Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

What if he has that mentality that theme park attractions, Halloween-based or otherwise, are "for kids/childish"? It's worth noting that both Universal and Disney have tried approaching King about theme park attractions in the past, long before HHN became a thing..
I don't think he's completely against theme parks, remember that they got pretty far along with a concept for a best-of-King ride on the spot that became MIB. I think it's something else.

I think it's a quality control thing for Stephen King. He's sold rights to individual stories for directors/writers for as low as $1 if they had a specific vision that King resonated with. With theme parks using IP, sure you can get a creative consultant credit and they'll advertise it as your work, but truly it comes down to the corporation footing the bill and building the ride that will be ultimately aligned with your brand regardless of what you say about it.

Remember prior to JK Rowling's deal with Uni for HP (where everything goes through WB and ultimately to JK for final OK), no one had creative control over their own work when translated to theme parks. "Jo Sez No" is a running joke, but that stipulation raised the game in theme parks around the world.

I think if someone gave him that, I think he'd say yes.

Last edited:
I think it's a quality control thing for Stephen King. He's sold rights to individual stories for directors/writers for as low as $1 if they had a specific vision that King resonated with. With theme parks using IP, sure you can get a creative consultant credit and they'll advertise it as your work, but truly it comes down to the corporation footing the bill and building the ride that will be ultimately aligned with your brand regardless of what you say about it.

Remember prior to JK Rowling's deal with Uni for HP, no one had creative control over their own work when translated to theme parks. "Jo Sez No" is a running joke, but that stipulation raised the game in theme parks around the world.

Makes sense, but I thought John Landis basically had that. I don't know, for a guy who's so open about much of his life (adaptations he didn't like, his own personal demons), it's odd he just won't come out and say "they're just cheesy cardboard sets and rubber masks." Makes it seem there is something deeper going on.

Remember prior to JK Rowling's deal with Uni for HP, no one had creative control over their own work when translated to theme parks. "Jo Sez No" is a running joke, but that stipulation raised the game in theme parks around the world.

I think it would be easier if it was a smaller-scale haunt, like that pop-up IT haunt they did a few years back. It's easier to control the entire experience in that form rather than the HHN conga lines.

Makes sense, but I thought John Landis basically had that. I don't know, for a guy who's so open about much of his life (adaptations he didn't like, his own personal demons), it's odd he just won't come out and say "they're just cheesy cardboard sets and rubber masks." Makes it seem there is something deeper going on.

Universal has also worked mostly with movie/tv studios and knows how those work. Getting approval from writers, game devs, etc is is a different beast.

(Potter is UOR -> WB -> Jo, btw)

Universal has also worked mostly with movie/tv studios and knows how those work. Getting approval from writers, game devs, etc is is a different beast.

(Potter is UOR -> WB -> Jo, btw)
Without going too far into the weeds, even with that org chart, it's still JK riding herd and not WB, right?

At the end of the day, money talks. If King was offered the same creative control as JK to design and build an IT house for HHN 30, and was offered a boatload of money or a large cut of merchandise sales, I'm sure they could convince him.

At the end of the day, money talks. If King was offered the same creative control as JK to design and build an IT house for HHN 30, and was offered a boatload of money or a large cut of merchandise sales, I'm sure they could convince him.

Maybe. He does seem like a guy who isn't ENTIRELY money driven. He often sells the rights to his movies to students for $1 to turn them into films.
I think he has a comfortable life and money isn't always everything. :shrug:

Was wondering if he just got a low ball offer

Also- Hello everyone! Been lurking for a couple weeks. I’ve been going to HHN for the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Maybe. He does seem like a guy who isn't ENTIRELY money driven. He often sells the rights to his movies to students for $1 to turn them into films.
We need to pull back on this narrative a little here. It's not like King is throwing out well-known properties with his "Dollar Baby" thing. He's selling the rights to very, very obscure short stories which are made into films that have basically no chance of ever receiving commercial distribution. In fact, there's only a handful that have ever been released commercially, and it was only after King had granted permission, which means he renegotiated the deal so he can get cut of sales. It's a charitable gesture, sure, but it's not like he's passing out properties like Oprah passes out Pontiacs—this isn't "You get an IP! You get an IP!"

I'm sure the situation is pretty simple. HHN used the Kubrick loophole for Shining, it rubbed King the wrong way for a lot of reasons (the fact that they weren't required to pay him is probably chief among them), and now he's reluctant to work with them. Pretty cut and dry.

We need to pull back on this narrative a little here. It's not like King is throwing out well-known properties with his "Dollar Baby" thing. He's selling the rights to very, very obscure short stories which are made into films that have basically no chance of ever receiving commercial distribution. In fact, there's only a handful that have ever been released commercially, and it was only after King had granted permission, which means he renegotiated the deal so he can get cut of sales. It's a charitable gesture, sure, but it's not like he's passing out properties like Oprah passes out Pontiacs—this isn't "You get an IP! You get an IP!"

I'm sure the situation is pretty simple. HHN used the Kubrick loophole for Shining, it rubbed King the wrong way for a lot of reasons (the fact that they weren't required to pay him is probably chief among them), and now he's reluctant to work with them. Pretty cut and dry.

Thanks for the correction. I had only just looked that up so didn't know all the details.

We will likely never know his real reasons. Pointless to speculate on really.

Stephen King essentially built half of my first college. He has enough money that this is not the case.

I swear though, if we got Us and Hollywood got the original Creepshow, I will be a Sour Patch Kid. I have a feeling it's just the TV show though. Not bashing Us of course, I love the film and have no idea how the house will be. I just really, really love Creepshow.

I swear though, if we got Us and Hollywood got the original Creepshow, I will be a Sour Patch Kid. I have a feeling it's just the TV show though. Not bashing Us of course, I love the film and have no idea how the house will be. I just really, really love Creepshow.

Agreed. I'm hoping that Orlando is saving Creepshow to feature at HHN30. I have my doubts, but we can always hope.

Us is a shared property. Creepshow is a Hollywood exclusive and there’s a chance it’s based on the Shudder reboot