accelerate the trains. If it is slightly out of phase due to a sensor misreading or the train not coming in at an expected speed it could cause it to not launch with the desired speed or slow it down even. Its not like drive tires that can just spin fast therefore anything that comes into contact with it speeds up. Magnets work both ways and sometimes when out of sync for whatever reason it doesn't make it. Its just something that happen every now and again. At the end of the day they can relaunch the trains fairly quickly once they roll back into the launch track. Extended downtime has to be coming from another source.

The launches are electo magnets that have to rapidly switch polarity to accelerate the trains. If it is slightly out of phase due to a sensor misreading or the train not coming in at an expected speed it could cause it to not launch with the desired speed or slow it down even. Its not like drive tires that can just spin fast therefore anything that comes into contact with it speeds up. Magnets work both ways and sometimes when out of sync for whatever reason it doesn't make it. Its just something that happen every now and again. At the end of the day they can relaunch the trains fairly quickly once they roll back into the launch track. Extended downtime has to be coming from another source.
This. The magnetic brakes use the same concept to stop the trains. (Look up Eddy Current Braking Systems for more fun info)

I wonder if the mist before the spike or the blast ended skrewt section is causing sensors to think something is there that really isn't

I know it sounds silly, but we've seen this issue before with steam on Everest

The rag lives up to it's name just about all the time, "The Motley Fool". Why expect anything else from a click bait site whose writers consistently fail to research or understand what they're writing about. It's amateur hour on the web. :nana:

Reactions: Joel