Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

D23 Expo 2019 - News & Speculation

Feige teased that they know the new line-up for Avengers 5, so that being the big reveal wouldn't shock me. Or at least ending with a date, maybe the villain.
I think it’s a bit early in the game to be hyping up a new Avengers film, especially since I don’t think such a film will hit theaters until about 2024/25-ish as an end to phase 5. They can wait until 2021 D23 or a future SDCC for that reveal, imo.

I think it’s a bit early in the game to by hyping up a new Avengers film, especially since I don’t think such a film will hit theaters until about 2024/25-ish as an end to phase 5. They can wait until 2021 D23 or a future SDCC for that reveal, imo.
It would be strange for Phase 4 to not end with an Avengers movie. Or have a strong ending at all.

Right now, Phase 4 doesn't feel as essential as the past phases. It just feels like a grab-bag of miscanellous movies they've had in production.

Simpsons 2 could be possible and with Disney in charge, I could definitely see it happening, but I really want them to confirm Bob's Burgers is still happening as I feel not much has been said on that front since initially announced. Also, Seth MacFarlane mentioned at SDCC that he has an idea ready to go for a Family Guy movie and it's "On his bucket list" to see happen, so that's something else to wonder about.
Simpsons 2 and a Family Guy movie fit into Disney's IP strategy too perfectly.

Simpsons particularly is at its lowest popularity ever. It seems like Disney is relying on Disney+ to revive Simpsons (the same way that Netflix has made some CW shows like Riverdale super popular). Not entirely sure if it'll work, but who konws.

It would be strange for Phase 4 to not end with an Avengers movie. Or have a strong ending at all.

Right now, Phase 4 doesn't feel as essential as the past phases. It just feels like a grab-bag of miscanellous movies they've had in production.

It truly does. I was woefully underwhelmed with the new spider-man. More of the same with very little reward.

I don't think we should get hung up on the "Phase" nomenclature. It seems pretty clear that Phases 4 and 5, with Disney+ now in play, are being split up so that Marvel doesn't have to drop 20 projects on us at once... but in execution, they will probably play out as one expanded Phase with an Avengers movie (or giant team-up equivalent) at the end of Phase 5.

I don't think we should get hung up on the "Phase" nomenclature. It seems pretty clear that Phases 4 and 5, with Disney+ now in play, are being split up so that Marvel doesn't have to drop 20 projects on us at once... but in execution, they will probably play out as one expanded Phase with an Avengers movie (or giant team-up equivalent) at the end of Phase 5.
I also think Multiverse of Madness has team up *potential*. At least potential for lots of Cameos. It’s a beginning of Summer movie and with the Multiverse in play, literally ANYONE - in one form or another - can show up.

Feige said that what they revealed at SDCC was the entirety of Phase 4, with the one that hasn’t been announced likely being the third Spider-Man film since Disney doesn’t actually own the distribution rights to it.

I think Disney/Marvel rather use the goodwill they got from Avengers to build up new franchises while the Marvel iron is hot rather than give us more sequels that are the same. (Plus those movies and all the stars are expensive. Use fresh meat on new contracts.)

Also for "phases should end with an Avengers story"-Iron Man started in 2008 and Avengers came out in 2012. They may want to use similar spacing to build narrative momentum.

Looks like this D23 Expo could be jam-packed, more so than usual. I'd love to check it out sometime, but every D23E they've had recently has had enough moments of f'd up ops/crowd control that I'm deterred on wanting to go. I'm generally pretty good at handling big crowds, but people missing panels due to a wonky/slow entry process, people not getting let into panels because they're quote "full", but confused friends in the panel show clearly otherwise, and then you have the animation panel disaster from the last Expo...just one of those is a big NO from me.

For a place that I felt had great ops and crowd control, the D23 Expo just makes them look like amateurs.

Looks like this D23 Expo could be jam-packed, more so than usual. I'd love to check it out sometime, but every D23E they've had recently has had enough moments of f'd up ops/crowd control that I'm deterred on wanting to go. I'm generally pretty good at handling big crowds, but people missing panels due to a wonky/slow entry process, people not getting let into panels because they're quote "full", but confused friends in the panel show clearly otherwise, and then you have the animation panel disaster from the last Expo...just one of those is a big NO from me.

For a place that I felt had great ops and crowd control, the D23 Expo just makes them look like amateurs.
Thing is, this will still only be their 6th Expo. So while you typically expect Disney to have good ops, they aren’t generally running a convention where everyone is trying to get into a panel that only allows for about 5% of all attendees to attend said panel. It’s just a completely different animal than what they are normally accustomed to dealing with.

I also think Multiverse of Madness has team up *potential*. At least potential for lots of Cameos. It’s a beginning of Summer movie and with the Multiverse in play, literally ANYONE - in one form or another - can show up.

Maybe. I'm hoping, though, that they're telling the truth about this being the MCU's first horror movie, and I think it being another big "all hands on deck" entry would overshadow that. But we'll see.

Thing is, this will still only be their 6th Expo. So while you typically expect Disney to have good ops, they aren’t generally running a convention where everyone is trying to get into a panel that only allows for about 5% of all attendees to attend said panel. It’s just a completely different animal than what they are normally accustomed to dealing with.

I can understand that, though I do feel they're at a disadvantage by having the Expo every two years. With ops/crowd control/logistics etc it would be more beneficial having it yearly to help hone in on problems and get a good flow of how things work. But I don't see them changing to a yearly schedule, so they're pretty much stuck.

I can understand that, though I do feel they're at a disadvantage by having the Expo every two years. With ops/crowd control/logistics etc it would be more beneficial having it yearly to help hone in on problems and get a good flow of how things work. But I don't see them changing to a yearly schedule, so they're pretty much stuck.
With their announcement schedule, every two years works better anyway. If they did a D23 Expo every year, the parks panels would suck half the time and the movie/animation panels wouldn’t have had the build up needed for a big panel of announcements.

Maybe. I'm hoping, though, that they're telling the truth about this being the MCU's first horror movie, and I think it being another big "all hands on deck" entry would overshadow that. But we'll see.
Everyone is blowing the whole horror comment out of hand. The actual quote was “first scary movie”. They didn’t even say horror. I’m expecting something light on horror elements, but integral to the story as it surrounds Scarlett Witch and her transformation to being a villain in that movie (my theory on what will happen based on comics).

Everyone is blowing the whole horror comment out of hand. The actual quote was “first scary movie”. They didn’t even say horror. I’m expecting something light on horror elements, but integral to the story as it surrounds Scarlett Witch and her transformation to being a villain in that movie (my theory on what will happen based on comics).

You may well be right. I haven't seen the exact exchange where they described the movie, so my initial expectations were informed by second-hand reporting.

I was hoping for the Multiverse angle to allow for monster/creature characters like Man-Thing, Werewolf by Night, and Sleepwalker to show up, as well as possibly introduce vampires into the MCU to pave the way for Blade. Plus there's one of Doctor Strange's big villains, Nightmare, still waiting in the wings to be used, and he's definitely a "scary" character if done right.

I'm sure I'm setting myself up for disappointment!