Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

This is an interesting development and could be interesting for Universal's future plans as well...

Lockheed Martin buys property from SeaWorld Orlando as reports surface about new missile - Orlando Sentinel

I'm thinking if Lockheed is buying land from SeaWorld, they may be even more interested in land that actually adjoins their existing campus. With all the available space right over in the Southpark Center (just over on John Young Parkway) it's surprising they would purchase something from SeaWorld which is just as far if not further.

I'm guessing they bought some of the land off Westwood where SeaWorld had been storing things. I noticed a few weeks ago they cleared the stuff that was in there out, so I guess this could be the parcel sold off.

Google Maps

If Lockheed is looking to expand, they always could make an offer that Universal can't refuse for some of those parcels around the new property.

This is an interesting development and could be interesting for Universal's future plans as well...

Lockheed Martin buys property from SeaWorld Orlando as reports surface about new missile - Orlando Sentinel

I'm thinking if Lockheed is buying land from SeaWorld, they may be even more interested in land that actually adjoins their existing campus. With all the available space right over in the Southpark Center (just over on John Young Parkway) it's surprising they would purchase something from SeaWorld which is just as far if not further.

I'm guessing they bought some of the land off Westwood where SeaWorld had been storing things. I noticed a few weeks ago they cleared the stuff that was in there out, so I guess this could be the parcel sold off.

Google Maps

If Lockheed is looking to expand, they always could make an offer that Universal can't refuse for some of those parcels around the new property.
From the sounds of the article, Lockheed is out of room and needing to expand

From ITV news:

In its statement, SeaWorld said: "It is disappointing to see Virgin Holidays succumb to pressure from animal activists who mislead and manipulate marine mammal science to advance their agendas.

"Virgin’s own corporate mission is having a measurable purpose that positively impacts communities and the environment. SeaWorld is the epitome of that mission."

The theme park says it has made 35,000 animal rescues and put in "decades" of meaningful scientific contributions to provide care to all of its marine mammals.

"No company does more to protect marine mammals and advance cetacean research, rescue and conservation than SeaWorld," it added.

The Association of Zoos and Aquariums, which accredits SeaWorld, said it is "very disappointed" with Richard Branson and said the quality of care provided by its member facilities is affirmed "through a rigorous accreditation process."

Turtle trek is not longer 3-D?
Correct.

And it plays on a loop. You just wander in and out as you please. It’s weird.
Requires no staffing now. While I like SeaWorld, they better watch it with these more recent cuts. There’s not much else they can cut that isn’t guest facing, so we’ll be seeing the cuts in a much more visible nature if they continue.

Requires no staffing now. While I like SeaWorld, they better watch it with these more recent cuts. There’s not much else they can cut that isn’t guest facing, so we’ll be seeing the cuts in a much more visible nature if they continue.
Cutting the preshow spiel that explains things in the film like the turtle safe fishing nets takes away the educational aspect of the attraction. I think I was more upset about that than them removing the 3D.

I wonder how many tickets they sell to SeaWorld a year
I recall a few years back that the Sea World CEO said they received one third of their attendance from International visitors. I'm sure that percentage slipped the past few years, and this will probably cut back on UK visitors significantly. That's a shame since the guest spending from an International visitor is probably way above a local visitor.

I recall a few years back that the Sea World CEO said they received one third of their attendance from International visitors. I'm sure that percentage slipped the past few years, and this will probably cut back on UK visitors significantly. That's a shame since the guest spending from an International visitor is probably way above a local visitor.
Most people here in the UK do not book park tickets through their airline though. We tend to use attraction tickets direct etc....

If Virgin sold lots of SeaWorld tickets, they would not have stopped selling them. It's interesting that they say they will no longer sell tickets to parks that have cetaceans, yet they still sell tickets to EPCOT. Seems like Virgin's so called morals can be overruled if there is too much money involved.

Most people here in the UK do not book park tickets through their airline though. We tend to use attraction tickets direct etc....

If Virgin sold lots of SeaWorld tickets, they would not have stopped selling them. It's interesting that they say they will no longer sell tickets to parks that have cetaceans, yet they still sell tickets to EPCOT. Seems like Virgin's so called morals can be overruled if there is too much money involved.
Yes. I would think both travel agencies are just using the animal stuff as an excuse. I would guess there was no longer enough business to support a business arrangement with SW.

There's still a LARGE parentage of SeaWorld/Busch Gardens visitors coming from the UK. And still when I talk to them they mention that SW/BG are their favorite (or should it be favourite since their from the UK) parks in Florida.

That whole area is just so well hidden. I literally couldn't find it last time I was at Sea World...I wouldn't be surprised if the projectors are shut off soon
I like the concept of Turtle Trek, but it is poorly executed. Visibility of the projectors distracts from the experience, as does the bad quality of the projection screen. I am sure if they got rid of Turtle Trek there would be room for a flat ride.