Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

WWoHP has shown that you don't need the films specific characters walking around and doing meet and greets/photo ops to be successful.

So IMO bringing in classic characters isn't going to necessarily help anything to make it "feel" more like Star Wars.

The music I think will help more than adding classic characters.

But alluding to one of my previous posts, I think attendance issues have more do to with the land not being finished (RotR yet to open) and all of the blackouts. Fix those two bit and then see how things go.

Things like the location and what characters there are to interact with are red herrings IMO.

WWoHP has shown that you don't need the films specific characters walking around and doing meet and greets/photo ops to be successful.

So IMO bringing in classic characters isn't going to necessarily help anything to make it "feel" more like Star Wars.

But alluding to one of my previous posts, I think attendance issues have more do to with the land not being finished (RotR yet to open) and all of the blackouts. Fix those two bit and then see how things go.

Things like the location and what characters there are to interact with are red herrings IMO.

Great example! The fixes some fans are proposing are quite honestly bandaids that won't hold. The land does not need OG characters. The land just needs a finished ride, and maybe some more walk around characters/droids... a little more music... and you'll be set.

Great example! The fixes some fans are proposing are quite honestly bandaids that won't hold. The land does not need OG characters. The land just needs a finished ride, and maybe some more walk around characters/droids... a little more music... and you'll be set.
OT and PT characters don't fit the land, but another ride, music in the area (hell even the 15 minute loop at Harry Potter is better than just ambient sounds) and some non-human and non-wookie walkarounds will help make the land a lot better.

WWoHP does have film specific architecture and iconography though, something that SWL is missing minus the Falcon
I think he was stating WWOHP Doesn't have nor need characters and meet n greets to be successful and galaxy's edge shouldn't either. Although I guess the night bus and Hogwarts Express conductor in hogsmeade are character meet n greets??

I think he was stating WWOHP Doesn't have nor need characters and meet n greets to be successful and galaxy's edge shouldn't either. Although I guess the night bus and Hogwarts Express conductor in hogsmeade are character meet n greets??
I 100 percent see his point..Without meet n greets though the land is a "kind of looks like Star Wars" land...So, in this case, Meet and Greets help to enforce what the land is.

It *shouldn't* need meet and greets

While I agree with you, Disney has built such a culture around meet and greets that most expect one when a new IP land or ride opens. (Pandora is the exception due to no one knowing the characters but that’s another story) I think it’s just jarring to most that they can meet these characters outside of the land, then go in just to find them being non existent.

While I agree with you, Disney has built such a culture around meet and greets that most expect one when a new IP land or ride opens. (Pandora is the exception due to no one knowing the characters but that’s another story) I think it’s just jarring to most that they can meet these characters outside of the land, then go in just to find them being non existent.
I think M&G at Pandora would be tough, since its really hard to find 7 foot tall people. :D <plus, according to the backstory, that area is inhabitable for them because it has breathable atmosphere for us>

Hopefully Rise will help not just by being an incredible ride but by actually featuring the characters. Now I haven't actually been to Galaxy's Edge yet but my understanding is so far the only actually featured pre-exisisting characters are Chewie and Hondo on Smuggler's Run and Rex in the Cantina, with Rey, Kylo and The Storm troopers as walk-around/meet-and-greets. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now having walk around characters are great but they are unreliable, you never really know if they will be there. It's part of why it is so important to have familiar characters in the rides. We already know that Rise of The Resistance will have a bunch of Storm troopers and an encounter with Kylo Ren is all but confirmed at this point, but what about the others? Will Poe and Finn give us our mission at the start, will we see General Hux giving orders on the Star Destroyer, will BB-8 and Rose commandeer our ride vehicle, will Rey save us from Kylo? I certainly hope so, not just because I love these characters but because after spending a few minutes on a thrilling adventure surround by familiar Star Wars characters will help sell the illusion that this Star Wars land really is a Star Wars land.

Oh, I completely agree that RotR HAS to be an absolute winner. The the land as a whole is resting on this being a winner since Smuggler's Run doesn't seem to be a ride to anchor a land.

I do maintain that Smuggler would be well-received if it was one of four attractions in the land, the other "additional" two being smaller-scale stuff (like the proposed Bantha ride).

It's the IU way. Eat, Drink & be Merry. ...or something like that....:cheers:

And lose basketball games

I hope it's good...like seriously

There has never been a Disney sride with so much pressure on it to be phenomenal.

And I don't think we're talking phenomenal in a FoP way, where it's "phenomenal that WDW hadn't spent a ton of money on a ride in Like 15 yearss, so it's got a huge line because it's the only thing new" phenomenal.

Last edited by a moderator: