Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland) | Page 90 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Could this quiet period be to do with the block out dates for locals with cheap annual passes?

Disney tie their own hands by offering these cheap passes then wanting those to pay with local passes to pay on top to see these new lands. They should do away with them, and offer one top tier pass.

They can't offer this cheap local pass, then get shocked when people with these cheap passes will only visit when those dates are not blacked out.

Last edited:
To go to the serious side, I don't think there's really much infighting between Disney & Universal adherents on this board. Most often people criticize what they believe are bad decisions, by both park systems, pretty equally. In fact , I would wager that most everyone on this site that likes Universal parks, also like and attends Disney parks. Criticisms are generally along the lines of over pricing, budget cuts, entertainment cuts, staff cuts, long lines, attractions not meeting expectations, and secondary treatment of visitor's needs by the respective park systems. Those are all legitimate concerns. From what I've read on this thread, it seems most of the positive and negative points concerning the GESWL expansion are mostly very fair representations of various posters thoughts and opinions.

This is the way I view Universal v Disney.

I treat Universal like a family member, it's ok for me and anybody on this board to talk smack about them but outside of this board, I will defend them to the hills. I hated Disney as a kid even though I went every summer, I felt like it was a place for little girls with all the princesses and I was a boy (Sexist by today's standards I admit) As I've got older, I've began to appreciate Disney more and as my wife and I visit a Disney park yearly, I've grown to love it more.

Having said that, as I'm now the one paying for my trips as adult, cost has begun to play a major role in how I think about the parks and theme parks at this level are turning into an expensive game.

As a comparison between the parks though, what's good for the parks is good for me. I welcome the competition.

Perhaps allowing long lines and queues would be good for publicity.

In essence trying to be too clever, and give users an experience has backfired also.
I have the theory that they overplayed their hand by raising prices and assuming anyone would pay any asking price.

I have the theory that they overplayed their hand by raising prices and assuming anyone would pay any asking price.

Don't have an issue with incrimentel price rises - AS LONG as there investment in new attractions.

The problem lies within they are giving away cheap annual passes to local people of Anaheim and Orlando. These cheap passes need to be stopped.

Don't have an issue with incrimentel price rises - AS LONG as there investment in new attractions.

The problem lies within they are giving away cheap annual passes to local people of Anaheim and Orlando. These cheap passes need to be stopped.

Why is that a problem?

Perhaps allowing long lines and queues would be good for publicity.

In essence trying to be too clever, and give users an experience has backfired also.

That's big problem rite there.

It's silly beyond belief to exclude major aspects of the original trilogy - that is still one of the most inconic set of movies of all times, with equally iconic characters.

Big problem? Not so much.

I thought that at first too. Then I went. I didn't think about it once while I was there. They did a great job at making the land feel like you are visiting a place in the Star Wars universe rather than seeing a greatest hits collection of all your favorite things. Some of the stores have references or in-universe merchandise relating to original trilogy characters which adds to the idea of "this is a real place" and is something I enjoy about the land.

WHy IsnT DarTH VaDER iN THe lAnD?

Is the same question as why isn’t Vader in the new movies. Disney made a choice to create a place in the current canon. It makes sense but they have also made it familiar: Falcon and R2D2 are there, legacy light sabers are sold you can build and R2 unit at droid depot. In fact if you told people the land was Tatooine most would probably believe it because it looks very similar.

WHy IsnT DarTH VaDER iN THe lAnD?

Is the same question as why isn’t Vader in the new movies. Disney made a choice to create a place in the current canon. It makes sense but they have also made it familiar: Falcon and R2D2 are there, legacy light sabers are sold you can build and R2 unit at droid depot. In fact if you told people the land was Tatooine most would probably believe it because it looks very similar.

This isn't a movie that needs a plot and a linear theme. It's theme park entertainment.

It would be akin to Universal making Harry Potter, but using only the characters from Fantatic Beasts.

Instead of trying to be clever - had the kept it simple, used aspects of the original trilogy, aspects of the new movies too - it would have been better for it.

This isn't a movie that needs a plot and a linear theme. It's theme park entertainment.

Possibly, but right now Lucasfilm wants everything that comes out in television, films, books and even theme parks to play a role in a larger story. Sometimes the lines get blurred a little bit and admittedly as someone who has read almost every Star Wars novel in the "new" canon, not everything is great but that is the time period we are in.

It would be akin to Universal making Harry Potter, but using only the characters from Fantatic Beasts.

Instead of trying to be clever - had the kept it simple, used aspects of the original trilogy, aspects of the new movies too - it would have been better for it.

There are aspects of every trilogy in this land. The architecture and feel of the area feels very original trilogy. There are new trilogy characters walking around, and droids from every era in cages and displays all over. There is even a podracing engine that is being used as a slow cooker.

Looking forward to doing this all over again when the land opens in WDW, too!

I'm kinda hoping for the ironic double standard argument where it's crowded beyond belief and the same people who say Disney botched the DL opening will also argue they botched DHS

Now that I've had some time to decompress from my weekend adventure, here's my more thorough thoughts of the land. (I'll be splitting this up into multiple posts due to the character limit.)

Right off the bat, I'll admit before I visited I was in the boat of being a little unsure with this being a original location over someplace familiar, and I honestly didn't know what to expect with Smuggler's Run with the varying reviews and people arguing on both if it's a E-ticket or not, and if it was intended to be a E-ticket or not.

Now having gone through the land, I'm totally fine with this being a original location. Not once did I ever think this should've been this planet or that planet, as I walked through the land it honestly looks and feels like something straight out of the SW universe.

Speaking of looks, the theming is top notch and it's crammed with tons of little details and a plethora of easter eggs. Even if Batuu isn't a place you're familiar with, you'll find many nods to all the various films amongst other things.

Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run

- Nice queue
- That Hondo AA is downright insane. My jaw was hanging for pretty much the whole preshow just watching Hondo move.
- The holding area in the MF is another cool moment, and the same goes for finally getting in the cockpit itself.

First ride I was right pilot and getting to both start up the falcon and jump to hyperspace just made any nerdy wish-lists come true right there. That ride ended up doing pretty good too with us nabbing multiple containers of coaxium. (However you spell that...) Being a pilot was a lot of fun, though that's what I was expecting. Though I can see how it can be really stressful for other folks, especially if you keep crashing into things.

Second and Third rides, I was a Engineer. Now for me, this was a true test of the ride itself since while we had a feeling the pilot's would be fun, it would be a not-so-good situation if the other roles weren't. Personally for me, I actually enjoyed the Engineer role! So from my experience you have two main tasks. Whenever certain buttons or switches light up, you gotta' hit them as fast as possible. (Also, accurately as well. You do end up taking damage if you're hitting the wrong buttons.) Another task is firing harpoons and mashing the heck out of that button at times. Now for my 2nd and 3rd rides, I had some really lousy pilot's (Including one fellow who was more focused on filming the ride instead of driving...at all.), so we crashed into everything...which in turn kept me and the other engineer very busy!

Now my initial fear with the Engineer role was it would be as interactive as Mission: Space's "Press the button to pretend like you did the thing!", thankfully it's not. I found it really engaging and a lot of fun. Also, something that made me very happy was that whenever the ship does take damage, there are physical effects of air blasts in the cockpit which added to the chaos.

Overall, I actually liked Smugglers Run a lot more than I thought I would. Now that said, this ride is a major wild card. Your enjoyment may vary depending on what role you have -and- who you're with. It's certainly a bold choice for them to go in this crazy interactive route, but I gotta' applaud them for giving it a shot. It's a unique supporting attraction for sure.

- In my next post, I'll go into Oga's Cantina, Ronto's Roasters and a thing or two on soundtracks and soundscapes.-

Nah, when WDW opens, the insane crowds will be the story. Folks will see why WDW has been fairly neglected for almost 20 years. At a park depending on locals and more experienced tourists, Batuu fails.

In Orlando, with the masses kidnapped at the airport daily, and all the crazies saying the are "home" when they check in to their sprawling ASSports room, with 3 rides a day guaranteed, including lots of fabulous C tickets, and they just LOVE how simple it is to ride busses all over for a week, paying $4 a bottle for any drink. Those folks will MOB the Studios, making it miserable for the rest of the year. Showing how ANYTHING new will be mobbed.

Heck, many will say SR is the best ride Disney has ever done, well, maybe except for Flight of Passage. THat incredible 4 minute long movie where your seats actually move!!!!

Damning - it's what most people are saying. ie, it's nice, but feels dead, and not Star Wars.

Define “most people”.
How does flying the millennium falcon not feel like Star Wars?

Oh Christ just watched the video...it literally looked like they had the time of their life and then he said the land felt dead because there wasn’t music? He even admitted to enjoying the falcon ride and “having fun”.

There was nothing “damning” about that take from another useless blogger other than “maybe wait until the second ride is open” which I could have told you without asking Hilton to buy
Me Mickey waffles in bed.

God I hate the internet sometimes.

Last edited:
I really feel it will be night and day with WDW....Not in terms of product, but in terms of reaction

Oh Christ just watched the video...it literally looked like they had the time of their life and then he said the land felt dead because there wasn’t music? He even admitted to enjoying the falcon ride and “having fun”.
Two things can be true at once

I really feel it will be night and day with WDW....Not in terms of product, but in terms of reaction

Two things can be true at once

The only truth was the guy came off as a total douche. Sorry for the harsh language. It’s late and I’m on vacation.

-Continued from my previous post-

Oga's Cantina
It's no surprise that any cantina in the SW universe is gonna' be the hottest ticket in town, Oga's is no expectation. Thankfully the reservation process was a breeze, and shortly after I checked in I was led inside. This place is really cool, I love all the details at the bar of the various containers leading to the various spigots, and whole place has that mysterious yet hopping vibe. Adding to that is the music which is really good, having DJ R-3X was a cute touch, and I got a kick out of his more "glitchy/malfunction" moments which turns into a fun little mini show.

Now then, what I believe most of us are coming for, the drinks. Since I'm more of a light drinker, I just stuck with one drink per visit, so the two I had over the weekend was the Bespin Fizz, and the Fuzzy Tauntaun. For me, both of them are downright winners in both taste and presentation. The B.F. is constantly bubbling and smoking, which get's a lot of "Oooh, which one is -that-?" from other patrons. (The same glass/dry ice effect is used for the non-alcoholic Carbon Freeze, where the bubbles are constantly tossing around the boba pearls in the drink for another sweet visual.)

As for the Fuzzy Tauntaun, it's another tasty drink that gives you quite the sensation with the "Buzzz Foam" on top. It numbs and tingles your lips something fierce, and it lingers for a while, too. It's weird in the best way possible! An besides the drinks, I also tried Oga's Obsession which is a nice little snack in the form flavored jello with boba pearls and pop rocks, a nice mix of textures and it tasted good, too. All in all the things I tried here were appropriately alien. An while I thought I'd only go here once, I ended up going twice!

Though it has to be said, this Cantina is small. It needs a expansion, and I wish all the cast members in WDW best of luck, since the bar's size will be even more apparent over there.

Ronto Roasters

Loved the setting of this QS, and both the Morning and regular Ronto wraps were quite good. The peppercorn sauce has a nice lil kick to it, and all in all they're both satisfying snacks.

Shops
While I didn't buy anything on this trip, it was neat checking out all the various stands in the marketplace, the Droid Depot was really cool to see in person (If I wasn't limited on bag space, I would've jumped in on this!), and Dok-Ondar's is a standout when it comes to the shops. There's a ton of references and easter eggs in that shop, and I noticed if people weren't shopping, they're eyes were glued to all the sweet stuff on the walls in that shop.

Soundtrack and Soundscape
So regarding this topic, I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with both sides...at the same time. I can fully understand they're going for more of a realistic route, so inside the land itself you're not hearing a John Williams score booming through the speakers 24/7. When you're in the Black Spire Outpost, you're hearing space ships take off and land, fly overhead (a pretty neat effect to be honest), the hissing of steam and the rumble of the Pod racer engine at Ronto's etc. An when you're more in the forest where the Resistance is set up, you're hearing the various wild life, the electric thrum of a generator, and perhaps the occasional AT-AT in the distance. For me, it actually worked pretty nicely.

But whenever I enter or exit the land, I hear the mysterious and relaxing custom score from John Williams which is very akin to IOA's Lost Continent, especially nearby Poseidon's Fury...and then I'm thinking why don't we hear more of that in the land?! It's kinda' funny they advertised him making a custom score for the land, and it's pretty much a musical barrier separating Batuu from Disneyland.
Characters
Now for the time being, a unique strength of the land is actually the various characters you can come across. Rey, Chewie, Vi, Stormtroopers and First Order officials. Seeing them roam around and do their thing added to the atmosphere of the land. Be it Vi sneaking around, climbing around stuff and getting intel from guests, or Rey strolling through the forest and engaging with guests. Then there's the stormtroopers who gave me my "A-ha!" moment for the land. I was over at Ronto Roaster's having a wrap, when out of nowhere the stormtroopers passed by and started engaging guests on where their allegiance was. It kinda' threw me off guard, but in a good way. It made the land feel more alive, and in ways some other themed lands can't do. I honestly do hope the other planned entertainment does come to fruition since I think that'll help it even more.

Of course I started that with "for the time being", since with the not as insanely busy crowds, of course it's easy for all the characters to really roam and interact with everyone. Will it be the same when it does get busy? I honestly don't know, but I hope they're able to keep this going since there's some nice potential here!
------
So all in all, Batuu is a pretty nice land. I did have some doubts before I visited, but afterwards those doubts were thankfully proven wrong. I look forward to returning sometime and seeing how this progresses, and if Rise of the Resistance turns out to be the solid anchor attraction for the land, I'd say they'll be fine.
Besides, anything that backs up a return to Disneyland is plenty good in my book!