Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash (Construction Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. I weird part of me hopes it stays as a USH exclusive though. I'd love to have it in Orlando, but for you guys to finally have something of your own and something that would drive me to actually visit the park when i'm there would be cool.

This. Y'all have no major exclusives except the Studio Tour, and that's not nearly enough to get me to want to go over there when I have so much stuff in my backyard. At least Japan has Flying Dinosaur, Jaws, and Hollywood Dream (ironic).

Audiences haven't rejected sequels or reboots. They've rejected bad movies and rewarded quality. Aladdin is an easy movie to look towards when judging a movie that was rebooted and has been extremely successful. Toy Story 4 has been less successful than Disney wanted, but it's still doing big business. John Wick 3 has seen huge numbers for the small amount of money spent on the film. Far From Home has opened extremely strong and already over $500M WW.

It's movies like MIB: International, Dark Phoenix, SLoP2, Godzilla: KotM, Shaft, Child's Play, etc. All have had poor RT Scores and the movie going public probably got pretty picky after spending a lot of money to see Endgame multiple times. The public rewarded quality this summer and it's not often we can say that, so i'm actually proud to see this development.
Godzilla was quality and deserved more.

Harumf :ugh:

Audiences haven't rejected sequels or reboots. They've rejected bad movies and rewarded quality. Aladdin is an easy movie to look towards when judging a movie that was rebooted and has been extremely successful. Toy Story 4 has been less successful than Disney wanted, but it's still doing big business. John Wick 3 has seen huge numbers for the small amount of money spent on the film. Far From Home has opened extremely strong and already over $500M WW.

It's movies like MIB: International, Dark Phoenix, SLoP2, Godzilla: KotM, Shaft, Child's Play, etc. All have had poor RT Scores and the movie going public probably got pretty picky after spending a lot of money to see Endgame multiple times. The public rewarded quality this summer and it's not often we can say that, so i'm actually proud to see this development.

Sorry, my implication was meant to be exactly what you said. Sequels are not a guarantee and audiences have woken up to bad movies (of which SLOP was all kinds of mediocre).

Generally the formula is the 'total cost', 'including marketing', is in the range of'double to double and a half' the production cost, so that would work out to about 160 low end -200 million high end total

Indeed, that's why I mentioned Illumination is the exception. The first movie had a total production of 75, but the Print and Ads Marketing budget was 140 on top of that. (The full balance sheet is available on Deadline from their 2016 most valuable blockbuster tournament).

The formula for Illumination seems to be they spend 200% more on Marketing, with the caveat that production is actually very cheap and marketing is in line with what a studio like Pixar spends (Pixar just spends a heck of a lot more on the movie itself).

Aka the 'total cost' actually hews closer to 3x as much.

Last edited:
Generally the formula is the 'total cost', 'including marketing', is in the range of'double to double and a half' the production cost, so that would work out to about 160 low end -200 million high end total

The reason why studios need the entirety of production and marketing costs to be near tripled is because they don't see the entire box office revenue, including WW. Theaters and foreign distribution take a chunk of the change.

The reason why studios need the entirety of production and marketing costs to be near tripled is because they don't see the entire box office revenue, including WW. Theaters and foreign distribution take a chunk of the change.
not sure if this has been asked or said before, but since the second film was less watched than the first, could the plot of the ride be based more on the first film, or an entirely new story?

not sure if this has been asked or said before, but since the second film was less watched than the first, could the plot of the ride be based more on the first film, or an entirely new story?
Based on the brief description I’ve heard, it sounds mostly based on
the ending of Toy Story 4, where Woody, Bo, and Co. Find Lost Toys and Carnival Toys forever homes, just like this ride helps pets find... forever homes

Based on the brief description I’ve heard, it sounds mostly based on
the ending of Toy Story 4, where Woody, Bo, and Co. Find Lost Toys and Carnival Toys forever homes, just like this ride helps pets find... forever homes
Or they find them FURRever homes. I just hope they do the adopt a pet type of store like Build a Bear. Heck I would get 2 of them, also, be nice if Uni decided to donate 10% of all those Adopt a Furr ever friend to Animal charities, that would probably even make good attention for Uni and the parks.

I'm sure the ride will do fine...just sucks we couldn't get a ride based off a loved character who has be liked for over 30 years (Yoshi) over a one hit wonder that was a rip off of Toy Story but without the heart, strong writing or ground breaking animation.

But will I enjoy the first Dark ride we've gotten since ET....I'm sure I will since I love Dark rides

I'm sure the ride will do fine...just sucks we couldn't get a ride based off a loved character who has be liked for over 30 years (Yoshi) over a one hit wonder that was a rip off of Toy Story but without the heart, strong writing or ground breaking animation.

But will I enjoy the first Dark ride we've gotten since ET....I'm sure I will since I love Dark rides
Forbidden Journey is a Dark Ride

I would argue Jurassic Park shortly after ET (and JW today), counts as a Dark Ride as-well.

To speak on the behalf, when in the first version was being shown; it was being treated with a lot of care. Even if it's not as big of an IP as Despicable Me now, I would still think Universal is taking SLoP very seriously from the Hollywood UC team.

Slow moving dark ride I guess, a more traditional one I think is what they meant. Im excited for this one big time and as Nick said Id love this in Orlando but this would potentially make me want to visit Hollywood for this ride. Ill be honest I haven't found anyone to go see the 2nd movie with me (and don't wanna be a 22 yr dude alone watching, just a bad look I feel for a kids movie) but I do enjoy this franchise quite a bit. Really excited for this attraction.

Forbidden Journey is a Dark Ride
I mean it is a ride...that is dark.

But I mean more traditional using bright colors that glow. Also hoping to god its more Physical sets than screens
Potter feels about 50/50 and as for someone saying Transformers then is Kong? I don't know I'd hope we'd have a new term from these rides that use screen tech over physical sets

This. Y'all have no major exclusives except the Studio Tour, and that's not nearly enough to get me to want to go over there when I have so much stuff in my backyard. At least Japan has Flying Dinosaur, Jaws, and Hollywood Dream (ironic).
As an Orlando resident myself, I kind of agree with this.

But, I do wonder how much Universal executives are taking this idea of exclusivity into consideration. When they see a chance to build a ride for quick and cheap by duplicating it, then why not?

They would have to consider how many people are going to travel to both Hollywood and Orlando, and how many tickets they're losing by having both sides share all of the same rides (essentially this is cannibalization). Universal seems to have made this calculation and ended up with "we don't care".

It is already neat that Hollywood has timed exclusives. Hollywood gets Transformers first, Kong/F&F experiences first, JW refurb first (assuming it may be duplicated), Mario Kart before Orlando... Mario alone is enough that I'm considering a trip to CA so I don't have to wait two more years.

(DreamWorks Theater and Walking Dead should also not be completely dismissed, despite these not being e ticket.)

I mean it is a ride...that is dark.

But I mean more traditional using bright colors that glow. Also hoping to god its more Physical sets than screens
Potter feels about 50/50 and as for someone saying Transformers then is Kong? I don't know I'd hope we'd have a new term from these rides that use screen tech over physical sets

I feel like I'm going to be biting the wrong end of this statement..but Transformers is much more of an attraction that physically moves you from set-piece to set-piece; along with the use of motion platforms, elevators, and wind/heat/air effects; along with physical locations inter-placed in-between the screen based visuals.

Kong 360 is a tech demo compared to the Hollywood Supercharged (and why I don't place either one of those two as dark rides, is because they exist alongside the Studio Tour).

__

Back to Pets, as I didn't see this get posted..

From RyanTheme Park,

I feel like I'm going to be biting the wrong end of this statement..but Transformers is much more of an attraction that physically moves you from set-piece to set-piece; along with the use of motion platforms, elevators, and wind/heat/air effects; along with physical locations inter-placed in-between the screen based visuals.

Kong 360 is a tech demo compared to the Hollywood Supercharged (and why I don't place either one of those two as dark rides, is because they exist alongside the Studio Tour).

__

Back to Pets, as I didn't see this get posted..

From RyanTheme Park,

I do want to be clear, I like Transformers and not trying to crap on it...but the ride is mainly about screens yes they have some nice set's that dress up the area but no one is looking at those its the Robots on Screen.

The ride shares similarities to a dark ride but not sure If I'd or even Universal Considers it one. From what I see online I'd call it more a Motion Simulator/4D Ride.

Secret Life of pets is from rumors going to be a Dark Ride with screens but even Universal is calling it a Dark Ride...where I'll look but don't think they ever called Transformers or even Potter as Dark Rides.

EDIT: Im going to eat Crow and say its a Dark ride because most people online think it is...to me it doesn't feel like what I'm looking for in a dark ride and hope pets feels more like a classic Dark Ride like ET

Last edited:
Physical Sets>Screens/Motion Simulators

I hope SLoP is not yet another motion simulator.

I am an AP holder at USH, but I can't do motion simulators well. Minions and Harry Potter are out, Transformers/Simpsons is marginal, but I can usually handle those. Oddly I never got sick on any roller coaster ever and still don't. If SLoP is good I am keeping AP going for at least another year.

Physical Sets>Screens/Motion Simulators

I hope SLoP is not yet another motion simulator.

I am an AP holder at USH, but I can't do motion simulators well. Minions and Harry Potter are out, Transformers/Simpsons is marginal, but I can usually handle those. Oddly I never got sick on any roller coaster ever and still don't. If SLoP is good I am keeping AP going for at least another year.
They do have pills if you get motion sickness. You are really missing out if you haven't been on Harry Potter's E ticket
Though SLOP should be a ride for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.