Waits and Uptime Reports - Hagrid’s Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Waits and Uptime Reports - Hagrid’s Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just got off after the weather delay. 7 trains were running after coming back up. Ride is currently closed due to capacity but the queue is cleared and empty trains are cycling. They are saying that they pushed the extended maintenance to the night time so they can open on time for the morning guests.

Maybe this belongs in the other thread, but for those that like nerd posts, I'm 99% sure I've figured out the whole timing situation.

First, the ride is 3 minutes (180 seconds) from accelerating around the corner to hitting the beginning of unload, that doesn't change. What does change is the belt speed: there are 36 "blocks" as I'll call them, where each block is the length of one car, and the timing for those can be altered. This includes 10 blocks at unload, 6 on the curve to load, 14 at load, and 6 on the curve out (the train starts accelerating as soon as the front of the 7th car hits). During media/team member previews the belt speed was 5 seconds, opening thru the first few weeks was 4 seconds, and now is at approx. 3.5 seconds (looking at POV's).

So the formula for calculating total time is 180+36*belt speed, in this case 180+(36*3.5) = 306 seconds.

7 trains are running back to back with about 15 seconds in between of them. But there is a large 45 second gap in between of those 7 if that makes sense.

So as each train is 7 blocks, and I'm gonna assume it was 4 blocks between each train (3.5*4= 14 seconds), you had 6 11 block cycles and then the 7th train. (66+7)*3.5 = 256 seconds, plus your approximate 45 second gap, which I'm gonna assume was actually 50 seconds, and you get to 306 seconds. Capacity was 1150 pph. (3600/306 *7 trains*14 people)

At absolute max capacity, the 12 trains are running at 3 seconds per block with only one block between them, so 8 blocks per train. 36*3+180= 288 seconds. 8 blocks*3 seconds*12 trains = 288 seconds. Capacity would be 2100 pph.

If anyone thinks any of this is wrong lmk.

Too much math lol. But I’m glad someone here other then me, took the time to figure it out. Honestly with the 7 trains running the line was chugging along. The 46 minute wait was not bad at all. That was without any delays I believe. Hard to tell when your inside. If they could get 8-9 on there I think that would be the best scenario. I would not shoot for 12.

By doing that rather than keeping them evenly spaced, they can essentially test a higher train count. They can test everything with rapid fire dispatches, and if something gets backed up, they have the 45 second gap to catch back up. Where if they had 2 more trains on, it would cause a stop somewhere.

I love this theory and it makes so much sense from a programming point of view. It is a kind of very acceptable B mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: fryoj
It has literally been raining all day

Went to the park on Tuesday and talked to the TM’s while the ride was down for 2 hours at park open. They’re trying to have 7 trains on the tracks at once, but 2 of the trains are having issues with sensors and safety restraints so they have to keep switching them on and off the tracks. They’re working intermittently. The goal is to eventually get to 12. Opening day they only had 3 operational.

Also, the computer and sensors for the backwards launch brakes got fried and they had to take an emergency trip to Switzerland and get new ones From Intamin.

They also plan to start opening with the park and closing around 5:00PM or so now so they can give tech some day light as well as all night to work on the attraction.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, new guy here. Thanks for all the great tips and info on the boards.

Been tracking this ahead of my going in August for a few days. It appears that the wait times for people are definitely less than whatever is posted as long as the ride doesn't go down. I was wondering if people wanted to use an easy to reference format if they have been on the ride so people can start tracking actual waits. Something like

Single Rider or Regular line:
Posted wait time:
Actual wait time:
Did ride go down while in line (Y/N?, # of delays):

Thoughts?

Went to the park on Tuesday and talked to the TM’s while the ride was down for 2 hours at park open. They’re trying to have 7 trains on the tracks at once, but 2 of the trains are having issues with sensors and safety restraints so they have to keep switching them on and off the tracks. They’re working intermittently. The goal is to eventually get to 12. Opening day they only had 3 operational.

Also, the computer and sensors for the backwards launch brakes got fried and they had to take an emergency trip to Switzerland and get new ones From Intamin.

They also plan to start opening with the park and closing around 5:00PM or so now so they can give tech some day light as well as all night to work on the attraction.
Did they happen to say how long they are going to be closing at 5 for? Or is this going to be for quite sometime do we think?

Also I'd imagine the plans are very fluid right now. They will probably continue to alter their approach based on the performance and response.

There were rumors of the launches overheating.

The weather is not going to do them any favors the next couple of week...It was really rainy the week it opened, and then really really hot, and now it's going to super rainy again

Reactions: tankart150
Did they happen to say how long they are going to be closing at 5 for? Or is this going to be for quite sometime do we think?

It will depend on crowds/weather/ride performance. But that can all change on a dime. If the line is around 2 hours or more by 5:00PM they will attempt to close for capacity. That’s all I was told. Like JungleSkip said, we just have to take it all with a grain of salt. :thumbsup:

Maybe this belongs in the other thread, but for those that like nerd posts, I'm 99% sure I've figured out the whole timing situation.

First, the ride is 3 minutes (180 seconds) from accelerating around the corner to hitting the beginning of unload, that doesn't change. What does change is the belt speed: there are 36 "blocks" as I'll call them, where each block is the length of one car, and the timing for those can be altered. This includes 10 blocks at unload, 6 on the curve to load, 14 at load, and 6 on the curve out (the train starts accelerating as soon as the front of the 7th car hits). During media/team member previews the belt speed was 5 seconds, opening thru the first few weeks was 4 seconds, and now is at approx. 3.5 seconds (looking at POV's).

So the formula for calculating total time is 180+36*belt speed, in this case 180+(36*3.5) = 306 seconds.

So as each train is 7 blocks, and I'm gonna assume it was 4 blocks between each train (3.5*4= 14 seconds), you had 6 11 block cycles and then the 7th train. (66+7)*3.5 = 256 seconds, plus your approximate 45 second gap, which I'm gonna assume was actually 50 seconds, and you get to 306 seconds. Capacity was 1150 pph. (3600/306 *7 trains*14 people)

At absolute max capacity, the 12 trains are running at 3 seconds per block with only one block between them, so 8 blocks per train. 36*3+180= 288 seconds. 8 blocks*3 seconds*12 trains = 288 seconds. Capacity would be 2100 pph.

If anyone thinks any of this is wrong lmk.

I like the intense calculations. But I was able to come up with a similar "theoretical capacity" with some some simpler calculations.

It all comes down to how often you can launch trains on average:

If you can launch a train on average every 25 seconds, the calculation becomes fairly simple. train every 25 seconds = 144 trains/hour. 14 seats to a train = 2016 pph

At an average of say 22 seconds per train launch, that becomes ~163 trains per hour which then equals 2282 pph

Reactions: Coasted
I like the intense calculations. But I was able to come up with a similar "theoretical capacity" with some some simpler calculations.

Unless they are running 9 trains at 36 second dispatches, 10 at 30, or 12 at 24 (24 seconds is the quickest time they could have), you're gonna have a situation where there will be a bigger gap between at least one pair of trains than the others. It's close, for example in your 25 second scenario I'd get the hourly to be 1925, because you can only run 11 trains, but I'm a nerd and trying to get exact here lol (and in a perfect world where the ride never breaks down).
(36*3+180= 288, 288/25 = 11.52 which you can't round up. 3600/288 * 11 trains *14 persons = 1925 pph)

I love this theory and it makes so much sense from a programming point of view. It is a kind of very acceptable B mode.

I have to disagree because the belt is all connected. If the 7th train stops at the end of load, and there is a huge gap before the 1st train, the 1st train will either stop wherever it is on the belt, or stop right when it gets to the belt, it can't move up closer to the 7th train to close the space. You could fit 7 trains on the belts and the break run if spaced close together, but now you have a big block of empty space and can't. Let me be clear, there's no good solution to this the way they have it working, unless they allow the trains to move independently of each other in the belt section. Even HRRR still has issues with having to stop the belt at times, so I'm not sure this issue is going to disappear.

Unless they are running 9 trains at 36 second dispatches, 10 at 30, or 12 at 24 (24 seconds is the quickest time they could have), you're gonna have a situation where there will be a bigger gap between at least one pair of trains than the others. It's close, for example in your 25 second scenario I'd get the hourly to be 1925, because you can only run 11 trains, but I'm a nerd and trying to get exact here lol (and in a perfect world where the ride never breaks down).
(36*3+180= 288, 288/25 = 11.52 which you can't round up. 3600/288 * 11 trains *14 persons = 1925 pph)

I have to disagree because the belt is all connected. If the 7th train stops at the end of load, and there is a huge gap before the 1st train, the 1st train will either stop wherever it is on the belt, or stop right when it gets to the belt, it can't move up closer to the 7th train to close the space. You could fit 7 trains on the belts and the break run if spaced close together, but now you have a big block of empty space and can't. Let me be clear, there's no good solution to this the way they have it working, unless they allow the trains to move independently of each other in the belt section. Even HRRR still has issues with having to stop the belt at times, so I'm not sure this issue is going to disappear.
That's why I feel 12 is crazy talk without the ride being interrupted and therefore ruined

Reactions: SailwiththeTide
While the belt and the cars are set to synchronize, I am positive they can make the trains run faster or slower than the belt if need be.

Reactions: Teebin
Thinking about a trip the weekend after Labor Day. Do we think Hagrid will be operating normally with reasonable waits by then?

Right now it seems to be hit or miss depending on the day.