Disneyland’s Attendance Issues Summer 2019 | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland’s Attendance Issues Summer 2019

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To most of the country, Star Wars Land hasn't opened yet. The locals park blocked out locals. The tourists are waiting for it to open at the tourist park. The people making the argument that all of DL is dead because of SW fatigue either really don't understand whats going on, or are anti-SW/ambivalent to SW people.

Or Trekkies....

There is no doubt those kinda tourists that, no matter what, are just clueless - but I'd also like to believe there's a good amount that does their research. If they are looking at dropping close to thousands for a trip, they may wait for the whole experience to open.

But hey, I've been wrong before. :lol:

The ones who do their research probably put their vacation off a year because they expected insane crowds. They are also more likely to go to Orlando.

A perfect example of people not researching their vacations are the countless people who go to "Harry Potter World" only buy one park tickets and then realize they can't get on the train. There's enough of them that Universal can justify having a ticket window there for upgrades.

PLUS, if people are saving up to travel to Disney to see GE, why go to DL when WDW will have the same thing but the park will be "bigger and better" than DL? I understand there's a whole separate argument for the last part, but from a general tourist's perspective, that may be something to consider.

DHS is bigger and better than DL?

PLUS, if people are saving up to travel to Disney to see GE, why go to DL when WDW will have the same thing but the park will be "bigger and better" than DL? I understand there's a whole separate argument for the last part, but from a general tourist's perspective, that may be something to consider.
Well, living on the west coast.....DL is FAR easier and cheaper to get to as a whole the WDW. So I would rather wait longer, than have to save ALOT more money to see the same thing.

Well, living on the west coast.....DL is FAR easier and cheaper to get to as a whole the WDW. So I would rather wait longer, than have to save ALOT more money to see the same thing.

You are in the minority though.

That poster is just saying for half of the country and Canada WDW is much easier park to access. Also it offers the full resort experience with multiple hotels and activities outside the parks.

A perfect example of people not researching their vacations are the countless people who go to "Harry Potter World" only buy one park tickets and then realize they can't get on the train. There's enough of them that Universal can justify having a ticket window there for upgrades.
Anyone remember when that was going to be a big issue and make Universal bad? I remember those arguments.

Also, I don't feel like people say "Well we'll just fly across the United States to see the one in Florida"

Like I know DisneySea is better than any park we have in the US, but it costs a lot to fly.

Reactions: UNIrd and Moose84
Actually for DL attendance, I'm going put this mostly on international travelers not visiting due to the IP and due to the saturation of Disney Parks in other locations in conjunction with the AP blackouts. Approximately 20% of LA tourism is based on international visitors which a good majority from Asian countries such as India, China, Japan, and Korea. (Source: Discover LA)

Typically where do most international tourists with money come from in Cali? Asia. Where has Star Wars majorly bombed? Asia. (Source: Box Office Mojo). So during the summer international tourism season, with APs blocked out, the foreign demo is not interested in the product being pushed out. Additionally going to USH, Potter's opening was soft but at the same time, Potter wasn't anything new to most of the Asian tourists as they could go to Osaka for quite cheap then go all the way to Hollywood to experience the same thing.

With the saturation of Disney Parks in Asia (HKDL, SHDL, TDL, TDS), I would say that going to Cali and going to DL is not special for a lot of foreign travelers as they can travel to larger and better themed parks in China and Japan that are also overall cheaper with better service.

I remember articles regarding Florida as well has indicated that international travel is up but less people are going to theme parks and doing other activities and visiting other locations in Florida instead and I believe the similar thing is occuring in Anaheim.

Actually for DL attendance, I'm going put this mostly on international travelers not visiting due to the IP and due to the saturation of Disney Parks in other locations in conjunction with the AP blackouts. Approximately 20% of LA tourism is based on international visitors which a good majority from Asian countries such as India, China, Japan, and Korea. (Source: Discover LA)

Typically where do most international tourists with money come from in Cali? Asia. Where has Star Wars majorly bombed? Asia. (Source: Box Office Mojo). So during the summer international tourism season, with APs blocked out, the foreign demo is not interested in the product being pushed out. Additionally going to USH, Potter's opening was soft but at the same time, Potter wasn't anything new to most of the Asian tourists as they could go to Osaka for quite cheap then go all the way to Hollywood to experience the same thing.

With the saturation of Disney Parks in Asia (HKDL, SHDL, TDL, TDS), I would say that going to Cali and going to DL is not special for a lot of foreign travelers as they can travel to larger and better themed parks in China and Japan that are also overall cheaper with better service.

I remember articles regarding Florida as well has indicated that international travel is up but less people are going to theme parks and doing other activities and visiting other locations in Florida instead and I believe the similar thing is occuring in Anaheim.
Yeah, but if someone from an Asian country is gonna book a trip to Disneyland, SWGE would just be icing on an already pretty sweet cake. What it really goes to is Disney scaring people about how crowded it was going to be. If they didn't pull that stupid move (on top of raising the prices to astronomical heights), then maybe the parks would actually be crowded right now. I know when I went in 2016 and 2017, the parks were packed, and that was mostly the 60th and GotG:MB doing the heavy lifting. Admittedly though, I don't know what the AP blockout situation was then.

I have to imagine a trip to the US is also way more expensive...I mean, just compare admission prices to TDL and DL

I believe they added the Select AP's to the blocked list for 2019. Previously they weren't fully blocked in the summer. The others AP's status stayed the same as in 2018 and 2017. .

Ooohh Ok i get it now. So blocking passes aside, rotr aside, raising prices aside, and speaking of insane crowds aside, Disney thought the starwars ip alone would still bring in massive crowds?

o24YWhd.gif

I think, no I am sure, the GP don't know a lot in general. If you stand behind a car at the entrance of DHS and you have passed many, many signs saying DHS and they ask "is this Universal Studios" than I wonder how you ever figured out to use toilet paper let alone fulfill a job that pays for on expensive Disney trip.
And I expect exactly that was the reason for the family fight at DL. Sure the guy expected his wife, who probably planned the vacation, to know only 1 ride was open and the rest was a glorified mall. I mean, if that isn't a reason to slap the hell out of each other... Yéh GP is stupid.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I think, no I am sure, the GP don't know a lot in general. If you stand behind a car at the entrance of DHS and you have passed many, many signs saying DHS and they ask "is this Universal Studios" than I wonder how you ever figured out to use toilet paper let alone fulfill a job that pays for on expensive Disney trip.
And I expect exactly that was the reason for the family fight at DL. Sure the guy expected his wife, who probably planned the vacation, to know only 1 ride was open and the rest was a glorified mall. I mean, if that isn't a reason to slap the hell out of each other... Yéh GP is stupid.

Yeah except the fight was because the guy brought his GF to DL not knowing his wife and family would be there too.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The average person online will probably just merge this with the DL Monorail closing daily story.