Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

One thing that jumps out at me about not only this land, but Disney’s other IP lands (TSL and Pandora) is that they have all completely ignored the best part of Diagon Alley: Knockturn. It’s an enclosed, air-conditioned building that is completely in-theme.

With the lack of shade Disney seems to be putting into these areas, places like this seem to be a big missed opportunity.

One thing that jumps out at me about not only this land, but Disney’s other IP lands (TSL and Pandora) is that they have all completely ignored the best part of Diagon Alley: Knockturn. It’s an enclosed, air-conditioned building that is completely in-theme.

With the lack of shade Disney seems to be putting into these areas, places like this seem to be a big missed opportunity.
ThErE WaS nO AC iN tHE StAr WarS MoVIes

Also, Knockturn is my favorite part of Diagon and one of the coolest things Universal has ever done in a land

From my understanding, it was originally planned that the next big thing (after RotR) to GE was a whole slew of entertainment offerings of various scales. If this restaurant was in fact fast-tracked then the budget was moved and the entertainment offerings will be pushed back yet again.

Entertainment is an on-going expense. The restaurant is a one time expense that also brings in more revenue. While that doesn't mean you are wrong, they are completely different things.

Entertainment is an on-going expense. The restaurant is a one time expense that also brings in more revenue. While that doesn't mean you are wrong, they are completely different things.
I don't necessarily consider it anything more than addressing a capacity issue. Entertainment offerings may or may not come eventually

Disney scared people so bad that they ran all the way from LA to Orlando, and got in line for Hagrid's coaster. ;):lol:
I posted the above on June 27th. For some reason, I was criticized for making this joke, even though it was right on the thread topic. . Today on Touring plans Derek Burgan did his Saturday Six column on Touring Plans with a satirical column , "Real Reasons Why Disneyland feels less crowded this Summer"...and his Number Two reason was "Potential Guests Still Stuck In Line at Hagrid's Magic Creatures Motorbike Adventure". At least someone else has a similar sense of humor. I don't feel like an outcast anymore. :lol: .....We can't always be dead serious about theme parks like they're a life and death issue, because they certainly are not....End of rant.

I posted the above on June 27th. For some reason, I was criticized for making this joke, even though it was right on the thread topic. . Today on Touring plans Derek Burgan did his Saturday Six column on Touring Plans with a satirical column , "Real Reasons Why Disneyland feels less crowded this Summer"...and his Number Two reason was "Potential Guests Still Stuck In Line at Hagrid's Magic Creatures Motorbike Adventure". At least someone else has a similar sense of humor. I don't feel like an outcast anymore. :lol: .....We can't always be dead serious about theme parks like they're a life and death issue, because they certainly are not....End of rant.

I think the criticism is more about the Dis vs Uni infighting that happens on this board. At some point you feel like telling people to shut up and stick it.

I think the criticism is more about the Dis vs Uni infighting that happens on this board. At some point you feel like telling people to shut up and stick it.
To go to the serious side, I don't think there's really much infighting between Disney & Universal adherents on this board. Most often people criticize what they believe are bad decisions, by both park systems, pretty equally. In fact , I would wager that most everyone on this site that likes Universal parks, also like and attends Disney parks. Criticisms are generally along the lines of over pricing, budget cuts, entertainment cuts, staff cuts, long lines, attractions not meeting expectations, and secondary treatment of visitor's needs by the respective park systems. Those are all legitimate concerns. From what I've read on this thread, it seems most of the positive and negative points concerning the GESWL expansion are mostly very fair representations of various posters thoughts and opinions.

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask and don't want to start a new thread since this is just a question but hope someone helps me out:

I am going to LA next week for only two days since I really am just going for a concert. Since my flight arrives at LAX at 7:20 AM I was planning on going to Universal that day since it is not too far from the Greek Theatre, and I was just going to roam around on Friday since my flight is at 7:35 PM. I saw that Disneyland opens at 8 AM and have read about the attendance numbers, and I am getting tempted to buy a 1 day pass to go to Galaxy's Edge. I assume getting an Uber or Lyft at 3:30 or 4 PM should be safe, right?

I do have another trip to LA for Disneyland in December, that one 4 days long, but if the park is doable I wouldn't mind going in there to get my first fix of Galaxy's Edge.

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask and don't want to start a new thread since this is just a question but hope someone helps me out:

I am going to LA next week for only two days since I really am just going for a concert. Since my flight arrives at LAX at 7:20 AM I was planning on going to Universal that day since it is not too far from the Greek Theatre, and I was just going to roam around on Friday since my flight is at 7:35 PM. I saw that Disneyland opens at 8 AM and have read about the attendance numbers, and I am getting tempted to buy a 1 day pass to go to Galaxy's Edge. I assume getting an Uber or Lyft at 3:30 or 4 PM should be safe, right?

I do have another trip to LA for Disneyland in December, that one 4 days long, but if the park is doable I wouldn't mind going in there to get my first fix of Galaxy's Edge.
You should have plenty of time to see Galaxy's edge and get on some rides. Mornings have been slower and you can knock out some rides quickly. Smugglers run sees lines early going up to 90 - 120 min at rope drop. They do have single rider open but I have no personally used it.

———

I spent 4th of July on Batuu. I can say that Black Spire Outpost at night is really an exceptional experience. Also one of the best places in the park to watch the fireworks. I recommend a nighttime visit and a day visit to get the full experience. I always make a reservation for Ogas and have tried almost all the drinks. It is a fun atmosphere and we really enjoy the experience. Some of the drinks are not bad at all.

After the fireworks the line for Smugglers run was 30 min. We jumped in line right away because everyone else had the same idea and when we got off the ride, the wait bloated to 60 min.

Did Engineer this time. The last 2 rides I was a pilot so I was actually excited to do engineer. I like the role but not as much as pilot. My partner really liked engineer because there was a lot less pressure to perform. She liked that she can relax and just enjoy the ride while pushing buttons. You certainly miss some of the action because you are focused on the side panel some of the time but it still is fun. I even recorded a video of the entire ride and got 100% as engineer so it is pretty easy to keep up. My pilots were trash and I get if you have never rode the ride it is hard to follow but there is some disappointment when you know the crew can do better. Someone asked in the forum if CM's comment on your performance. I didn't notice my first 2 times but this time as we were leaving the said "Engineers good job on keeping the Falcon in good shape." I didn't hear what or if they said anything to the gunners or pilots but I thought it was interesting since that was a feature people talked about the ride.

Overall I really enjoy the land for it's immersion and visuals. The ride is fun but not worth a 120 min wait.

I seriously doubt this will happen, but seeing how Marvel is bigger than Star Wars now (going by Infinity War beating the Force Awakens for biggest opening ever), I can’t gelp but throw out this big “what if”:

The Last Jedi didn’t earn as much as the hoped they would (which is a shame because I thought it was almost as good as Empire, but that’s another topic for another time). There is a good amount of people that aren’t thrilled about how SW is going or are getting worn out with the franchise.

With that in mind and considering the culture has shifted its obsession more on Marvel (Again, with Infinity War beating the Force Awakens for biggest box office opening ever), I wonder if Galaxy’s Edge will experience a similar fate to Wizarding World at USH? People may be put off with how Disney may handle their price structure and how they may handle the franchise and not as many may show up as hoped. Maybe charging extra to get in to GE on top of admission may blow up in their face.

I mean, this is Disney we’re talking about. It won’t be as bad as USH Wizarding World considering this will be the first one of its kind and brand new, but you never know; we could see something along those lines for grand opening reception. Like I mentioned, people may be worn out on Star Wars, how Disney may structure their pricing scheme, and be more focused on Marvel.

Hey that’s another factor. You may have people hold off until Marvel Land. Could you imagine? Galaxy’s Edge doesn’t get as many people as they hoped and Marvel bursts DCA at the seems.

Going through the early posts to see some of the construction stuff I found this by @Freak which is kinda on point right now.

EDIT: Thanks to the mods for making my 3 posts into 1. Try not to double post but always in a rush.

Last edited:

Working in leisure capital planning, Entertainment likely has a completely separate budget from Food/Beverage. If they fast tracked a full service restaurant the most likely delayed/cut project would be another restaurant. This would differ from the budget for the entire land which was probably set in their New Land budget. Once it became operational each department would be pushing their own investments.

Just as a nit-pick. Entertainment development capital would be different from entertainment ongoing expense. There is no way a restaurant would be considered an expense... Lastly while restaurant would absolutely have a high ROI (return on investment) the entertainment development likely wouldn't so they would really be considered completely different projects. It is nearly impossible to measure ROI for something that adds ambiance short of surveying guests and asking if the entertainment option would encourage them to come back to the park (unlikely).

As I wait in the airport for my ride home, some quick bullet points.

- Size and scale of the land is seriously impressive.
- I liked Smugglers Run a lot more than thought I would. (Was a Pilot and Engineer.)
- Oga's is really sweet, but needs a expansion. Bespin Fizz and Fuzzy Tauntaun are real winners for me.
- I thought the general soundscape was nice, though at the same time I wish we heard more of that awesome custom score more often.
- Both the Morning and regular Ronto Wraps are quite tasty and I'd totally go back for them.
- One of the best features (for the time being) are the various characters roaming about.
- The land is gorgeous at night.

I'll go into more detail later, but this is overall a solid land that I'm glad I got to experience. Looking forward to RotR eventually opening!

Had my friends go to Disneyland - can anyone confirm that there is no Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker presence - in the sense they are not in the attractions or any anamatronics etc?

^ Correct. There are references sprinkled throughout, but the land is completely enriched in the likes of the Disney trilogy

I went yesterday again and Disneyland and GE are really empty

Perhaps allowing long lines and queues would be good for publicity.

In essence trying to be too clever, and give users an experience has backfired also.

^ Correct. There are references sprinkled throughout, but the land is completely enriched in the likes of the Disney trilogy

That's big problem rite there.

It's silly beyond belief to exclude major aspects of the original trilogy - that is still one of the most inconic set of movies of all times, with equally iconic characters.

Last edited by a moderator: