Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF)

As I've said before, when I was there in May I specifically took notice of every 3D effect, due to the Hollywood change. Unlike some 3D films like Shrek, nearly every single scene of DM had a significant 3D effect. The screen in Orlando is quite small. This attraction will be significantly lessened with 3D removed.....Bad bad move on Universal's part.

The previous two rides in this building had no glasses....and a smaller screen

While not horrible, it does show that complaints about too many 3D things has been taken seriously

I think they may be nipping the motion sickness aspect in the butt immediately and then moving towards phasing out screen based attractions when they can.

Bottom line: I think they're starting to get complaints about motion sickness

The previous two rides in this building had no glasses....and a smaller screen

While not horrible, it does show that complaints about too many 3D things has been taken seriously

I think they may be nipping the motion sickness aspect in the butt immediately and then moving towards phasing out screen based attractions when they can.

Bottom line: I think they're starting to get complaints about motion sickness
I miss Hanna-Barbera. When the walls looked like a spaceship and the screen was a windshield the 2D worked well.

Yesterday I saw a thread in the Orlando Informer Facebook group saying they removed the 3D on Minions. I came over hoping to find out it wasn't true. Thats pretty dumb. I can't imagine the rides as fun without the 3D effects. Well at least my family and I got to ride it last month while it still had the 3D. Its not my favorite ride, but it still makes me sad.

Since they removed the 3D, does Gru still teach you how to use the "Minion Goggles" in the que? If not what did they replace it with?

The official line is that this change was made because of “guest complaints”. With it being one of the only rides aimed at kids in the park, I get cutting 3D as you are more prone to motion sickness at a younger age.

Interesting. I've actually found it to be the opposite. First time I went to Universal was 9 years ago, had no issues with motion sickness. Now I've found that I do have issues recently. So the older I've gotten the more I've had issues.

Interesting. I've actually found it to be the opposite. First time I went to Universal was 9 years ago, had no issues with motion sickness. Now I've found that I do have issues recently. So the older I've gotten the more I've had issues.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the younger thing. It's well known that as you get older you are more prone to it. I have rides that I avoid at this point because I know I'll feel like crap the rest of the day. Used to, I could marathon anything.

Yesterday I saw a thread in the Orlando Informer Facebook group saying they removed the 3D on Minions. I came over hoping to find out it wasn't true. Thats pretty dumb. I can't imagine the rides as fun without the 3D effects. Well at least my family and I got to ride it last month while it still had the 3D. Its not my favorite ride, but it still makes me sad.

Since they removed the 3D, does Gru still teach you how to use the "Minion Goggles" in the que? If not what did they replace it with?
at USH they replaced it with what I think Japan has. No Goggle talk anymore. I assume FL would be the same.

It’s a really strange and sad day when the answer to “less screens Universal!” is taking away a feature that makes screen rides a little more fun.
yes. I don't think this will be very immersive anymore. Now you'll just be watching a film in a seat that moves a bit. DM was actually a pretty immersive experience, especially considering it was just a refurb of a very old ride system.....Plays taps. :sadwave:

It’s a really strange and sad day when the answer to “less screens Universal!” is taking away a feature that makes screen rides a little more fun.
It's is a strange idea if you don't get sick on 3D rides. There is a good chunk of folks that can't handle it

A rebuttal would be, "Well then don't ride it" but when the rest of the park is full of more intense attractions that aim to shake you around more, people prone to motion sickness quickly run out of options.

I mean, even MIB spins you quite a bit

It's is a strange idea if you don't get sick on 3D rides. There is a good chunk of folks that can't handle it

A rebuttal would be, "Well then don't ride it" but when the rest of the park is full of more intense attractions that aim to shake you around more, people prone to motion sickness quickly run out of options.

I mean, even MIB spins you quite a bit
I understand completely where you are coming from. I visited with my buddy last week who came off sweating after riding forbidden journey and even said that Simpson’s was a challenge. He has a pass to USH and his options are extremely limited. I’m sure he’ll be more than thrilled about a 3-D removal. My comment was more so geared towards taking away a feature that was initially meant for the footage and makes the experience (usually) more enjoyable. Without a change in footage, we are left with giant golden snitch and even larger vin diesel in Orlando. In that respect, it takes away from the attraction...but I do obviously understand catering to motion-sick prone individuals in a park that seems to almost usually ignore them completely.

I understand completely where you are coming from. I visited with my buddy last week who came off sweating after riding forbidden journey and even said that Simpson’s was a challenge. He has a pass to USH and his options are extremely limited. I’m sure he’ll be more than thrilled about a 3-D removal. My comment was more so geared towards taking away a feature that was initially meant for the footage and makes the experience (usually) more enjoyable. Without a change in footage, we are left with giant golden snitch and even larger vin diesel in Orlando. In that respect, it takes away from the attraction...but I do obviously understand catering to motion-sick prone individuals in a park that seems to almost usually ignore them completely.
You are 100 percent right about it being weird, there is no getting around it. The film was made for 3D and should be presented as such

I may have said this already, but I hope this is an excuse to replace Minions with something more practical

I may have said this already, but I hope this is an excuse to replace Minions with something more practical

Honestly at this point, it’d be fun to use what that space was originally designed for at USH and go back to a practical stunt show. I’d pay big bucks to see those guys in the minion costumes on zip lines in a theatre. (Not sure if I’m being sarcastic or not because I think I’d really like to see this lol)

Last edited:
Hone

Honestly at this point, it’d be fun to use what that space was originally designed for at USH and go back to a practical stunt show. I’d pay big bucks to see those guys in the minion costumes on zip lines in a theatre. (Not sure if I’m being sarcastic or not because I think I’d really like to see this lol)
Ha!

Minions space doesn't have much room, but perhaps they could move the Minions to Kidzone or FFL's plot

Just spit balling, but I'm sure Universal is kicking themselves for not doing more with them

Ha!

Minions space doesn't have much room, but perhaps they could move the Minions to Kidzone or FFL's plot

Just spit balling, but I'm sure Universal is kicking themselves for not doing more with them
You’d have to think so! Especially given the potential and most likely longevity of the IP. But then again, maybe they like it just as it is. Who knows :shrug: