Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 412 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Is that not what they're doing now?

An event including an icon, IPs, an overall theme, and original content? Not this year, or the previous two years. Next year the theme will be 30 Years of Fear and will likely include Jack as the icon again.

An event including an icon, IPs, an overall theme, and original content? Not this year, or the previous two years. Next year the theme will be 30 Years of Fear and will likely include Jack as the icon again.
Speaking of - Howl-O-Scream's tagline for this year is ingenious. I wonder if they'll have a set piece consisting of two giant linked Xs that shoot flames from the top?

As far as my opinion regarding Icons and HHN, I think my avatar speaks for itself.

I think there's something to Jack being around for two years originally....And you can't deny that people are also very very afraid of clowns, 12 percent of adults in the United States don't even like to see a picture of one. In a survey done by Chapman University, 42 percent of 1,511 people were more afraid of clowns than a terrorist attack haha.

So I'm not surprised that Jack took off.

There's undeniably something, pardon the term, iconic about an evil clown. Jack frightens us on a subconscious level in a way that a Eurotrash snuff film director or a succubus-turned-Vegas-hooker never could.

I mean, you're missing an icon, sure, but they're certainly still providing original content, and last year did have an overall feeling.

And no, icons are not necessary for the event to be successful anymore.

Reactions: Kadath
Unfortunately none of the other icons really have that rock star flair that jack has. Even jack didn’t have it initially, but he’s really become a terrific anchor for the event. The others are good characters in their own way but they just aren’t great “hosts”. I’m sure they could eventually create another character as iconic in time, but many people and properties spend decades trying to create iconic characters a la Freddy - Jason- Michael Myers.

One thing that is interesting is that the other icons are kind of like the elementals of HHN while jack is the embodiment of mischievousness/darkness/fun that covers the feeling of the event. Caretaker is death, Story Teller..tells stories (which is the most important element), Usher is perhaps a good link for IPs and film, Bloody Mary even twisting common themes in to horror. They’re not all perfect fits but I like the idea that they all kind of can show up every 5-10 years like an army from hell haha.

Idk another slow work day here.

And no, icons are not necessary for the event to be successful anymore.

They were never necessary. Universal could have always marketed their own IP houses to draw in crowds, which is what happened at the beginning of HHN’s existence.

Last year would have greatly benefited from an official theme and icon. An icon could have provided a second show for the event, which was badly needed. Plus, the icon would have defined and justified the theme - why is everything 80s themed?

Not really HHN repeated but Haunt repeated

Since HHN isn’t announcing anything today and looks like no icon this year, HOS is announcing there icons today

Last year would have greatly benefited from an official theme and icon. An icon could have provided a second show for the event, which was badly needed. Plus, the icon would have defined and justified the theme - why is everything 80s themed?
So you're saying last year was weaker because it didn't have a theme and icon?

So you're saying last year was weaker because it didn't have a theme and icon?

Nope, I never said that. Last year was great because of the quality of the houses. An icon and defined theme would have enhanced the experience IMO. A second show involving an icon would have helped with the foot traffic of crowds.

Think of it this way: does Diagon Alley need a dragon on top of Gringotts? No. But does it enhance the atmosphere and theming? Hell yeah it does!

One thing that is interesting is that the other icons are kind of like the elementals of HHN while jack is the embodiment of mischievousness/darkness/fun that covers the feeling of the event. Caretaker is death, Story Teller..tells stories (which is the most important element), Usher is perhaps a good link for IPs and film, Bloody Mary even twisting common themes in to horror. They’re not all perfect fits but I like the idea that they all kind of can show up every 5-10 years like an army from hell haha.
That's basically the concept behind Fear and the icons at HHN XX.
They *should* have leveraged the original Eddie backstory from 2001, of a trailer-trash, horror-fan taking over. It would have fit the 80s concept to a T.

That's basically the concept behind Fear and the icons at HHN XX.

They *should* have leveraged the original Eddie backstory from 2001, of a trailer-trash, horror-fan taking over. It would have fit the 80s concept to a T.
Haha I remember thinking Eddie would have been perfect last year with the 80s motif as well.

Slight derail - my brain stopped working for a moment and started wondering why the hip hop artist Usher was doing HHN houses.

Totally the wrong Usher.
I mean, could you imagine a hip hop artist doing haunted houses? all the scareactors would like dance toward you instead of jumping out at you...eh on second thought, that sounds way more frightening so maybe not.

Reactions: truejonas