Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Mulan (2020)

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Mulan is set to be released on November 2, 2018. Directed by Niki Caro.

Caro is maybe best known as the director of films like Whale Rider, McFarland, USA, and the upcoming The Zookeeper’s Wife. In an interview with the folks over at Moviefone, Caro described her approach to adapting Mulan into live-action, and said that this time, there would be no songs. “From what I understand, no songs right now, much to the horror of my children” she said. She also described the film as “a big, girly martial arts epic. It will be extremely muscular and thrilling and entertaining and moving.”

How do you feel about a non-musical Mulan? Does this have you more excited for it, or less? Let us know your thoughts down below in the comments.

Director Confirms No Songs in Disney’s Live-Action MULAN | Nerdist

I mean, I'm excited to know they won't ruin the songs but I'm not quite as enthused now. Half of the animated film was the music...
EDIT: I have to add that I understand the story stood on its own merit for years but the Disney version will always be the animated for me.

I'd be totally fine with this Mulan not being a musical, for that's a easy way to make sure it's going to be it's own film and not a copy of the animated film.

However there's a catch to that piece of news, for it's "No songs right now" or "As of now there's no songs". Until we get firm answer that there's no songs period, there's still a chance they can be forced to add songs into it. Since it pains me to say that the bigwigs can just look at the money BatB is making and think that's what they need to do instead.

I'd be totally fine with this Mulan not being a musical, for that's a easy way to make sure it's going to be it's own film and not a copy of the animated film.

However there's a catch to that piece of news, for it's "No songs right now" or "As of now there's no songs". Until we get firm answer that there's no songs period, there's still a chance they can be forced to add songs into it. Since it pains me to say that the bigwigs can just look at the money BatB is making and think that's what they need to do instead.
Compared to BATB and Aladdin (which will be a musical) and newer Disney musicals, there was very little memorable music in Mulan. "I'll Make a Man Out Of You" was the only big song and to me, it's fairly meh.

They're better off keeping this at a non-musical, which will provide a bit more unique of a take on the story.

First image of Liu Yifei as Mulan. Production began this week.

https://i.redd.it/bhiyp37wwvf11.jpg

I actually have a buddy working on this film. He said they seem to be basing it more on the actual Chinese story of Mulan than the Disney cartoon. It's supposed to have some huge and intricate fight scenes apparently.

Edit: Also, the release date of this is now March 27th of 2020, so we should probably change the date in the title of this thread.

He said they seem to be basing it more on the actual Chinese story of Mulan than the Disney cartoon. It's supposed to have some huge and intricate fight scenes apparently.
That's the way I see it going. You don't hire Donnie Yen for a movie unless you want badass stunt sequences. This isn't going to be a musical like BATB was as far as I can tell. I really hope this film is deeply rooted in Chinese culture.

D-4q5EyUYAAUqvZ.jpg:large

Also to bring up..

Reports have come out, that they are testing the film not as a "Musical" (even though, the songs will be incorporated via instrumentally). And that Mushu, will be instead replaced more to the lines of a Phoenix (most likely IMO, to that of the Fenghuang).

Last edited:
I think Disney would be wise to sell this as more of an action-adventure (and perhaps they eventually will), but just purely on a visual level, it looks very strong. Some great imagery in there. There also seems to be extensive, real-world location shooting, which could definitely set this apart from recent Disney live action adaptations which have felt varying degrees of artificial (to me).

And I think ditching the musical aspect (if that's what they've done) was very smart.

There's a rumor making the rounds that reshoots may put the musical numbers back in. Hence why I'm not 100% convinced we're getting this movie sans songs.

I hope the songs stay out, however. I think Disney has an opportunity with MULAN to have a big hit on their hands if they've just made a proper adventure/war movie.

I also hope they'll feel confident enough to release with a PG-13 rating, though I doubt they will.

There's a rumor making the rounds that reshoots may put the musical numbers back in. Hence why I'm not 100% convinced we're getting this movie sans songs.

I hope the songs stay out, however. I think Disney has an opportunity with MULAN to have a big hit on their hands if they've just made a proper adventure/war movie.

I also hope they'll feel confident enough to release with a PG-13 rating, though I doubt they will.
I think it really needs to be without songs and be an epic Chinese war movie. China loves Chinese stories in their movies and with the box office being so damn large over there, i'm sure Disney wants to do whatever they need to to make sure that this thing is a huge hit there. I see this being a billion dollar movie.

A PG-13 cut would be nice, but it's very unlikely to happen. Parents start to be a little more cautious with younger ones once that rating goes up and Disney wants as wide of an appeal as possible.

There also seems to be extensive, real-world location shooting, which could definitely set this apart from recent Disney live action adaptations which have felt varying degrees of artificial (to me).

A small chunk of it was filmed in China but, for the most part, it was filmed in New Zealand.

Also, they just had their first test-audience screening for it. People were... a bit taken aback that the music wasn't in it. However, I think if they market it properly as a non-musical, they can help to alliviate some of that initial shock.

I think Disney really needs to figure out how to position these live action remakes.

1. It's either a retelling of a story we know and love (Aladdin, Dumbo, etc.)
2. It's showing a new story within the existing framework (Maleficient)

I'm down for a Chinese epic, but if you want people to go nostalgic for Mulan and no one is trying to make a man out of me, I'm gonna be underwhelmed no matter how good it is.

First of the 'remakes' I'm actually looking forward to because it seems to be something different (at the moment)

I enjoyed BatB, didn't enjoy Aladdin at all, think thats all I've seen so far

To me, this seems like they're taking what was learned from changing the story up with Cinderella and The Jungle Book, while trying to maintain and keep it in a way that's very much respectful for Chinese audiences.

I am in for this, TBH.