Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New water slide for Adventure Island in 2020?

Nov 7, 2016
Riding Lightning Rod
From Screamscape:

Adventure Island Addition - Rumor - (7/12/19) An interesting rumor came in this week regarding the installation of a new waterslide for Adventure Island in 2020. According to this source the park is planning to remove the uninspiring Key West Rapids slide to make room. If you visit the park soon, take a quick look around this site to see if there is any sign of survey markings in the area that would indicate new construction here, or the possible removal of this slide.

I'm completely fine with this. The Key West Rapids always seemed really boring to me, and I feel bad for all the workers that have to stand in the pools and push the raft along. Hope that a water coaster replaces it.

EDIT (7/25/2019): WE HAVE BLUEPRINTS! Reddit user mEntormike (the one who gave me these blueprints) says that this is being built by WhiteWater West.

EDIT 2: New Plans Detail Adventure Island Project 90 - Touring Central Florida
2d106cp.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't Key West Rapids also the one where the lifeguard was struck by lightning? Not to mention it looks like it hasn't been repainted--ever--and the queue setup forces you to first stand in disgusting puddles, then stand on scalding steps while carrying an unwieldy inner tube and trying not to fall. I suppose it's for the best that it go away, lol. The water coaster at Water Country USA looks awesome; hopefully something similar will come to Adventure Island.

Wasn't Key West Rapids also the one where the lifeguard was struck by lightning? Not to mention it looks like it hasn't been repainted--ever--and the queue setup forces you to first stand in disgusting puddles, then stand on scalding steps while carrying an unwieldy inner tube and trying not to fall. I suppose it's for the best that it go away, lol. The water coaster at Water Country USA looks awesome; hopefully something similar will come to Adventure Island.
It's a very weird slide, the stops in between where the lifeguard guides you to the next drop is super awkward

There's literally a better family raft ride across the park

Bring in a water coaster honestly

Looking at satellite images of Adventure Island right now, and man, that is a weird spot to put a new water slide. There's not much room there. Why don't they put a new water slide next to Wahoo Run, where there's literally an entire field of grass just waiting for an addition?

It's a very weird slide, the stops in between where the lifeguard guides you to the next drop is super awkward

There's literally a better family raft ride across the park

Bring in a water coaster honestly

Late reply, but I don't think KWR is a family raft ride at all. I just watched a recent tour of the park and a POV of the slide, and it seems like it's a single tube slide only. So it's a giant slide that only one person can go down at a time, where workers have to stand in pools to push riders along. Like, what? It's a massive waste of space, capacity, and workers.

If we do get a water coaster as a replacement for this (which I think we will), I doubt it'll be similar to Cutback Water Coaster at Water Country. That had a lot more space and a hillside to work with. I'm thinking more along the lines of Crush n' Gusher at Typhoon Lagoon. Short but sweet. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's two different sides of it.

Late reply, but I don't think KWR is a family raft ride at all. I just watched a recent tour of the park and a POV of the slide, and it seems like it's a single tube slide only. So it's a giant slide that only one person can go down at a time, where workers have to stand in pools to push riders along. Like, what? It's a massive waste of space, capacity, and workers.
You can sit in two person rafts last time I rode KWR, Wahoo Run is the family raft ride. I meant that Wahoo Run is a more fun slide for it being one of the family raft rides and KWR could easily be replaced by something else and not be missed.

Adventure Island Addition - Rumor - (7/16/19) According to one reader who visited Adventure Island, they claim to have spotted some survey markings around the retention pond that lies just behind Key West Rapids. No sign of any construction as of yet, though that will likely wait until the busy summer season is over.

If we do get a water coaster as a replacement for this (which I think we will), I doubt it'll be similar to Cutback Water Coaster at Water Country. That had a lot more space and a hillside to work with. I'm thinking more along the lines of Crush n' Gusher at Typhoon Lagoon. Short but sweet. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's two different sides of it.

Works for me--pretty much any new slide with the footprint of Key West Rapids is bound to be an improvement.
On a slightly related note, Adventure Island could really use some of those sidewalk spritzer things like they have at Aquatica. Every time I visit my feet get burns that hurt for days because the ground is so hot. I appreciate that they've added shaded queue areas on the ground for some of the slides, but just walking from one slide to another on the dry concrete is absolutely brutal. It could also use some covered eating areas, but I know that’s probably asking too much lol.

Last edited:
Saw this on a reddit post that I recently made about the topic. I have a hard time believing this, but thought I would post it here just in case it's real. From a user named mEntormike:

"Was able to get a peak at full set of blueprints. I can confirm that this will be replacing Key West Rapids. The stairs, upper platform, columns and most of the footers will be reused. The new slide will follow the same path as the old slide(practically identical overhead layout). It looks like there are no more pools throughout. The pool at the bottom of the slide will be removed and replaced with a trough. There are open and enclosed portions of the slide. Not sure what kind of raft if any will be used."

Link to reddit page: It seems like Adventure Island (BGT's water park) will be getting some sort of new slide in 2020. : rollercoasters

They certainly could. Krakatoa Aqua Coaster ends in a trough, a lot of rides do. Depends on the design and what the park wants really.

This constrictor in Texas is a tube slide with a run out ended as opposed to a pool.

Hawaiian-Falls-Waco-TX-USA.jpg

They certainly could. Krakatoa Aqua Coaster ends in a trough, a lot of rides do. Depends on the design and what the park wants really.

This constrictor in Texas is a tube slide with a run out ended as opposed to a pool.

Hawaiian-Falls-Waco-TX-USA.jpg

Based on this Video from a Constrictor slide from White Water West in Wet n Wild Gold Coast, it can end in a trough.

Dang, it looks like that's exactly what we're getting. Probably with upgraded capacity (4-6 people) and add some hills, and that's what the blueprints show. I'm a little disappointed that it's not a water coaster, but anything is better than Key West Rapids.

I've never tried linking to anything on here before, but here goes:

Seems interesting enough, plus the name and theme actually fit the park and don't sound cheesy, so there's that. I haven't seen any official concept art other than those clips of other slides, but they did provide a few details:
  • 55 ft tall
  • 707 ft long
  • 20 mph max speed
  • 2-4 person rafts
  • Undeniably impressive superlative of being America's first dual-tailspin AquaLucent water slide