Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cats (2019 film)

also...this trailer is hilarious. and that rendition of "alone in the moonlight" was terrible.
.... the song is titled "Memory"...
And Idris Elba as Macavity...as long as they keep the Mungojerrie/Rumpleteazer song, I'm sold.
Judi Dench as Old Deuteronomy and Ian McKellen as Gus are, legitimately, inspired casting choices.

I get the hate its getting. The more I think about it, and the more I think about what they look to be doing, the more excited I get.

The problem is the only people who are sold based on this trailer are existing Cats fans, which I think is hardly enough to be a box office success.

It's the 4th most popular musical stage show of all time (according to google) with a global take of almost $3B so I'd say there are enough existing 'fans' to make it successful.

I hope it isn't though as it looks god awful!

Was taken to see this when I was a kid and it's the biggest pile of crap. Like watching a load of drama students who can't act trying to be a tree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've watched the trailer a couple of times, and I am now kind of used to how the Cats look. Honestly I know I am probably alone, but I'm glad they went for this approach rather than hyperrealism with emotionless animals as seen in Lion King. Still hoping the CGI gets cleaned up in the finished product though so they look more cute

I mean sure, the musical is a demented fever dream and yeah, this movie looks preposterously terrible on a visual effects/art direction level, but we're all talking about it, and a good many of us will see it.

They win!

Guys...This movie is based on one of the highest grossing broadway shows of all time.

Remember when Aladdin was gonna flop cuz of the Fresh Prince of Blue-air? Now it's set to make a billion.

Lion King, despite the uncanny valley, is gonna set records for a rotten movie on Rotten Tomatoes.

The Greatest Showman made over $170m domestic.

This movie is probably gonna do very well. It'll traumatize a generation of kids, to be sure, but it's gonna do very well in the process.

Guys...This movie is based on one of the highest grossing broadway shows of all time.

Remember when Aladdin was gonna flop cuz of the Fresh Prince of Blue-air? Now it's set to make a billion.

Lion King, despite the uncanny valley, is gonna set records for a rotten movie on Rotten Tomatoes.

The Greatest Showman made over $170m domestic.

This movie is probably gonna do very well. It'll traumatize a generation of kids, to be sure, but it's gonna do very well in the process.

I actually want to see it now out of pure curiosity. No interest before the trailer. Train wreck effect

I mean sure, the musical is a demented fever dream and yeah, this movie looks preposterously terrible on a visual effects/art direction level, but we're all talking about it, and a good many of us will see it.

They win!
Ain't that the truth. The trailer has 52K Likes compared to 100K Dislikes on Youtube, but we're all talking about it.

But as much as I love musicals, ain't no way in hell i'm going to see this thing. :lol:

why am i oddly attracted to Taylor Swift in cat form, but not in real life?

I may need to see a doctor.

also...this trailer is hilarious. and that rendition of "alone in the moonlight" was terrible.

Lo2KXvT.png

2alKO2W.png

Apparently universal is blocking any youtube video criticizing the movie or making fun of it by using copyright infringement strikes. They did not like the first reactions.... Streisand effect will soon follow lol

Apparently universal is blocking any youtube video criticizing the movie or making fun of it by using copyright infringement strikes. They did not like the first reactions.... Streisand effect will soon follow lol

Not sure this applies the cats trailer is already famous so this isn’t a bad idea on universals part? I think they will change the character designs slightly they have 6 months to edit stuff

Any evidence or documentation of this? Sounds like there's a real story here.

Is it because they're making fun of it or are they just taking down the videos of them watching the trailer?