Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

The guy is an idiot (I don’t say that lightly) so I don’t think this is the reason.

I’ve been told it’s the vehicles moving during the elevator drop. There is no locking mechanism and the vehicles move during it, shutting the ride down. Tons of temp fixes haven’t worked.

From reading the other forums, info that has leaked and putting pieces together, this is what I think is the best guess to the problem.

The most obvious fact is that one of the vehicles got absolutely shredded. These vehicles aren't powerful enough to do that on their own, trackless rides just don't have that oomph. The elevator shaft is the only place it could have happened where it would cause a serious issue.

Weird if there was no elevator vehicle lock, you think that would be a requirement from the start.

The idea of trackless is great for simplifying maintenance requirements and wear on the ride system, but I agree for these indoor dark rides no one can see or care about the road we are on so who cares?

As far as the cement puck issue, these are usually just glorified RFID pucks. Install should be easy and permanent, the brains is on the vehicle.

There is usually a small robot called a 'mouse' that moves along the paths after installation to verify and inspect install quality.

If they really had to pull and replace cement that makes me think they scraped the initial vehicle positioning system all together....

Weird if there was no elevator vehicle lock, you think that would be a requirement from the start.

I don't understand that either. Tower of Terror was one of the first systems to have a trackless vehicle and they mastered the elevator lock straight out the door.

The idea of trackless is great for simplifying maintenance requirements and wear on the ride system, but I agree for these indoor dark rides no one can see or care about the road we are on so who cares?

I can understand the idea of trackless on smaller vehicles like Remy and whatever that Penguin ride is called at SeaWorld but on a big ride like Kong, what's the point?

There needs to be a good balance.

I don't understand that either. Tower of Terror was one of the first systems to have a trackless vehicle and they mastered the elevator lock straight out the door.

I can understand the idea of trackless on smaller vehicles like Remy and whatever that Penguin ride is called at SeaWorld but on a big ride like Kong, what's the point?

There needs to be a good balance.
On Kong its because it goes outside and having a track would give away the "driver" is a fake

Didn't they have the puck issue on Kong? Wireless didn't work, so they had to add pucks? They didn't have to rip all the concrete for that.

If the ride has to cross it's own path maybe?

Didn't they have the puck issue on Kong? Wireless didn't work, so they had to add pucks? They didn't have to rip all the concrete for that.

If the ride has to cross it's own path maybe?
Kong is still having issues, but they had to add more sensors at one point

Timing for Opening of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Announced | Disney Parks Blog

We’ve got some exciting news to share today with the galaxy. We’re opening Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Dec. 5 at Walt Disney World Resort. If this date sounds familiar, many of our fans will recognize it as Walt Disney’s birthday. What better way to honor the ultimate storyteller than by introducing the most immersive and advanced attraction ever imagined in a Disney Park.

rrs2094802394823423424fi.jpg

When it opens, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will blur the lines between fantasy and reality and will put guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance. Guests will be recruited to join Rey and General Organa at a secret base. Along the way, they will be captured by a First Order Star Destroyer. With the help of some heroes of the Resistance, they break out and must escape the Star Destroyer, protect the secret base, and stay one step ahead of Kylo Ren.

As soon as work is completed at Walt Disney World, Imagineers will head back to California to complete their mission at Disneyland Resortwhere Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will open on Friday, Jan. 17.

Between now and then, we’ll have lots more to share about this immersive, multi-platform experience so keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for updates.

Some stray thoughts:

Perhaps they decided it isn't worth getting Disneyland's up and running as fast due to AP block outs, lower attendance, and lower hotel bookings? Prioritizing the tourist heavy resort first, then hopefully that month head start means a smooth opening for Disneyland's version, so they won't **** off as many locals and AP's, as they'll have descended on the park by that time?

The guy is an idiot (I don’t say that lightly) so I don’t think this is the reason.

I’ve been told it’s the vehicles moving during the elevator drop. There is no locking mechanism and the vehicles move during it, shutting the ride down. Tons of temp fixes haven’t worked.

Hmmm, someone said long ago that locking in ride vehicles on a fast moving elevator was a bad idea for throughput an reliability.

Transformers are huge, slow elevators with the cars already locked on a track.

Transformers are huge, slow elevators with the cars already locked on a track.

Transformers elevators move pretty quickly. They're far from slow.

My trip in September became a little less exciting. At least I'm local so I can enjoy Rise when it opens here, but man.... kinda sucks.

Why? You get to visit DLR without any crowds, people will kill for that type of trip.

I have heard that this delay is because of the lack of a locking mechanism on the elevators. But not because the vehicles are moving, but because Cal/OSHA is requiring them to install some sort of locking mechanism.

DHS' is on schedule for it's original projected opening date of early Dec.