Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 410 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm really looking forward to it. The movie looks and feels like it takes place in an HHN maze. I also think a sprung tent is the perfect spot for it, it should really integrate the claustrophobia of the Firefly household really well!
Yes it does, and I can't wait to walk thru the hall with all the skeletons before the Dr. Satan room. I bet, well probably be some actors that look like Mrs. Firefly & Baby" and hopefully Merman. This is gonna be "hopefully' a high level and creepy house.

I guess to me they seem to be moving away from Icons so I kinda figured they may not do anything like those zones anymore. I could be wrong and I hope I am wrong.

From what I heard, that's more of a decision from marketing than creative.

Reactions: Darko
As much as I want there to be more icons at the event, I feel the higher ups are just going to continue to lean on Jack, which is cool, Jack is a great icon but there are other icons that definitely more due to the event, especially icons like The Usher and Caretaker which both have stellar years as well, Jack isn't the only one.

I hope we get really cool merch designs for House of 1000 Corpses, really envyed Hollywood's shirts, loved to see it have some shirts sold and a poster. :)

I guess these days they have Mascots more than Icons. Bones from 27 and maybe Chucky for 28. Voodoo Queen from 24, so on and so forth. I really believe Icons will be exclusive to anniversary years from here on out.

Reactions: Pedro Navarro
I guess these days they have Mascots more than Icons. Bones from 27 and maybe Chucky for 28. Voodoo Queen from 24, so on and so forth. I really believe Icons will be exclusive to anniversary years from here on out.

I'd wouldn't even give Chucky and the Voodoo Queen that much credit honestly. Bones...maybe. His face was basically on everything even if he wasn't an "icon".

I'm new here, so I'm not very in the know, but on the topic of icons; What's the stance on the supposed Usher return? I don't know if it was just me, but I think there was a hint in Carnival Graveyard in the form of a ticket booth? It's on the wiki, and I recall seeing a tweet about it, but I can't find it.

I'm new here, so I'm not very in the know, but on the topic of icons; What's the stance on the supposed Usher return? I don't know if it was just me, but I think there was a hint in Carnival Graveyard in the form of a ticket booth? It's on the wiki, and I recall seeing a tweet about it, but I can't find it.
That was a prop that already had the message on it. It wasn't intended.

No clue what that was all about honestly. If it was about anything, it certainly didn't come to be.

The "theme" is already unveiled, this pseudo-80's approach.

I'd wouldn't even give Chucky and the Voodoo Queen that much credit honestly. Bones...maybe. His face was basically on everything even if he wasn't an "icon".
Eh, at least Chucky had a stage show of some kind. Even the Voodoo Queen had a stage show for like a week. Bones just kinda...wandered around. The marketing team seem a bit...weird.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
Eh, at least Chucky had a stage show of some kind. Even the Voodoo Queen had a stage show for like a week. Bones just kinda...wondered around. The marketing team seem a bit...weird.

But they weren't really on any marketing is the thing. I think that matters more than in-park presence from a "promotional mascot" standpoint. While Bones never even was mentioned name-wise, his "image" was on the aesthetic.

Reactions: truejonas
But they weren't really on any marketing is the thing. I think that matters more than in-park presence from a "promotional mascot" standpoint. While Bones never even was mentioned name-wise, his "image" was on the aesthetic.
Because a skull has nothing to do with horror outside of a character?

That's why I said the marketing team is weird. Voodoo Queen and Chucky had more prescence so why not market them instead of Bones who was just...there. I don't know I am not a marketing expert.

Reactions: ChaseTuff
This could be a topic in and of itself honestly. The whole Icons vs Mascots and marketing IPs over Icons and so on and so forth. Personally I think the argument that Icons don't work in the current zeitgeist is a bit...baseless. My sister is 18, like turned 18 this year. She is selfie and emoji obsessed and loves horror movies. Her friends are the same as her, they are the face of the current generation. They love the Icons and ask me every year when they are coming back. Every...single...year. They act like I can bring 'em back. They loved taking selfies with the Icons at 25 and Chance for 26, but seemed to not be able to care less about Bones.

Point is, Icons work just as well in the current zeitgeist. Horror Icons in general keep happening. How many young people know Annabelle, the Lipstick Demon, and hell many still know Freddy and Jason.

I understand people make the argument about the "current zeitgeist" but I know enough from my sister and her friends, the Icons are still relevant. Sounds less like a zeitgeist problem and more of a marketing team problem.

This could be a topic in and of itself honestly. The whole Icons vs Mascots and marketing IPs over Icons and so on and so forth. Personally I think the argument that Icons don't work in the current zeitgeist is a bit...baseless. My sister is 18, like turned 18 this year. She is selfie and emoji obsessed and loves horror movies. Her friends are the same as her, they are the face of the current generation. They love the Icons and ask me every year when they are coming back. Every...single...year. They act like I can bring 'em back. They loved taking selfies with the Icons at 25 and Chance for 26, but seemed to not be able to care less about Bones.

Point is, Icons work just as well in the current zeitgeist. Horror Icons in general keep happening. How many young people know Annabelle, the Lipstick Demon, and hell many still know Freddy and Jason.

I understand people make the argument about the "current zeitgeist" but I know enough from my sister and her friends, the Icons are still relevant. Sounds less like a zeitgeist problem and more of a marketing team problem.

I think the thing is Icons could work, but I think they do want as much attention as possible on their shiny IP toys is the thing, because well, they gotta spend some cash to get those. I think the feeling at this point may be just that Icons may distract, because nine out of ten times, the big IP will bring in more people than the returning / new icon most likely.

I think the thing is Icons could work, but I think they do want as much attention as possible on their shiny IP toys is the thing, because well, they gotta spend some cash to get those. I think the feeling at this point may be just that Icons may distract, because nine out of ten times, the big IP will bring in more people than the returning / new icon most likely.
Didn't seem to hurt HHN25 when Jack and the IPs were over the marketing.

I get your point though. I just feel like they need to find that balance. I would take 2 years of Icons and 3 years off. But it is what it is. It has nothing to do with zeitgeist, it's marketing wanting an easier job and while Icons are quite liked, they are harder to market and nail down. IPs are just "here is Stranger Things" and bam your done.

Well back on topic, anyway. Still no word on that Surprise Zone being Hollywood or Orlando, eh? Guess this will be one of those we will find out during the event at some point things.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Didn't seem to hurt HHN25 when Jack and the IPs were over the marketing.

I get your point though. I just feel like they need to find that balance. I would take 2 years of Icons and 3 years off. But it is what it is. It has nothing to do with zeitgeist, it's marketing wanting an easier job and while Icons are quite liked, they are harder to market and nail down. IPs are just "here is Stranger Things" and bam your done.

Well back on topic, anyway. Still no word on that Surprise Zone being Hollywood or Orlando, eh? Guess this will be one of those we will find out during the event at some point things.

I think Anniversaries get exceptions because the idea of the anniversary can market itself to an extent and also it’s only fair to make things seem larger.

And funny you mention “2 on, 3 off” because that’s actually exactly what they’ve done unintentionally.

I think Anniversaries get exceptions because the idea of the anniversary can market itself to an extent and also it’s only fair to make things seem larger.

And funny you mention “2 on, 3 off” because that’s actually exactly what they’ve done unintentionally.
Hehe yeah the 2 on, 3 off was something I noticed and was like, well why not do what they are doing now, even if unintentionally? Feels like a good compromise.