Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland’s Attendance Issues Summer 2019

They're losing money and want to attract new customers and their idea is to cut things while still charging an inflated price?

tenor.gif
Like we’ve said before: Disney has a HUGE ego. They would literally rather cut offerings or raise the prices on food or parking before they would even think of lowering/discounting prices. They have a financial ego to keep.

That being said, you think it’s a possibility they could kill tier pricing if this persists? They could still do that and technically that wouldn’t be lowering prices. Good luck trying to get people to pay $150 for one park/one day.
Olivanders sold one million dollars worth of wands in one day.

USH’s opening of Potter woes weren’t as bad as this.
Whoa. I did not know this.

Like we’ve said before: Disney has a HUGE ego. They would literally rather cut offerings or raise the prices on food or parking before they would even think of lowering/discounting prices. They have a financial ego to keep.

That being said, you think it’s a possibility they could kill tier pricing if this persists? They could still do that and technically that wouldn’t be lowering prices. Good luck trying to get people to pay $150 for one park/one day.

Whoa. I did not know this.

I'm now having a serious thought about skipping Anaheim on my trip, maybe even California all together because of this. I'm going to need a good excuse to visit DL this year and unless they drop the prices, I'm not going. Checking hotel prices there and they've dropped by about $250 since yesterday.

The local hotels are going to be pissed.

So Disney went through all that trouble with raising prices to keep the outrageous crowds away, and now they’re at the point to where they’re begging to get crushed.

View attachment 10136
They raised the prices because they thought Star Wars fans where as easy to hand over their cash than Disney fans and the park would be overrun by them and they would love that. They didn't care for the crowd, that is how they spin it and it's untrue.
They have a mechanism for if a park is extremely full; they close it for a bit. It's nothing new.

It’s insane that I just checked the wait times and the longest currently GotG:MB and RSR at 60min. When I was the last October midweek RSR hit 3 hours and GotG was 2.5 hours while PotC, HM, SM, ST were all running 90 min and almost all the fantasyland attractions were close to 1 hour to 1.5 hours. I almost wish I could visit now. Crazy these numbers. I absolutely adore the Disneyland resort and love the feeling I have when I’m there but maybe it is really pricing people out.

For perspective: Last year

1 day knots berry farm plus 2 queen suit at KBF hotel, tickets, food, and souvenirs for me wife and daughter $600

5 night cruise with balcony suite drink, gratuity, food, souvenirs, extra $2800

2 days Disneyland, 2 night stay at eden roc inn and suites($365 mind) off resort, MHH party night Disneyland, DCA tickets, food, souvenirs, extra cost $3000

Mind you it’s just me my wife and daughter yet Disneyland cost almost as much our first 7 days for only 2 by itself.

I’ll always find my way back to where the Magic began but that is downright getting obscene to afford.

Edit:
I have a vacation planned for WDW with my parents, brother and his fam and my family next year for 10 days next October. Parents are getting the rooms through DVC so just expenditures and tickets not including flight I plan on saving up 7 grand which seems insane but this may be the last great big family vacay so if it’s a kidney so be it lol.

Last edited:
Hoooo boy. I think Disney is going to be in really big trouble the rest of this year and next year. A lot of people who went, including me, are claiming there’s no familiarity...it doesn’t feel like Star Wars. Maybe people will be more interested once Rise opens, but even then, despite how detailed and cool-looking GE is, fans are “eh” about it.

Marvel is their hottest property right now. I wonder how guests are going to feel about the biggest craze right now being a downsized land being anchored with a Midway Mania clone next year? You know guests are going to be expecting a lot from Disney pushing a Marvel land with a ride based on Marvel’s most popular character. I think Disney is going to be in for some more pushback for mishandling their IPs.

If there seems to be some pushback from their Marvel land, maybe this might inspire the bean counters to....gee, I don’t know....ALLOW ORIGINAL IDEAS FOR RIDES.

It’s honestly shocking as all heck to me that Marvel, which is the film franchise that’s been disney’s Biggest bread and butter for years, (yes, I’d argue even more successful than Star Wars ever was. Even outside of Disney.) is getting a “ehhh, clone this ride!” Vibe to it. Extremely immersive super hero attractions, come on! Even six flags has a great one! I don’t always mind IP, but at least do something... interesting with it?

It’s honestly shocking as all heck to me that Marvel, which is the film franchise that’s been disney’s Biggest bread and butter for years, (yes, I’d argue even more successful than Star Wars ever was. Even outside of Disney.) is getting a “ehhh, clone this ride!” Vibe to it. Extremely immersive super hero attractions, come on! Even six flags has a great one! I don’t always mind IP, but at least do something... interesting with it?

This. If Universal can create one of the worlds best attractions out of Marvel before it was popular, Disney should be able to top them 20 years later. My God.

Disney blew their wad on Star Wars

Hoooo boy. I think Disney is going to be in really big trouble the rest of this year and next year. A lot of people who went, including me, are claiming there’s no familiarity...it doesn’t feel like Star Wars. Maybe people will be more interested once Rise opens, but even then, despite how detailed and cool-looking GE is, fans are “eh” about it.

Marvel is their hottest property right now. I wonder how guests are going to feel about the biggest craze right now being a downsized land being anchored with a Midway Mania clone next year? You know guests are going to be expecting a lot from Disney pushing a Marvel land with a ride based on Marvel’s most popular character. I think Disney is going to be in for some more pushback for mishandling their IPs.

If there seems to be some pushback from their Marvel land, maybe this might inspire the bean counters to....gee, I don’t know....ALLOW ORIGINAL IDEAS FOR RIDES.
Is it true that original ideas aren’t allowed?

Is it true that original ideas aren’t allowed?

Since they have to get approved, probably.

It's kind of funny how important precedent is to people's attitudes. The majority of people don't get angry when Universal does nothing but IPs because they've only done one original land throughout its history. If Orlando's HHN had always been like Hollywood's HHN no one would've gotten angry when 2012 came. Heck, I've seen plenty of people on Hollywood's HHN discussion who do not want more original content. We truly are creatures of habit.