General Discussion - Jurassic World: The Ride | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

General Discussion - Jurassic World: The Ride

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Better look at the reskinned Steg, courtesy of USA Today.

Attachments

• 040a8438-515b-475c-bf44-fbf170602075-JW-DINO_Steg_2.jpg
    040a8438-515b-475c-bf44-fbf170602075-JW-DINO_Steg_2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: rocklobsterrr_85
You are talking about a lack of maintenance, which has nothing to do with a ride’s initial design. The dinos and jeep worked fine for a very long time. This would be like Disney never maintaining Pirates and people saying it needs to go because the Pirates are broken.

Even when the dinos werent 100% it was super impressive. Sorry but seeing a CGI water monster for me isn’t nearly as impressive or impactful as the opening scene, which set the stage perfectly.

Sightlines is a bad excuse for downgrading a scene on the scope and scale of Jurassic Park River Adventure. The parking lot never bothered me and well placed trees can solve this easily.

ET was a fantastic family dark ride and was Universal’s own equivalent of Peter Pan. The park has been lacking a family dark ride ever since they closed it. BTTF was much better than Simpsons IMO. Harry Potter is a cool addition and I really enjoy the area, although it is rather small, I also greatly enjoy Galaxy’s Edge.
Exactly. I have been saying that for years. The fact that JP was left to rot, it doesn't mean it had to be updated and change so much for JW. Disney doesn't let rides get to that point of total neglect of a ride. Mind you that Pirates has dozens and dozens of animatronics and it opened in the 60s and that ride is still going strong. When a ride has problems they just do an extensive refurb (like Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain). They leave their classics (most of the time) and they have the same challenges Universal faces. Someone mentioned that the AAs were hard to upkeep because they were outside, totally forgetting that Jungle Cruise has one big AA under a constant stream of water and it still works and looks good. JP was impressive when it opened and it was still impressive like 5 or 6 years ago, management just neglected that ride. Would it have been impossible to replace old AAs with new ones, remove the dead foliage and just plant more trees? fixing the explorer falling gag and just take care of it? The parking complaint was easily fixable as you say. I just don't understand why people are trying to wiggle Universal out of its responsibility to upkeep their business.

Relatively off topic but still on the topic of all of the negativity that I have seen from this refurb..

I’ve noticed a ton of growth in the theme park community over the last year or so. A lot of people entering seem to be kind of young and even possibly newly entering the theme park “scene.” A lot of the comments I have seen are ripping universal for making a very similar ride (Yes..even in only 9 months time. Not sure what they expected) and also for changing a classic. To those of them that seem to be really upset with this refurb, I have to wonder what they would have thought about the 9 month change from BTTF to Simpsons if they were around for that haha
My point here is that Universal is in the theme park business. They do that for a living (at least the theme park division) They are supposed to deliver a top notch guest experience and offer a good product, they surely are charging for a superior experience. It is a business, I don't know why people cut them some slack. It's like going to a restaurant, ordering something and then making excuses for them, "oh, well they just had 5 minutes to prepare my food. I guess it's fine that my chicken is not cooked well". It's not ok, they are a multibillion company that can and should invest time and money in their product. 9 months is a lot of time to do something better than what they did. The should have restored the ride to it's former glory. If it's not enough time, then take more time. Disneyland has taken rides offline for months to make sure their refurbs are up to par. Thunder mountain went offline more than a year to replace the track and final effects. Space Mountain went under for almost 2 years to replace the whole track. (I know Matterhorn is desperate for a refurb but another topic for another day).
It is frustrating because Universal Creative has shown what they are capable of, but they are very inconsistent. You get impressive rides like Hagrid's and Forbidden journey and then you get turds like King Kong and Fast and Furious (at Orlando. They are perfectly fine parts of the Studio Tour, but awful standalone attractions)
All in all, we should not get shortchanged just because they didn't plan the refurb well or just because they wanted to avoid problems.
By the way, I still mourn BTTF. Simpsons is something that needs to go.

Exactly. I have been saying that for years. The fact that JP was left to rot, it doesn't mean it had to be updated and change so much for JW. Disney doesn't let rides get to that point of total neglect of a ride. Mind you that Pirates has dozens and dozens of animatronics and it opened in the 60s and that ride is still going strong. When a ride has problems they just do an extensive refurb (like Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain). They leave their classics (most of the time) and they have the same challenges Universal faces. Someone mentioned that the AAs were hard to upkeep because they were outside, totally forgetting that Jungle Cruise has one big AA under a constant stream of water and it still works and looks good. JP was impressive when it opened and it was still impressive like 5 or 6 years ago, management just neglected that ride. Would it have been impossible to replace old AAs with new ones, remove the dead foliage and just plant more trees? fixing the explorer falling gag and just take care of it? The parking complaint was easily fixable as you say. I just don't understand why people are trying to wiggle Universal out of its responsibility to upkeep their business.

My point here is that Universal is in the theme park business. They do that for a living (at least the theme park division) They are supposed to deliver a top notch guest experience and offer a good product, they surely are charging for a superior experience. It is a business, I don't know why people cut them some slack. It's like going to a restaurant, ordering something and then making excuses for them, "oh, well they just had 5 minutes to prepare my food. I guess it's fine that my chicken is not cooked well". It's not ok, they are a multibillion company that can and should invest time and money in their product. 9 months is a lot of time to do something better than what they did. The should have restored the ride to it's former glory. If it's not enough time, then take more time. Disneyland has taken rides offline for months to make sure their refurbs are up to par. Thunder mountain went offline more than a year to replace the track and final effects. Space Mountain went under for almost 2 years to replace the whole track. (I know Matterhorn is desperate for a refurb but another topic for another day).
It is frustrating because Universal Creative has shown what they are capable of, but they are very inconsistent. You get impressive rides like Hagrid's and Forbidden journey and then you get turds like King Kong and Fast and Furious (at Orlando. They are perfectly fine parts of the Studio Tour, but awful standalone attractions)
All in all, we should not get shortchanged just because they didn't plan the refurb well or just because they wanted to avoid problems.
By the way, I still mourn BTTF. Simpsons is something that needs to go.
You’re STILL going on about “Disney does this, Disney does that!”??

You’re STILL going on about “Disney does this, Disney does that!”??
Disney is a company that usually knows what it's doing (theme park wise). They have the ocasional flop and they do have blind spots but in general it's the king of theme parks for a reason. Mainly the very high standards Walt left behind. I take them as an example of how things can and should be run at theme parks and I will still be going on about how Disney does things if I please, thank you very much