Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 548 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Universal wants to capitalize on their actual popular tv show IPs, the Office Dark ride and a Schurverse World would get added (The Good Place, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99). However, outside the Good Place and maybe The Office, I doubt UC would actually be able to come up with an epic attractions to fit all of those IPs.
I dreamed up a concept for an Office dark ride one time and then wrote a treatment for it...back when the show was on TV, and I was young(er) and stupid(er)

So they give an IP that not a lot of people have heard of an attraction (Bourne) and there's currently rides based on old comics in the parks (who's heard of Dudley? Cause I haven't), but they won't build an attraction based on one of the biggest TV shows to come out in recent memory? One that allows for plenty of call backs to old attractions and movies (BTTF, Jurassic Park, etc)?

That makes no sense to me. I love Universal, but they criminally underuse a lot of IP's that they have at their disposal (Marvel, Fast and Furious, Universal Classics, even Jurassic Park to an extent).

Can I ask how old you are/where you are from? Because to say that not a lot of people have heard of Bourne is just factually incorrect, the films have made over 1.6 BILLION at the box office, these are among the most influential action-blockbusters of the 21st Century not some obscure arthouse flicks. And while it is true that Dudley Do-Right is among the less popular properties to have a big ride in Orlando (although certainly more relevant that the IP for the other big log flume in town) it was still on TV a lot during my childhood and I'm only 27, plus it had a movie the year the park opened.

As for Stranger Things I do not believe that it should have a permanent attraction (and not just because I thought the one episode I did see was pretty bad) I highly doubt it will have much staying power. In fact I kind of doubt any streaming shows will have much in the way of attractions, except for those that tie back to tradition media like something like She-Ra, because the way we interact with them is so different. By dropping whole seasons at once the cultural conversation doesn't stick around beyond the first few days, and we are more likely to watch them alone on our own devices instead of with groups of family or friends like we do with regular TV shows and movies. So while these shows may pull huge viewers though it's impossible to know as Netflix rarely releases raw numbers they feel like much less a lasting part of the culture and thus are less suited for something like a theme park ride that takes years to design and build and are intended to be a draw for millions for 10-20 years.

So they give an IP that not a lot of people have heard of an attraction (Bourne) and there's currently rides based on old comics in the parks (who's heard of Dudley? Cause I haven't), but they won't build an attraction based on one of the biggest TV shows to come out in recent memory? One that allows for plenty of call backs to old attractions and movies (BTTF, Jurassic Park, etc)?

That makes no sense to me. I love Universal, but they criminally underuse a lot of IP's that they have at their disposal (Marvel, Fast and Furious, Universal Classics, even Jurassic Park to an extent).

As for Stranger Things I do not believe that it should have a permanent attraction (and not just because I thought the one episode I did see was pretty bad) I highly doubt it will have much staying power. In fact I kind of doubt any streaming shows will have much in the way of attractions, except for those that tie back to tradition media like something like She-Ra, because the way we interact with them is so different. By dropping whole seasons at once the cultural conversation doesn't stick around beyond the first few days, and we are more likely to watch them alone on our own devices instead of with groups of family or friends like we do with regular TV shows and movies. So while these shows may pull huge viewers though it's impossible to know as Netflix rarely releases raw numbers they feel like much less a lasting part of the culture and thus are less suited for something like a theme park ride that takes years to design and build and are intended to be a draw for millions for 10-20 years.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter what IP they use for a ride. A great ride will be popular for 10-20 years. Although Dudley was popular back in the day, it is not even known by many younger than 25. I am 33 and only know the IP because of the really bad Brendan Fraser movie, yet Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls is probably in the top 3 rides for me at Island's of Adventure. It is just a fun ride. The IP does not matter if the general public are happy with the ride. Some of the timeless rides at Disney are not based on any direct source.

Now a bad ride will be judged harder if its an IP that is widely known. The IP doesn't affect a great ride but affects a bad ride tremendously.

Although I am not a fan of the Bourne series, it is very popular. The craze right now is for John Wick, but I would argue that the craze for Bourne was more apparent when the first Bourne movies were released than what is seen now with John Wick. I remember thinking " whats the big deal?" as I am doing now for the John Wick movies. Even if the show is tied strongly to the IP or loosely based, if the show is great it will be popular among the guests already in the park for Harry Potter. A loose connection to the IP (an "oh yeah i remember that movie" thought) is all that is needed.

I really don't believe its the IP that keeps E.T. and the Mummy rides around. It is the ride that receives high GSATs and keeps them around ( besides maybe Spielberg). To say that a great stranger things ride with animatronics and great scares like Mummy will not be popular with the park is IMO not accurate.

@MLevell not sure what episode you saw but Stranger things is pretty popular. Game of thrones was bringing in around 17-18 million an episode and the series finale brought in a little more than 19 million. Below are the stats for season 2 for Stranger things from Variety. These are the numbers for the viewers in the first three days of its release. I would say thats pretty good, and on a personal note I spent my July 4th watching all 8 episode of Season 3.

They already have an IP that will bring the people in for now: harry potter. The new park will have nintendo to bring in the people. They just need fun rides with a loose connection to give people more to do to make their stay longer. I think Stranger things could be that loose connection 10-20 years from now.

“Chapter One” averaged 15.8 million viewers and 11 million people 18-49
“Chapter Two” averaged 13.7 million viewers and 9.6 million people 18-49
“Chapter Three” averaged 11.6 million viewers and 8.1 million viewers 18-49
“Chapter Four” averaged 9.3 million viewers and 6.6 million viewers 18-49
“Chapter Five” averaged 8 million viewers and 5.6 million viewers 18-49
“Chapter Six” averaged 6.4 million viewers and 4.5 million viewers 18-49
“Chapter Seven” averaged 5.3 million viewers and 3.7 million viewers 18-49
“Chapter Eight” averaged 4.9 million viewers and 3.4 million viewers 18-49
“Chapter Nine” averaged 4.6 million viewers and 3.2 million viewers 18-49

Now all that said, will Universal make a ride for Stranger Things in Park 3? unfortunately, probably not.

Now that Brooklyn Nine-Nine was mentioned, I'd love to see Boyle get a food truck or stand and have the other cops there for something while hearing them make jokes in the area.

Then again, it wasn't big enough of a hit for Fox to keep carrying it and was saved by Comcast synergy, so I highly doubt that'd happen.

Reactions: richjagr
I mean I guess inherently it'd be free because CityWalk is but I more pictures this "Hub" as an acting CityWalk, having restaurants and shops throughout, which also has entry to every "World" and the Fantastic Worlds. That way the Hub is a 2nd CityWalk while also being used as the Park Entrance if that makes sense.

having restaurants and shops throughout, which also has entry to every "World" and the Fantastic Worlds.

I mean...that's every hub.

That way the Hub is a 2nd CityWalk while also being used as the Park Entrance if that makes sense.

It won't be like CityWalk. The entrance to the park will be before the Hub.

It's very hard to make a lasting attraction out of a TV show

Fear Factor and Fallon are the only two I can think of, and Fear Factor wouldn't be standing if the deal with the new park didn't go through
Not sure what meets the criteria of lasting attraction... but the following have all been attractions at Disney/Universal, and I'm sure I'm missing some (not including Nickelodeon, Hanna Barbera, Popeye, or Dudley Do-Right):
  • Murder She Wrote (90 - 96)
  • Hercules and Xena (97 - 2000)
  • Star Trek (88 - 94 at USH and 91 - 96 at USF)
  • Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (2001 - 06 at DHS and 2001 - 04 at DCA)
  • American Idol (2009 - 2014)
  • Walking Dead (2016 - present)
  • Barney (95 - present)
  • Simpsons (2008 - present for both)
Sure these might not be $1 billion dollar attractions/worlds, but they shouldn't be disregarded.

I'd say there's a lot of TV shows which deserve a good theme park attraction or entire world of their own... But most of the time it comes down to how much money the owners want or some other behind the scenes reason. SpongeBob, Dr Who, and Star Trek I think are a few great examples of IPs which did not reach their full potential.

IMO...
For Stranger Things specifically, I think it would be neat to have a year round HHN house at USF. If the franchise becomes more popular over the next decade, add a big expansion to Monsters world at UFW (with the assumption they're going to loosen what they add to that world after opening).

Last edited:
Reactions: therock
Murder She Wrote (90 - 96)
Hercules and Xena (97 - 2000)
These but they were side attractions at best

Star Trek (88 - 94 at USH and 91 - 96 at USF)
Star Trek is a pop culture icon, the atrraction was trash

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (2001 - 06 at DHS and 2001 - 04 at DCA)
Fear Factor Live, but with questions and no eating worms, again - one and done experience

American Idol (2009 - 2014)
That show was miserable and forgotten

Walking Dead (2016 - present)
It's fun, but it's a walkthrough, not a ride

Barney (95 - present)
The fact that Barney is still around is a miracle

Simpsons (2008 - present for both)
This show left a huge impact on pop culture, it was also a film has multiple video games, and significant iconography to host a land/ride
Sure these might be $100 million dollar attractions, but they shouldn't be disregarded
I said it was hard, not impossible to make an attraction out of a TV show...They simply just don't hold up the same way that films or cinematic universes do. Fantastic World of HB is a combination of a bunch of different IPs merged into one, Nickelodeon was as well.

Granted, I could see a Nick area with Spongebob as he is a viable IP in the same vein as the Simpsons

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Not sure why Fantastic Beasts might be getting it's own area in the new park, I would think that having Hogsmaede and Diagon Alley is more than enough, they can always just add to those two areas, no? I don't know, I love HP but it's a bit much...

These but they were side attractions at best

Star Trek is a pop culture icon, the atrraction was trash

Fear Factor Live, but with questions and no eating worms, again - one and done experience

That show was miserable and forgotten

It's fun, but it's a walkthrough, not a ride

The fact that Barney is still around is a miracle

This show left a huge impact on pop culture, it was also a film has multiple video games, and significant iconography to host a land/ride
I said it was hard, not impossible to make an attraction out of a TV show...They simply just don't hold up the same way that films or cinematic universes do. Fantastic World of HB is a combination of a bunch of different IPs merged into one, Nickelodeon was as well.

Granted, I could see a Nick area with Spongebob as he is a viable IP in the same vein as the Simpsons
I mean, you say attraction but then switch it to "ride" so it doesn't count. And you say a couple we side attractions so those don't count? It's hard for me to agree that Fear Factor counts but Murder She Wrote doesn't.

I think you and I agree though - it's hard to find an IP based on a TV show which can carry a major attraction + world.

But, I'm not really convinced that just because an IP came from tv that it automatically sets it back compared to an IP which came from movies or elsewhere.

I mean, you say attraction but then switch it to "ride" so it doesn't count. And you say a couple we side attractions so those don't count? It's hard for me to agree that Fear Factor counts but Murder She Wrote doesn't.
A side attraction is not a ride, it's a side attraction, aka filler, one and done, whatever you want to call it. I just simply call it not good. Side attractions count if they are good, MSW was not, no matter what the Universal purists say.

What's your obsession with Murder She Wrote by the way?

But, I'm not really convinced that just because an IP came from tv that it automatically sets it back compared to an IP which came from movies or elsewhere.
If you were UC, what's a TV show that you would base a lasting attraction on right now?

Not sure why Fantastic Beasts might be getting it's own area in the new park, I would think that having Hogsmaede and Diagon Alley is more than enough, they can always just add to those two areas, no? I don't know, I love HP but it's a bit much...

I see the point totally, however, Fantastic Beasts I think can mainly be focused about the Beasts themselves and their world. So personally I can see it being sold as another wizarding world, but being completely different. Imagine a ride going through Newt's case, into his world with the beasts, animatronics everywhere, I think it could be lovely tbh. I can even see them using the Kuka or whatever system Forbidden Journey uses for this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.