Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Midsommar

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
From the writer and director of last year's breakout A24 Horror film, Hereditary, Midsommar from Ari Aster strikes again.

I am posting this, as I got word from the grapevine a while back on the film from a few of my friends. And with it coming out and screened towards press, it is something that I feel might need to be given the proper thread for.

Hereditary was so freaky and insane. I have no doubt this one will be worth a watch too.

I read the script awhile ago it's pretty gripping and different than what Horror movies have been putting out.

It definitely is a film much like "Hereditary" that will stick with you after seeing it. After reading the script it took me awhile to stop thinking about it similar to after I saw "Hereditary" for the first time.

Definitely check this out. Script was great so I can't wait to see the actual movie.

Absolutely loved it. Not for everyone but not a traditional horror flick. Don't think I have ever seen anything like it. Go see it you will definitely be weirded out by it.

I respect Ari Aster for his art and clear talent, but absotluety not after Hereditary. Scariest and most disturbing thing Ive ever seen.

Ari Aster is a master of mood & taboo, but he's yet to truly stick the landing with either of his features in my book. He's capable of beautiful subtlety and naturalism, with mounting dread and terror... until it isn't subtle anymore, and he bludgeons you with his (now clearly delineated) horror imagery.

I did like Midsommar, but it wasn't a revelation or anything. It's The Wicker Man from a female perspective.

I loved Hereditary. It is with complete disappointment to say this movie was garbage. I have never in my life felt like walking out of a movie in a theatre until now. I'll post my full thoughts later, but this was completely style over substance with horror elements sprinkled here and there.

So this movie is a demented version of The Wizard of Oz. As they enter the village they are greeted by a path of yellow flowers.

The three Dani travels with mirror the three Dorothy travels with. Her boyfriend is heartless, Josh is seeking knowledge, and Mark was afraid (dare I say cowardly?) of the bugs and is visibly nervous most of the time there.

Pelle describes the loss of his family, and how the commune is his family and his family is his home. Dani has lost her family and this has lost her home much like Dorothy. The difference is she chooses to stay in her version of Oz.

This is all foreshadowed in the beginning as you can see a picture of Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz on the fridge in Josh’s apartment and the lion picture in her bedroom.

My tweet sums up my thoughts about the film:

I won't post spoilers, but after seeing the movie and then reading some "explanations" of the movie (not that anything really needs to be explained, the plot is pretty straightforward--but I more wanted to see if there were any details or layers I missed), the filmmakers themselves state this plot is not meant to be a surprise... you were supposed to get where this was going very early on. It was more about watching an inevitable journey and not being able to stop it rather than an original concept. They also view it more as a fairy tale with horrific elements. I encourage your to read some "ending explained" articles just to realize some of the nuances and interpretations of the film. (Do it after seeing the film, of course.)

Another article mentioned they were editing up to the very last minute... which may explain something I saw in the trailer that wasn't in the film... unless I missed it... but did the scene with the bare feet levitating off the ground end up in the final film?

My tweet sums up my thoughts about the film:

I won't post spoilers, but after seeing the movie and then reading some "explanations" of the movie (not that anything really needs to be explained, the plot is pretty straightforward--but I more wanted to see if there were any details or layers I missed), the filmmakers themselves state this plot is not meant to be a surprise... you were supposed to get where this was going very early on. It was more about watching an inevitable journey and not being able to stop it rather than an original concept. They also view it more as a fairy tale with horrific elements. I encourage your to read some "ending explained" articles just to realize some of the nuances and interpretations of the film. (Do it after seeing the film, of course.)

Another article mentioned they were editing up to the very last minute... which may explain something I saw in the trailer that wasn't in the film... unless I missed it... but did the scene with the bare feet levitating off the ground end up in the final film?

That scene, the animal sacrifice scene, Christian and Dani’s argument, and the river ceremony were all cut. I’m hoping for a Director’s cut of this movie.

Interesting how conventional this one ended up being. And also how funny. I think that's why, despite how slow the middle half was and despite the weird old lady scene, this movie still has a better cinemaScore than Hereditary.

I really enjoyed it. Felt like a schlocky horror movie a la Texas Chainsaw Massacre or 2000 Maniacs with an Annihilation moodiness to it. It's a very unique brew, and I'm glad I got to see it. That said, I'm really not sure if I'm gonna see it again, it's just too darn slow.

So just got back from watching it (great first date movie). The theater was packed and a few people clapped at the end. I liked it overall and the score is really great. It is a little slow though but the visuals were interesting.

Interesting how conventional this one ended up being. And also how funny. I think that's why, despite how slow the middle half was and despite the weird old lady scene, this movie still has a better cinemaScore than Hereditary.

Despite the weird old lady scene? Because of the weird old lady scene!

That ending...

The movie starts off sort of serious and then becomes more of a comedy at the end.

Nothing wrong with that... horror and comedy definitely have a relationship that doesn’t often get explode deeply. More horror-comedies are on the intentionally zany side, so I enjoyed how this was was more unexpected and underplayed with its humor.

tenor.gif

Despite the weird old lady scene? Because of the weird old lady scene!

Nothing wrong with that... horror and comedy definitely have a relationship that doesn’t often get explode deeply. More horror-comedies are on the intentionally zany side, so I enjoyed how this was was more unexpected and underplayed with its humor.

I want a random Swedish woman to start singing to me every time I have sex from now on

So I decided to catch this. Luckily there were practically no jump scares and everything sorta just happened. I got used to the pacing as well which made me less anxious watching. Overall not my favorite movie but a well made horror flick for sure. Id say for someone who didn't go to the theatre much as Hereditary, this film didn't do the same to me. I was disturbed, creeped out, and didn't look like once but overall the imagery is not as disturbing here I feel. But still disturbing none the less if that makes sense.