Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Netflix is going to struggle. You do know that all of Netflix's most watched shows are 6+ seasons? (The Office, Friends, Parks and Recs, Grey's Anatomy...) people like shows that go on multiple seasons and can be binged watch to the point that they can restart and not remember everything that went on.

Do you know how many adult shows Netflix has that has made it even close? Only OINTB and House of Cards. With NBC, Disney, and Warner all pulling content, its just gonna leave CBS, Paramount, and Sony with content left on the service.
And don't be surprised if CBS-Paramount really focus on putting all their shows on Showtime OTT or CBS All Access after they finally re-merge CBS and Viacom into one company.

The only company that Netflix can count on 100% for future content sales is probably Sony Pictures for as long as they remain independent and without their own distribution. All the other major content producers are going to focus on their own distribution as they lose cable subscribers and focus on gaining internet OTT subscribers. That's just the future of content and distribution.

Smaller players such as in the US such as CW or BBC will probably lean on Netflix deals over making their own services. I think netflix paid quite a lot for decent rights to CW shows but CW needs netflix.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
Smaller players such as in the US such as CW or BBC will probably lean on Netflix deals over making their own services. I think netflix paid quite a lot for decent rights to CW shows but CW needs netflix.

CW shows are produced by CBS and Warner and they already ended their netflix deal. BBC has Britbox streaming service and their upcoming shows are co-prods with HBO and other big studios which will distribute them on their services.

Netflix isn't going anywhere. They've raised prices 40% and lost 2/3rds of their library in the past two years. Yet, their subscriber growth has stayed constant.

The CEO of WarnerMedia (HBO, DC, WB) has said that there's only going to be "more than 4, less than 10" successful streaming services. Netflix will be one. Amazon (it's free!) another. Hulu and Disney+ make 4. HBO is probably 5. Apple can push their service to 1B devices, so good chance they're 6.

Every one else needs a hell-of-a-good reason to survive. I don't see WarnerMedia's streaming service subscribing unless they basically make it a free add-on to HBO. NBCUniversal's streaming service is DOA because Comcast won't be willing to jeopardize their cable sales enough to make it an attractive service.

I wouldn't count premiums like hbo as a service that will either make it or not. They have always made a limited amount of content based on a smaller market of costumers paying them on top of whatever else they were buying. They charge more than Netflix with way less content. As long as they curate good enough quality content people will pay the premium.

I do think there is a max number of streaming services people will subscribe to before they just have enough to watch and just wait and swap out services for other ones at times. As much we complain they are trying to put content on all these services exclusively so we end up with essentially cable 2.0, people have way more options now. People can catch up years later on all the content they missed and can plan to maximize the value they get from a given streaming service. They were kind of force to subscribe to more at once with cable or risk missing out on some things.

I wouldn't count premiums like hbo as a service that will either make it or not. They have always made a limited amount of content based on a smaller market of costumers paying them on top of whatever else they were buying. They charge more than Netflix with way less content. As long as they curate good enough quality content people will pay the premium.

I do think there is a max number of streaming services people will subscribe to before they just have enough to watch and just wait and swap out services for other ones at times. As much we complain they are trying to put content on all these services exclusively so we end up with essentially cable 2.0, people have way more options now. People can catch up years later on all the content they missed and can plan to maximize the value they get from a given streaming service. They were kind of force to subscribe to more at once with cable or risk missing out on some things.
If I had to choose Netflix or HBO, it would be HBO any day of the week. They have a wide selection of movies and their original content is almost always amazing. Netflix's original content is miss more than hit most.

Quality > Quantity

Yeah once Disney plus drops I’m stopping Netflix. I’ll buy a month when an interesting show comes out.

That’s my plan. Netflix has some good shows but as they lose more and more content to other services I don’t see the value in it anymore. I can definitely see Netflix moving away from dumping all episodes at the same time to prevent people from signing up and dumping the service after a binging the season.

So we're hard at work on our streaming plans. We're planning on announcing more details as we get closer to the launch. Our goal is to launch the service next April. We have over 500 people working on the service at present. We're using the NOW TV platform that has worked so well in Europe as really the platform foundation. We believe we have a very innovative way of coming into the market that is very different than anything else in the market and, we believe, has very attractive financial aspects versus other ways to get into streaming.

The Office was important to us because, according to Nielsen, The Office is the number one show on Netflix. It's about 5% of all of Netflix's volume, which, obviously, a show that was on NBC and is tied to the DNA of NBC. And we see The Office as being one of the tent pole programs on our platform. So we'll have more to talk about. I think for competitive reasons, we believe we've got some ideas that are innovative and don't really want to share those until we get right close to launch, but we're very pleased to have The Office and very optimistic about our streaming plans at this point.
------------------
In terms of Sky Studios, really, our focus is on own originated content and European content. And I think this is going to be extremely powerful for us because, I think, there's a big opportunity to develop European stories at a scale that we've never really seen before. It's no surprise to me that both Game of Thrones actually, but also Chernobyl did particularly well here. Game of Thrones essentially was shot in Europe. It had a lot of European actors. And of course, Chernobyl, a difficult subject, is one of the great sort of European stories over the last few decades.

So I think there's a real spot for us to drive into now Sky Studios. It will be the vehicle that we'll use to do that and that will complement all of the acquired programming that we are getting from around the world, but will be very, very different as well because it will be essentially European. So it fits really very well with us. And of course, we'll displace some of the acquired program -- programming with more of our own
--------------------------

Well, first of all, our service is very different than Netflix. I do think when Netflix started, it was all acquired programming. And I believe, today, acquired programming is something like 80% of Netflix's volume. The vast majority of our volume, I expect to be acquired. We are spending some money on originals. And we've announced that we're doing another year of A.P. Bio. And we have another -- we have a number of originals that are actually tied to libraries that we currently own. But I would expect the vast majority of the consumption in the beginning would be acquired.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that they’re planning this service, but just signed an exclusivity deal for Dreamworks properties to be on Hulu starting in 2020 (which includes TV shows).

I find it interesting that they’re planning this service, but just signed an exclusivity deal for Dreamworks properties to be on Hulu starting in 2020 (which includes TV shows).
To be fair, that deal was signed before the Disney-Fox deal when Comcast expected to return to power in Hulu with board seats and equal say for the long-term.

I really don't think Comcast expected to start their own streaming service at all until 2022 or so but were forced to by Disney and AT&T moving so quickly in that direction. That's why they were so willing to give all the DreamWorks properties to Hulu for a while.

I do expect virtually all of the DreamWorks properties to go to Comcast's streaming service next time around in the mid-2020s (including the remaining Netflix shows).

To be fair, that deal was signed before the Disney-Fox deal when Comcast expected to return to power in Hulu with board seats and equal say for the long-term.

I really don't think Comcast expected to start their own streaming service at all until 2022 or so but were forced to by Disney and AT&T moving so quickly in that direction. That's why they were so willing to give all the DreamWorks properties to Hulu for a while.

I do expect virtually all of the DreamWorks properties to go to Comcast's streaming service next time around in the mid-2020s (including the remaining Netflix shows).

If i may be clear, the deal isn't a full exclusivity deal.

Hulu deal covers original shows and Dreamworks theatrical releases.

Netflix deal covers original shows based on Universal properties and original shows now even with the deal approved for Hulu.

Universal Kids gets access to original shows and rights for past Dreamworks shows.

Amazon has rights to Bullwinkle and KFP based shows.

Also Dreamwork block and Dreamwork channels internationally get access to all Dreamworks properties even with all the deals as well as all Pay-tv deals remain in place.

All in all...the number of companies licensing Dreamworks shows and IPs gives greater reach and funding.

Reactions: Nick
If i may be clear, the deal isn't a full exclusivity deal.

Hulu deal covers original shows and Dreamworks theatrical releases.

Netflix deal covers original shows based on Universal properties and original shows now even with the deal approved for Hulu.

Universal Kids gets access to original shows and rights for past Dreamworks shows.

Amazon has rights to Bullwinkle and KFP based shows.

Also Dreamwork block and Dreamwork channels internationally get access to all Dreamworks properties even with all the deals as well as all Pay-tv deals remain in place.

All in all...the number of companies licensing Dreamworks shows and IPs gives greater reach and funding.
Yeah, I just think the next time around, NBCU-Sky's service will get most of the content. There might still be some tv shows that are left on Hulu and Netflix per deals with them, but the movies and vast bulk of their original programming will go "home" to the NBCU-Sky service.

If Comcast was deciding what to do with Dreamworks' stuff today, they'd make a different decision than the one they made early last year.

Yeah, I just think the next time around, NBCU-Sky's service will get most of the content. There might still be some tv shows that are left on Hulu and Netflix per deals with them, but the movies and vast bulk of their original programming will go "home" to the NBCU-Sky service.

If Comcast was deciding what to do with Dreamworks' stuff today, they'd make a different decision than the one they made early last year.

Remember the goal of the service isn't to reward cord cutters but to reward those with Pay Tv subs per NBC themselves. Hulu has a pay tv element so those getting the DWA shows on Hulu and have Hulu+live TV already would have access to those shows even if on NBCU streaming app.

Additionally Sky Studios already is already working on selling their content to other pay-tv providers in Europe outside of Sky to stream/air their shows. That was mentioned in the earning call. I feel Dreamworks is the same way for Universal in its a content producer vice Universal's in house production studio for themselves.

Darroch was clear that while the current strategy will see Sky Studios doubling the amount of originals currently produced by the pay TV operator, further money could be injected if required. “We’ll double the amount of original programming we have and we have the capacity to take that further quickly if we so want to,” he said, adding that over the past quarter, viewing of Sky’s original programming “was more than double what it was a year ago.”

On top of that, he said, there remains a “secondary market” for its programming, with shows being sold in market or to other retailers. “So for example, we’ve got relationships with all the telcos and the cable businesses in Europe to sell our content to their customers. And our revenues are up something like 30% in terms of content sales year-on-year. We’ve got a lot of good options available to us, and we’ll just have to see how commercial negotiations pan out.”

Also just think of the viewership they reach for the Dreamworks brand by not keeping everything under one controlled streaming service.

Granted it may not have been there original plan but with everyone tightening their reigns they might actually have a great deal going.

Could be totally wrong but maybe the powers that be will consider the crazy thought that people like other people’s stuff too and start the wave to bundle streaming service packages lol or maybe I’m being overly optimistic lol. Either way they make money on the licensing deals.

Compared to Disney + and HBO Max, NBCUniversal does not have that marquee property to be THE selling point for a streaming service to compete with others. Their only blockbuster franchises are Jurassic World and Fast and Furious, only one of them is going out from the spotlight in 2021, leaving the other very intact, possibly not much longer. I might be more interested in Universal's streaming service if NBCUniversal has acquired Fox instead of Disney, but since their parent company--Comcast--chose to go after Sky instead, they let the opportunity go to waste. They have the horror movies from Monster movies to Blumhouse, yes, but not enough for mainstreain audiences as a whole. DWA and Illumination are something I'm not totally invested in either, and The Office is something people have seen a million times already.

and The Office is something people have seen a million times already.

Honestly, once The Office and Parks and Rec leave Netflix, I'll probably just buy the box set for each of them. I'd rather do that than pay for the NBC streaming service since those are the only two shows of their's I like to rewatch.

Reactions: Doug A.
Compared to Disney + and HBO Max, NBCUniversal does not have that marquee property to be THE selling point for a streaming service to compete with others. Their only blockbuster franchises are Jurassic World and Fast and Furious, only one of them is going out from the spotlight in 2021, leaving the other very intact, possibly not much longer. I might be more interested in Universal's streaming service if NBCUniversal has acquired Fox instead of Disney, but since their parent company--Comcast--chose to go after Sky instead, they let the opportunity go to waste. They have the horror movies from Monster movies to Blumhouse, yes, but not enough for mainstreain audiences as a whole. DWA and Illumination are something I'm not totally invested in either, and The Office is something people have seen a million times already.

I think this service will come to surprise people....one thing Universal when asked about the service is not saying much for competitive purposes. However, you are wrong abour Sky? What shows does Sky also coproduce as well as distribute? Look up the number of HBO and Showtime times that Sky has production/distribution rights to? Those will be brought to this service...add in all the shows they produced for other networks, NBC, USA, Syfy, Bravo, E!, Universal Kids, etc plus the back catalog, plus the shows that Amblin still has distribution rights to through their ownership, plus show rights they obtain from outside studios.

Meanwhile, development around NBC-Universal’s streaming service has been much more opaque. Almost no series commitments have been made at this point, prior to its 2021 rollout.

Among those in the mix: Single-cam comedy “AP Bio,” revived for a third season after NBC canceled it back in May. The company also announced in August that two projects — a pilot based on the book “One of Us Is Lying” and a “Queer as Folk” reboot — are set up at the new streamer. The former was previously in development at E!, while the latter was being readied at Bravo. The service will also be the exclusive streaming home of “The Office” when the show’s deal with Netflix expires in 2021.

While there are more projects in development yet to be announced, multiple agency sources who spoke with Variety say that NBCU has lagged behind other streamers in terms of outlining a programming strategy to agency partners. One source says that NBCU is beginning to ramp up its development slate, but it currently has nowhere near the appetite of HBO Max.

But perhaps patience is in order: The NBCU programming that has been announced so far is not indicative of any larger strategy, according to a separate source familiar with the matter. The company plans to announce its initial slate for the NBCU streaming platform in the fall, though an exact date has not yet been specified.

Snippets of NBCU’s overarching content philosophy can be gleaned from on high. NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke said on Comcast’s July 25 earnings call that the service will be “very different” from Netflix. He does expect most of the NBCU streamer’s content to be leveraged from existing sources — noting that acquired programming makes up the bulk of Netflix’s content by volume — though NBCU is investing
in originals.

We have a number of originals that are actually tied to libraries that we currently own,” said Burke. “But I would expect the vast majority of the consumption in the beginning would be acquired.”

The interesting thing so far is its been quite quiet on that front on what originals based on their properties they are working on.
Budding Streaming Services HBO Max, NBCUniversal Differ in Approach – Variety

I think this service will come to surprise people....one thing Universal when asked about the service is not saying much for competitive purposes. However, you are wrong abour Sky? What shows does Sky also coproduce as well as distribute? Look up the number of HBO and Showtime times that Sky has production/distribution rights to? Those will be brought to this service...add in all the shows they produced for other networks, NBC, USA, Syfy, Bravo, E!, Universal Kids, etc plus the back catalog, plus the shows that Amblin still has distribution rights to through their ownership, plus show rights they obtain from outside studios.

What shows they produced that have as much of a popular and cultural impact as Disney Channel and Cartoon Network shows, as well as several WB-produced shows? So far all I know is Mr. Robot and Blacklist.