Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

If I remember correctly, Greg Nicotero was also how we got From Dusk Till Dawn in 2014..
Though if I remember correctly, Dusk Till Dawn was a flop in the maze ratings compared to the rest of the lineup, and we know that Murdy takes those ratings seriously, since he never experimented with another cult TV show after 2014 like that unless it had a substantial fanbase and was well established, which the TV show version of Creepshow has neither at the moment.

Though if I remember correctly, Dusk Till Dawn was a flop in the maze ratings compared to the rest of the lineup, and we know that Murdy takes those ratings seriously, since he never experimented with another cult TV show after 2014 like that unless it had a substantial fanbase and was well established, which the TV show version of Creepshow has neither at the moment.

You know, except for Ash vs Evil Dead, which also had poor ratings and barely had a substantial fanbase.

I don't know if it's 2019 Creepshow or OG Creepshow. I'm just saying it's very possible it's the former despite its lack of recognition (or release).

You know, except for Ash vs Evil Dead, which also had poor ratings and barely had a substantial fanbase.

I don't know if it's 2019 Creepshow or OG Creepshow. I'm just saying it's very possible it's the former despite its lack of recognition (or release).
By 2017 it had a pretty decent fanbase, decent enough for it to be pretty frequently requested, not to mention being based on a franchise previously successful at HHN.

Honestly 2019 Creepshow might be better suited for a Murdy style maze. Trick ‘r Treat last year had 4 or 5 main stories that had a lot of black walls in between, whereas if it’s 2019 Creepshow there’s 12 possible episodes to use. Even if they use half of that, that’s still about 2 rooms an episode given that it’s going in the largest tent.

But if it is 1980’s Creepshow then I hope they bust out the 3D walls for transitions

I'm just wondering what the pitch is gonna be from Warner marketing. Doctor Sleep the novel is so, so different from The Shining movie, that I can't help but imagine that tons of GA will be confused.

"We've made a sequel to the Shining!"
"Yay!"
"It stars psychic vampires who are dying of measles."
"...yay?"
"The hotel is only tangentially involved, but there is a little girl who fights people with her mind and has a magic choo choo train."

None of these are spoilers, they're part of the basic pitch. I just think people are gonna be blindsided when the movie actually comes out. That, and isn't Doctor Sleep kind of a weird title for a Shining sequel? Like, I know it's what the novel was titled, but there's nothing to indicate offhand that this is a sequel to one of the most iconic horror movies ever. It's just kinda weird they didn't try slapping a subtitle on.
Exactly, all of this!! Doctor Sleep has essentially nothing in common with Kubrick's film, but that's not at all how they're presenting it. Which, I mean, I get that—it's marketing, of course they're going to evoke The Shining as often as they can. But it's weird, just based on the trailer, it does seems like Flanagan has retooled aspects of the story to make it more in line with The Shining, but A) I'm not sure how much liberty he's taking, and B) I'm not sure it will do him any good to like, pit himself against such a towering film and director. Just kinda weird overall.

I actually like FDTD (The maze). I thought it flexed HHN’s better scenic. It wasn’t the scariest maze, but at least it didn’t have any black walls. I can tell you if that maze happened last year, it would’ve been rated the second best maze judging it against houses from the last two years.
Honestly 2019 Creepshow might be better suited for a Murdy style maze. Trick ‘r Treat last year had 4 or 5 main stories that had a lot of black walls in between, whereas if it’s 2019 Creepshow there’s 12 possible episodes to use. Even if they use half of that, that’s still about 2 rooms an episode given that it’s going in the largest tent.

But if it is 1980’s Creepshow then I hope they bust out the 3D walls for transitions
They could always try to do both. Realistically it will probably just be the reboot. :(

They could always try to do both. Realistically it will probably just be the reboot. :(

Honestly I’m fine with either. Creepshow has been a property I’ve been pretty numb on since it was first speculated but regardless it’ll still be a comic book anthology; just with 2 different Creepers and potentially different stories

By 2017 it had a pretty decent fanbase, decent enough for it to be pretty frequently requested, not to mention being based on a franchise previously successful at HHN.

They didn't do Ash vs Evil Dead because they wanted to adapt a fleetingly watched television series on Showtime. They did it because it had the Evil Dead/Bruce Campbell brand. Ditto with From Dusk Till Dawn... they weren't thinking "let's do this El Rey Network show." They got what they could and made the best of it (or not).

They didn't do Ash vs Evil Dead because they wanted to adapt a fleetingly watched television series on Showtime. They did it because it had the Evil Dead/Bruce Campbell brand. Ditto with From Dusk Till Dawn... they weren't thinking "let's do this El Rey Network show." They got what they could and made the best of it (or not).
Though even then Ash vs Evil Dead and Dusk Till Dawn retain a lot of the iconography from their more popular incarnations, for the Creepshow TV series the only piece of returning iconography we know of is The Creeper himself.

Though even then Ash vs Evil Dead and Dusk Till Dawn retain a lot of the iconography from their more popular incarnations, for the Creepshow TV series the only piece of returning iconography we know of is The Creeper himself.

This is true, and the only really differentiating factor to consider. That may not matter if they're intending to market the name and a piece of key art, but it could cause blowback for guests who aren't aware.

This is true, and the only really differentiating factor to consider. That may not matter if they're intending to market the name and a piece of key art, but it could cause blowback for guests who aren't aware.
I'd say pretty much the only way doing the TV series is a smart choice is if it releases soon and is a big success, otherwise a majority of people going because they heard there would be a Creepshow maze will come out disappointed.

3 From Hell Trailer released. It looks all sorts of insane.

That home invasion sequence they're teasing is almost definitely gonna be in it, assuming 3 From Hell is what they're doing a maze on.

Since Creepshow is an anthology, I could see them picking 3 stories from the film (Father's Day, Something to Tide You Over, The Crate), and maybe 2 from the series to depict in the maze.

I hope it's the original, as universal will have no idea if people will think the shows good or not. At least Us was made into a maze treatment in May, as they realized how popular the movie was. And don't say that they did this before with other mazes (The Thing, Dracula Untold, Crimson Peak), as those were owned by Universal themselves, Shudder isn't.

Well who’s to say they aren’t remaking sequences for the anthology? They could be remaking some of the stories; Twilight Zone did it so I wouldn’t put it past the producers to do it with Creepshow.

Also I don’t think they can pick and choose from both. Shudder is under AMC while the original is under Warner Bros so both parties would have to agree to that